U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:55 AM

5,750 posts, read 9,493,585 times

Advertisements

ukusmom, have you thought about Rhode Island? Similar climate and neighborhood feel to Ct but may be a more affordable option- especially now- house prices in many areas are very low. A nice house for 200K is possible for the first time in many years- it won't be a palace- but a decent house in a decent area. Look at Warwick, Cranston, Warwick, North Providence. The "Providence Plan" website has much info on specific areas/neighborhoods with ethnic and income breakdowns. Try RILiving. com for a house search.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM

57,646 posts, read 40,054,207 times
ukusmom, I think Milford is your best best if you really liked it. You can try towards the water off Exit 40. Great areas down there. I have a condo in Southwind village for 5 years. All my tenants loved living there in Milford. Go for a 3 BR condo instead of a house right now.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 15,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I appreciate your comments and agree that you should be careful about salaries when moving to more expensive parts of the country. I must however question your comment on "good paying jobs" being concentrated in the southern part of the state. The greater Hartford area including the I-91 corridor up to the Massachusetts border has many well-paying jobs in many different professions. I am not sure where you live or what you do for a living but you can find good jobs around Hartford. These jobs may not pay quite as well as similar jobs in Fairfield County, but they certainly are comparable to New Haven County. Jay
Jay,

I live in the Newtown area. I'm commuting to Norwalk, which takes an hour. Hartford is an hour in the other direction. Hartford/Norwalk/Stamford are where I see most jobs advertised. I'm an administrative assistant and need to make at least $40,000.

I'm not sure how far New Haven is from here but I don't think it's close. I'd love to be within 1/2 hour from home. I would appreciate any suggestions you could make. We moved from the suburbs of Philadelphia so I am used to a larger job market and not used to searching so long and hard to find something. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Heather

Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 AM

14,590 posts, read 20,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaredzz View Post
Jay,

I live in the Newtown area. I'm commuting to Norwalk, which takes an hour. Hartford is an hour in the other direction. Hartford/Norwalk/Stamford are where I see most jobs advertised. I'm an administrative assistant and need to make at least $40,000.

I'm not sure how far New Haven is from here but I don't think it's close. I'd love to be within 1/2 hour from home. I would appreciate any suggestions you could make. We moved from the suburbs of Philadelphia so I am used to a larger job market and not used to searching so long and hard to find something. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Heather
Heather-

New Haven from Newtown isn't too bad of a drive - down 34 from Sandy Hook right into New Haven. The drive is about 30 miles, approx. 35-40 minutes. You don't have to get on any highway to commute so traffic isn't much of an issue. Good luck

Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM

3,162 posts, read 4,594,218 times
I recently bought a home in West Haven right near the water and the Woodmont section of Milford. 3 years ago purchasing the property I bought would not have been possible if we weren't in the current real estate downturn. West Haven evidently had quite a few speculators who abandoned ship resulting in quite a few foreclosure properties.

There are currently over 200 homes in West Haven available for $200k or less.

West Haven has beautiful beaches, is close to New Haven and several area colleges, is located within a couple of miles of many restaurants and shops, and will soon have a brand new train station providing commuting opportunities into NYC.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 PM

69 posts, read 206,940 times
Can anybody tell me if there are any specific areas in Milford and also West Haven -- considered family-friendly to live in -- within a maximum 20-minute walk from the train station -- where I could find a house under 300,000 and a good-sized (1/2 acre minimum back yard? I know this is asking a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 PM

8,783 posts, read 15,352,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siri View Post
Can anybody tell me if there are any specific areas in Milford and also West Haven -- considered family-friendly to live in -- within a maximum 20-minute walk from the train station -- where I could find a house under 300,000 and a good-sized (1/2 acre minimum back yard? I know this is asking a lot.

Thanks in advance.
I don't think you'll find any specific areas that meet that requirement. You might find an "oddball" lot here and there, but generally speaking, you'll need to go further north than a "20 minute walk" to get a neighborhood with 3/4 acre(+) lots.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM

22,361 posts, read 36,868,718 times
West haven does not have a trains station yet so you would have to travel to Milford or New Haven. A station is in the planning but it is years from becoming a reality. As to finding a half acre property near the train station in Milford, it will be difficult but you never know. In Milford the larger lots are mostly north of Route 1. Why do you need such a large property? Could you do with say 1/3 or 1/4 acre? That might be more doable. Jay

Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM

69 posts, read 206,940 times
"Why do you need such a large property" he asked. And I blush. I feel the same guilt I feel when all my realtors ask that question!

My husband used to have a big farm, has been living in the city (NY) way too long, and is chomping to get his fingers deep in the soil.... I guess that's a "big" span of soil..... Don't worry, we're looking in other CT areas where land is more affordable, but then the train access is more of a pain.

Oh, life and its challenges! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,755 times
Try Torrington. Nice people. Inexpensive housing and low crime. Delightful place to live and I am moving back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut