Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Or it could be the Al Gore's running around in private jets telling people to conserve fuel. LOL"
I love the fact that Al Gore's home has a $17,000 electric bill. And you are lecturing me about global warming? Or the celebrities that are concerned about the environment yet fly around in private jets. to me they are just plain hypocites. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,605,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I love the fact that Al Gore's home has a $17,000 electric bill.
Wow. That's pretty amazing if true -- where did that number come from?

He must be manufacturing solar panels in his basement. Or trying to overload his local power grid and destroy it.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM

271 posts, read 1,274,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I love the fact that Al Gore's home has a $17,000 electric bill. And you are lecturing me about global warming?
NY TIMES:
Millions of Americans are struggling to cope with sky-high electricity bills for their homes. Among them, it turns out, is Vice President Dick Cheney, the Bush administration's point man on energy policy, whose home is a 33-room mansion on the leafy grounds of the Washington Naval Observatory.

Now, the White House has cited the large and unpredictable energy bills of the vice president's official residence in urging Congress to relieve him of using any of his official budget to pay for electricity. The entire electric bill -- an estimated $186,000 this year -- would be shifted to the Navy, which owns the house.

Cheney Calls on Navy to Pay Rising Bill to Light His Home - New York Times

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,265,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
NY TIMES:
Millions of Americans are struggling to cope with sky-high electricity bills for their homes. Among them, it turns out, is Vice President Dick Cheney, the Bush administration's point man on energy policy, whose home is a 33-room mansion on the leafy grounds of the Washington Naval Observatory.

Now, the White House has cited the large and unpredictable energy bills of the vice president's official residence in urging Congress to relieve him of using any of his official budget to pay for electricity. The entire electric bill -- an estimated $186,000 this year -- would be shifted to the Navy, which owns the house.

Cheney Calls on Navy to Pay Rising Bill to Light His Home - New York Times

What happened to "personal responsibility"?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,974,118 times
Bratt

only the 'little people' need personal responsibility.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
What happened to "personal responsibility"?
While I"m not a huge fan, Dick Cheny at least puts his money where his mouth is.

He and his wife donated $6.87 million of their $8.81 million income to charity.

If I'm doing the math in my head correctly, that's over 75% of their income.

Unlike Gore giving $353 DOLLARS in 1997. LOL

Between 2000 and 2004, the Obama's gave less than one percent of their income to charity...even though they were making an average of $250K per year during that time.

I guess a quarter mill a year doesn't go as far as it used to these days.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 AM

271 posts, read 1,274,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
While I"m not a huge fan, Dick Cheny at least puts his money where his mouth is.

He and his wife donated $6.87 million of their $8.81 million income to charity.
After years of running Haliburton Cheney's net worth is estimated at between $30 and $100 million.

It is petty to argue about who donated more. The real issue is whose policies benefit the working poor and middle class?????

Take a look at the economy and thank Cheney.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Wow. That's pretty amazing if true -- where did that number come from?

He must be manufacturing solar panels in his basement. Or trying to overload his local power grid and destroy it.
This was widely report last year in the media and then conveniently forgot when he received his Oscar for the documentary "An Incinvenient Truth". His gas billed was almost as much as that. He tried to defer this by saying that he has signed up with a "green energy" company and has puschased "carbon credits" but this does not change the fact that his home in Nashville uses 20 times what the average American home uses. If you want to confirm this, just Google "Al Gore's Electric Bill" and whole slew of articles will come up on it. Jay

PS: I am not saying that what he is saying is not right, I just think too many politicains and celebrities do not practice what they preach.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
After years of running Haliburton Cheney's net worth is estimated at between $30 and $100 million.

It is petty to argue about who donated more. The real issue is whose policies benefit the working poor and middle class?????

Take a look at the economy and thank Cheney.
So the guy gives away 80% of his income and his party preaches lower taxes and less government vs someone who says "don't chase money even though I chase money and keep 99.9% of it for me" is not a problem and doesn't matter to the working class stiff like me? I beg to differ.

Lets also not forget the economy took a big dive and gas prices shot up hard after the dems took over congress in 06.

Just spreading around the responsibility a little bit.

Oh and I know some preach gloom and doom on the economy but it's still stronger now than many periods in recent history and we are techincally NOT in a recession. My business is busier than a one armed banjo player personally. What is hurting people is the high fuel prices. That affects everything.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM

66 posts, read 260,927 times
Quote:
It is petty to argue about who donated more.
Tell that to the cancer patients Cheney's millions paid to help, or the kids he sent to college. Philanthropy is real and effective.

It's petty to hate rich people just because they sometimes act in their best interest. They're just as human as everyone else.

And I'd love to see how you connect Cheney and our current economic state. Most of the problems we're seeing are from a weak dollar coupled with deficit spending. Vice Presidents don't really control either of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut