U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 02:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,206,194 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts of East Haddam? I saw some small cottages on Lake Hayward that I liked.
I have no idea as far as the town/lake community.

Any thoughts on the area is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:23 PM

502 posts, read 255,924 times
My thoughts are that I had friend whose family owned a cottage on Lake Hayward when I was a kid, and I used to go over there alot in the summer. I had a blast playing on the beach, swimming, canoeing, etc. I had this one bright idea to go out to the middle of the lake and flip over our canoe to use as a submarine. We would theoretically have our heads in an air bubble, or something. Obviously that did not work and we had a hell of a time getting our capsized boat back to shore. Good times.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:37 PM

4,438 posts, read 3,253,521 times
East Haddam is a nice, quiet, rural town - about 8,000 people spread out over around 28 square miles, if I recall. It's pretty spread out between the parts near Route 9 in the western part of town and the areas near the Lake, which I think is closer to Colchester and Salem? I know some of the town roads are pretty rural as I remember having to visit somebody there a few years ago and had planned on 25 minutes from East Lyme, which brought me to near the Goodspeed... and, then it still took me well over 15 minutes to visit the friend's home on the other side of town - it wasn't traffic, it was just slow going on winding and hilly roads.

The schools are good, but the school system is one of the smaller ones in the state. Very white town as well 97-98% white.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:50 PM

20,891 posts, read 34,322,428 times
I have a coworker that bought a stunning home on one of the lakes in that area. They love it. Made me think I might like that too but I don't have his wife's money. Jay

Old 04-13-2016, 03:53 PM

10,786 posts, read 15,332,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Any thoughts of East Haddam? I saw some small cottages on Lake Hayward that I liked.
I have no idea as far as the town/lake community.

Any thoughts on the area is greatly appreciated!
Many lake cottages used to be summer rentals for people from New York City. If you plan to uses it full time, makes sure it has insulation and good windows.

Otherwise, the town is relatively rural. There are beautifully preserved 18th and 19th century houses along many of the roads.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 PM

13,155 posts, read 12,610,896 times
I lived in East Haddam a long time ago. It was very quiet and I liked it. I enjoyed going to shows at the Goodspeed, especially in winter when there wasn't anything else going on. It was a pretty good location, IIRC, for getting to Middletown and to the coast for the beaches.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 AM

That's everyone!

Any other town I should be looking at? Again, I'm looking for a small cabin/cottage in a lake community just like East Haddam/Lake Hayward.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:43 AM

20,891 posts, read 34,322,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
That's everyone!

Any other town I should be looking at? Again, I'm looking for a small cabin/cottage in a lake community just like East Haddam/Lake Hayward.
There are a number of small to medium sized lakes in eastern Connecticut. Off the top of my head I would say Lake Pocotopaug in East Hampton, Amston Lake in Hebron, Williams Lake in Lebanon, Andover Lake, Columbia Lake, Coventry Lake, Bolton Lake and Bungee Lake in Woodstock. Jay

Old 04-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Jay,

Thanks for ALL your help! I'm checking out listings now on MLS

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut