Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:22 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Doesn't Ridgefield have an agreement where they are incorporated some students from Danbury area. Knew in the past theu were. I mean they are all stellar school districts academically due to it's affluence. Outside of that won't say anything.
Not to my knowledge, no.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:32 PM

854 posts, read 1,240,885 times
If you want to move to a country that has only white people, consider immigrating to Belarus.

Last edited by wtby4000; 04-04-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 PM

39 posts, read 43,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This.

Greenwich has always been diverse. If the OP desires a less diverse, more uniform community, New Canaan, Darien, Westport, Weston, Ridgefield, Easton and Wilton are nearby. Problem solved!
Greenwich has not always been diverse. As recent as 1983 the currently most "diverse" school system was still 83% white. Since that time it has been flooded with impoverished non whites. Western Middle School in Greenwich CT - SchoolDigger.com

There is a steady DECLINE of that school, and other schools as more and more people who do not pay into the system are flooding into the system.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownguyCT View Post
First, this article (blog post) is from 2012.

It is true that test scores on the western side of town are significantly lower than the eastern and central sections, but it has nothing to do with the quality of education - it has to do with the fact that a significant number of students do not speak English as their first language.

The town did a comprehensive residency check last year and found that almost every single student was a legal resident of town. Because real estate is much cheaper in the western side of town, and there are a number of rentals, that happens to be where the lowest income families live. Many of them are minorities and/or immigrants. They pay taxes too, and have a right to go to school.

Greenwich is (somewhat) diverse, and has been for decades. If you have a problem with your future children being in a district that isn't entirely rich and white, there are plenty of other towns in CT that will meet your criteria.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:38 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Greenwich has not always been diverse. As recent as 1983 the currently most "diverse" school system was still 83% white. Since that time it has been flooded with impoverished non whites. Western Middle School in Greenwich CT - SchoolDigger.com

There is a steady DECLINE of that school, and other schools as more and more people who do not pay into the system are flooding into the system.
In my lifetime, and probably yours, Greenwich has been diverse. This is nothing new, and it's a great thing. As I said earlier, if you dislike diversity, move to a less diverse town where you'll feel more at ease.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
First, this article (blog post) is from 2012.

It is true that test scores on the western side of town are significantly lower than the eastern and central sections, but it has nothing to do with the quality of education - it has to do with the fact that a significant number of students do not speak English as their first language.

The town did a comprehensive residency check last year and found that almost every single student was a legal resident of town. Because real estate is much cheaper in the western side of town, and there are a number of rentals, that happens to be where the lowest income families live. Many of them are minorities and/or immigrants. They pay taxes too, and have a right to go to school.

Greenwich is (somewhat) diverse, and has been for decades. If you have a problem with your future children being in a district that isn't entirely rich and white, there are plenty of other towns in CT that will meet your criteria.
Since I am curious to know more about this "comprehensive residency check" I will have to do some investigating on that. I am extremely skeptical how one can afford to live even in Byram in an apartment larger than 1BR on the income of a day laborer and a house cleaner though. I would think unless you are cramming 8 people into a 1BR apartment it would be impossible to afford to live there and I would be interested to see if that Data was gathered. When we moved to Greenwich without children we were making about 80K total together and after all of the taxes and cost of living of living here we were not too well off at all. I don't think you can survive in Byram without some serious funny business going on. Tell me where the $900 a month 3BR apartments are in Byram and I will move there right now.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:09 PM

854 posts, read 1,240,885 times
Quote:
This is a fully legitimate discussion about the decline of Greenwhich schools.
Is this an adult conversation below? Your April fool's joke is three days too late.

Quote:
I am sick and tired of being told by Liberals that I must be taxed to pay for my replacement. I didn't start making babies at age 17. I finished school, went to college, worked hard, and got a great job. I have worked like a maniac all of my young life and now at age 30 finally feel secure enough to be able to afford children. I earned my right to send my children to an excellent school in an excellent town. I think we need to build a WALL between Greenwich and Port Chester since it's clear to me that the 37.9% have not been "paying their fair share" to send their kids to these schools.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Is this an adult conversation below? Your April fool's joke is three days too late.
Oh I see, so it's gotten so bad now that I can't even talk about it how bad it's gotten anymore?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 PM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
Quote:
Since I am curious to know more about this "comprehensive residency check" I will have to do some investigating on that. I am extremely skeptical how one can afford to live even in Byram in an apartment larger than 1BR on the income of a day laborer and a house cleaner though. I would think unless you are cramming 8 people into a 1BR apartment it would be impossible to afford to live there and I would be interested to see if that Data was gathered. When we moved to Greenwich without children we were making about 80K total together and after all of the taxes and cost of living of living here we were not too well off at all. I don't think you can survive in Byram without some serious funny business going on. Tell me where the $900 a month 3BR apartments are in Byram and I will move there right now.
It sounds like you've never heard of Section 8. It's this thing where the government subsidizes people to live in places they can't actually afford, as long as the rent is not higher than the average rent for the area. Whenever you wonder to yourself how low-income people have managed to move in next to you, that's your answer.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:24 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
As a productive tax paying middle class Greenwich resident who is planning to start a family and currently living in Greenwich I cringe when I look at what is happening to Greenwich schools. I recently read an article that test scores in some of the Greenwich schools are worse than BRIDGEPORT. I will be likely moving to Wilton, Redding, or perhaps New Canaan. Greenwich schools are going downhill fast. Just look at Western Middle School. 37.9% of students are receiving a free or discounted lunch in GREENWICH CONNECTICUT. Isn't that odd? I wonder where these people live and what their parents do for work.

What else could you expect when such a huge % of the students are coming from the poorest areas of NY? Why is that the schools in Greenwich follow racist and unconstitutional laws by specifying that some schools are "TOO WHITE"! I am sick and tired of being told by Liberals that I must be taxed to pay for my replacement. I didn't start making babies at age 17. I finished school, went to college, worked hard, and got a great job. I have worked like a maniac all of my young life and now at age 30 finally feel secure enough to be able to afford children. I earned my right to send my children to an excellent school in an excellent town. I think we need to build a WALL between Greenwich and Port Chester since it's clear to me that the 37.9% have not been "paying their fair share" to send their kids to these schools.
OH MAI GAWD. Who the hell came up with this idea of feeding kids? They should be kicked out of the country. Must be a bunch of commies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut