Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:59 PM

503 posts, read 530,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Optimum Online is better than Comcast and it fastest internet in CT I think
Optimum Online's upload speed is good, however download speed is more important and they offer less than both Cox and Comcast. Looks like the information superhighway runs faster up here just like the regular highway:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:35 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,831,424 times
Cox in the Hartford area. I believe my tier of service is called "premier" Cox has higher level of service available, but I find this level is good for my needs.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Optimum Online's upload speed is good, however download speed is more important and they offer less than both Cox and Comcast. Looks like the information superhighway runs faster up here just like the regular highway:
I known Optimum going offer it by end of year but Comcast customer service is worst

Old 07-17-2016, 08:24 PM

66 posts, read 139,274 times
I had to update on this. We are still with Comcast, but only because they offered us two decent size credits (since my last post we had another service issue) but not for much longer. We now go on the mobile app every time we experience a problem. It gets noted on our account and will help when we cancel service since we are still in contract. Frontier made a lot of improvement where we live. Everything is now underground and we have heard from our neighbors that switched that service has improved substantially. We are going to give it a try because optimum is not available in our town.

A lot of our neighbors have comcast horror stories so we are not alone lol.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:52 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Am I the only one that reads the title of this thread as I hate, hate, hate Connecticut; and then quickly re-read it and finally get it that its Comcast and not Connecticut?

I never had Comcast, so I can't say anything about its service.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:09 PM

27 posts, read 28,158 times
To stay on topic -
When I moved to CT, I had Direct TV and Comcast internet. Got rid of Direct TV and went with Comcast 100% (TV and internet - I use cell phones not land lines). I'm not exactly impressed with Comcast either. I had optimum - decent speed / good service and a reasonable price ($79.99 for TV/Internet & phone). That was NJ. I currently pay for 75 speed with Comcast, but when I run the online speed checker (various ones at various times - even 3am once or twice) - the best speed I get is 22. Usually it's around 18 or 19. So I'm not getting what I pay for. Not that I'm a bandwidth junkie like someone prior has said - but I'd like to get what I pay for. I'm sure if I called & complained, it would be my lines, my modem or some other nonsense. I'm ok with the 20.. except paying for 75.

Can we use this topic as a learning tool also, for us only partially tech savvy..?
I have heard of HULU and NETFLIX and other alternates - but how do you connect if you don't have COX or Comcast or someone for internet services..?
In hearing of the alternates - I also heard that they run last years programming.. True..? I'm definitely doubting sources, but that is why I'm asking - to learn more about them accurately I hope. I also heard / read - you need a device to connect to HULU or NETFLIX or other - so there is an initial purchase besides the monthly charges..?
Assuming I need internet to connect to the alternates, are COX, Frontier (and maybe others) different than cable where you 'share' your internet speed with your neighbors..? Like I say - 20 internet speed is fine for me -but I don't like paying for 75 to get 20.

Oh - and another thing with Optimum that was nice - no two year (or 30 month or 12 month) agreements where I was.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
I wish we had more competition in the nation for ISPs.

Cox cold called me and tried to get me to sign up for cable TV. I told them that I've been unemployed for months now and simply cannot afford it. I was surprised the rep backed off right away... I was expecting him to try to convince me just how being able to watch TV and movies from my couch would make all of those problems go away while having the "privilege" of paying them an extra $50 to $100 a month for it

Old 11-16-2016, 11:39 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,694 times
I just had to cancel my device, I can't afford the increase. Bill was supposed to be locked in for two years, just looked at my bill and had a wtf moment. I don't know what needs to happen in this world but no one can afford to live anymore.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:16 PM

260 posts, read 387,817 times
I never understood the complaints about cable companies other than the price. I had always had Cox and never in 30 years had an issue. Then I moved to a Comcast area. The product is good but thry will do ANYTHING to prevent you from talking to a human or scheduling an appointment.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:52 PM

597 posts, read 666,482 times
I got rid of Comcast able after the price got too high and I moved. Not that I couldn't afford it, but I just didn't want to pay it. But, I still needed cable for streaming and internet, so I had to go back. I just got internet and an incredibly basic cable package (about 25 channels) which was essentially bundled in, such that internet alone would cost the same. It all started out okay in terms of price, but of course intermittently rose. It's still noticeably less than when I had a fairly high-tier cable package, but I'm not if I signed a new two-year contract I could probably get a LOT more for not that much more money. But, I don't, because that would rise too.

Cable really is like airlines. Everybody seemingly hates it, but deals with it. I've never had major issues with service. Customer service a few times was a pain, but nothing completely crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut