U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 AM

78 posts, read 299,233 times
Default Affordable places to live in CT?

I apologize in advance if you see this message on other boards. I am desperate to get help. Many of you have answered my questions in the past, and I appreciate it.

We are a young family of four and VERY middle class. We don't make a lot of money, but enough to where I am able to stay at home with our two children.

We currently live in VA, and although we have met some wonderful people, we aren't happy with the area at all. There just isn't enough to do, especially for children, unless we go out to eat or go to church. We have researched places that we would love to live, but EVERYWHERE that we are considering is too expensive. I'm hoping someone knows of an affordable alternative. These are the things we are looking for:

Good public schools, low crime. We need a place that is affordable. We were very interested in either Ithaca, NY or Milford, CT. The thing we like about Milford was that it has a downtown area where you can walk around and shop, have a coffee, take the kids out in the stroller, but also not be that far from a larger city. That would be our ideal type of setting. I really want us to move into a neighborhood with a lot of families and where we are not having to drive far to get into some type of town center. We will not have family anywhere near us and don't want to be in a place where it is terribly hard to meet families like ourselves. As we moved from the UK, we are quite used to "character" in the buildings. We love that about New England, plenty of character around Milford. Please help us find a solution! We will renting the first two years, and then hope to buy a house that is no more expensive than $200,000.

We just can't afford these places that we are interested in. We need more affordable options.

Please help us find our dream place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 AM

14,153 posts, read 21,997,615 times
ukusmom - Welcome to Connecticut. Thank you for considering our state for your new home. I would have to say that $200k will not buy you a lot of home here but even in Milford there are a few modest homes in that price range. Check realtor.com for listings. I am not sure what your husband does and if it will be in the New Haven area but you might want to consider neighboring Stratford or West Haven. West Haven is a bit more affordable than Milford. Another option may be East Haven.

The key to getting to like an area is getting out, meeting people and enjoying what that area has to offer. Most towns have a newcomers club which is a great way to meet other people that are new to the area. Alos try to get involved in activities that interest you like adult education classes, the library, local lectures, etc. Hope this helps, Jay

Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM

571 posts, read 1,869,637 times
I don't know if you're locked into one area due to a job, but I'd check the listings in the northeast corner of CT. When we left a year and a half ago, prices were some of the lowest in the state and I imagine they've come down some since then.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,218,399 times
Ithaca, home to Ivy league college Cornell is an interesting place to live. It has many positive attributes. The climate however may become a wee bit daunting due to the lake effect snows.

If 200K is all you can afford- consider Tolland county CT (the north eastern part of the state)- you will be surprised at what you can find in a home, as well as great schools, culture and more.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-12-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM

164 posts, read 488,927 times
I agree with Northeastern Connecticut - it's very rural but it's the most affordable area in Connecticut with plenty of history and New England charm.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 37,054 times
Default I just moved out of Milford last year...*m

spent a year there renting while looking for a house to buy. We couldn't find a decent (re: NOT a fixer upper) house in the $300-325K range there-but, I have 3 kids, so was looking for 4 bedrooms and at least 1.5 baths. Still, even if you are looking for a 3 bed, 200K is a huge stretch. If you could find something, it would probably be a small cape or ranch that needs major repair. Hope your husband is handy!

I gave up my search and moved back to Southern NJ, where I'm originally from.

But, I have heard that East Haven is much more affordable and a nice, close knit town. But, we didn't consider it as my husband was working in Greenwich and even Milford was a killer commute with the I-95 and/or Merritt Parkway traffic. So EH was even further.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM

399 posts, read 1,157,419 times
What are some of the better neighborhoods in Milford?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,282,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Ithaca, home to Ivy league college Cornell is an interesting place to live. It has many positive attributes. The climate however may become a wee bit daunting due to the lake effect snows.

If 200K is all you can afford- consider Tolland county CT (the north eastern part of the state)- you will be surprised at what you can find in a home, as well as great schools, culture and more.
what kind of culture is there in Tolland County -and do the get a LOT more snow there than along the Sound?
what are the taxes like, and how is land priced there..per acre? thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,584,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
what kind of culture is there in Tolland County -and do the get a LOT more snow there than along the Sound?
what are the taxes like, and how is land priced there..per acre? thanks
Tolland County is part of the metropolitan Hartford area so world class culture is part of it.

More snow then along the sound? Eh, a touch I would say but nothing devistating. Snowfall amounts will probably be the same, it just won't last as long as on the coast or fall as "slush" sometimes instead of snow.

Taxes vary by town. Each town has it's own mill rate and "assessed value". Calling the town hall of each town is your best bet.

Land is priced by the lot. It can be partial or many acres.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM

195 posts, read 298,323 times
Hello,

My wife is from VA. I am from RI.

We've lived in VA, MD, MA, RI and CT. In 2005 we left northeastern CT and, for some reason (new baby...lack of sleep) moved to NC.

I joined this board when after a year in NC we wanted to move back to CT because we realized we left a place we shouldn't have.

But now we know. It's set us back a bit (moving ain't cheap) but we're happy to be back.

Mainly, where we are (again) in NE CT is very affordable. We're renting a house now, waiting for '09 (like a lot of people) but the pricing, for the location, is right in your range.

We love it here. Really. I tell myself everyday how great it is here. I drive by our old house and wonder why we left...but I try to tell myself not to look back.

There are some other nice areas around CT but none as affordable as here.

It's a peaceful, easy living and I recommend it highly.

Greg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut