Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:02 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Florida has several things that Connecticut simply can't compete with.

1. The weather is much more similar to much of Latin America's weather than is Connecticut's weather. The winters are much more pleasant down there and life, in that sense, is relatively easier. The days are also brighter, especially in winter.

2. The foliage resembles more the typical type of foliage in much of Latin America while Connecticut's foliage is present in select places in Latin America and those places tend to not be very populated to start with. Many Latin Americans love to have small semi-tropical gardens where they produce yucca, plantains/bananas, oranges; lemons, tomatoes, and many other things on a year round basis (or near year round basis). Florida allows them to do that for much longer than Connecticut. Predominance of year-round green trees is a plus.

3. In a lot of places in Florida people can actually live without speaking a word of English. In some places English-speakers feel discriminated in favor of Spanish-speakers, which is messed up if you ask me. Sure, Florida was a Spanish territory for most of history (after Columbus arrived), but reality is that the Spaniards were hardly there. Saint Augustine was the largest city during the Spanish reign and the rest of the peninsula was basically depopulated and with a few Seminole indians scattered about. The whole notion that the increasing use of Spanish in Florida is a 'return to its Spanish glory days' is baloney. Saint Augustine and vicinity was the most Spanish part of Florida, everywhere else not so much if at all. Anyway, all the Spanish-speaking down there is music to the ears of many Latin Americans.

4. The predominant and repetitive architectural styles in Florida are derived from Spanish/Mediterranean styles. Again, much more similar to the architectural styles through out Spanish America than say in Connecticut.

5. Perceived lower cost of living, but it really depends where in Florida we are talking about. The truly exclusive areas are not cheap by any standards. With that said, many people can buy more home space for less compared to our wonderful state.

All those things, among others, are major pull factors for Latin Americans. Once people get into their older decades, the freezing cold makes the aches and pains more persistent. Warm weather helps soothe that and Florida is definitely warmer than Connecticut.

Florida is a transition zone between Anglo America and Latin America, but with the efficiency and safety levels (for the most part) of Anglo America. Its the perfect mix for many Latin Americans that wish to live in a place that reminds them a little bit of their homelands but doesn't suffers the social ills to the same extent.

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-20-2016 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 10:56 PM

854 posts, read 1,240,885 times
Reasons one through four are basically identical.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:47 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
Its tough to say this without sounding like a jerk, but why is it so bad that older, retired people are moving out of state?
A lot of economic studies have concluded that retirees are a net benefit to their communities. (Basically due to stable incomes, paying school taxes without kids in school, and low demand for a lot of municipal services. Not many police calls, etc.)

Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 AM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
Dude everyone is leaving CT

Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
More doom and gloom from the negative nellies of the forum. One thing I learned: every state forum has 'em.

Yawn.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
"If you want less of something then tax it more."

Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Older people in general are leaving CT in droves. It will only get worse. The largest age group in the state are people born from 1955-1965. The state boomed in the late 50's and 60's as the states population grew by nearly 1 million in 20 years which doesn't seem a lot but in a small state with 3,590,000, that's a good amount. That means that 1/3 of states population is from a 20 year period. Once people in this age group (like myself) retire then more people will leave. I can only think of 2 people that plan to stay in the state once they retire and that's my son and his wife. The rest that I know which include co-workers, friends, and family members ALL plan to move out of the state once they retire. Though many states in the Northeast are in the same boat. Massachusetts and New York have a high rate of people moving out and guess what? These are all expensive states. In a economy where the COL keeps increasing and the job market is pretty dull, people are going to shift to places where they can save more and be guaranteed a job. Many people like myself only stay in CT because of family and a job.
Gee, older people are leaving in droves, younger people are leaving in droves. Is there anyone left???

Most people (and I mean a VAST majority) I know who are at or near retiring are staying here. The most some will be doing is doing the Snow Bird routine, heading south for the worst weather months (January, February, March) and heading back for the warm weather months the rest of the year. And these are not just people who make good livings. It is wide range of socio-economic backgrounds. Guess we know very different people. Jay

Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 AM

854 posts, read 1,240,885 times
Will the last retired Latino to leave Connecticut please turn out the lights?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Dude everyone is leaving CT
I'm not.

Maybe when I'm 80 just because I hate the snow would be the only reason.

I think Connecticut is ripe for opportunity both in careers and investment opportunities. I take the Warren Buffett approach. Buy when people sell, sell when people buy.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:16 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Florida has several things that Connecticut simply can't compete with.

1. The weather is much more similar to much of Latin America's weather than is Connecticut's weather. The winters are much more pleasant down there and life, in that sense, is relatively easier. The days are also brighter, especially in winter.

2. The foliage resembles more the typical type of foliage in much of Latin America while Connecticut's foliage is present in select places in Latin America and those places tend to not be very populated to start with. Many Latin Americans love to have small semi-tropical gardens where they produce yucca, plantains/bananas, oranges; lemons, tomatoes, and many other things on a year round basis (or near year round basis). Florida allows them to do that for much longer than Connecticut. Predominance of year-round green trees is a plus.

3. In a lot of places in Florida people can actually live without speaking a word of English. In some places English-speakers feel discriminated in favor of Spanish-speakers, which is messed up if you ask me. Sure, Florida was a Spanish territory for most of history (after Columbus arrived), but reality is that the Spaniards were hardly there. Saint Augustine was the largest city during the Spanish reign and the rest of the peninsula was basically depopulated and with a few Seminole indians scattered about. The whole notion that the increasing use of Spanish in Florida is a 'return to its Spanish glory days' is baloney. Saint Augustine and vicinity was the most Spanish part of Florida, everywhere else not so much if at all. Anyway, all the Spanish-speaking down there is music to the ears of many Latin Americans.

4. The predominant and repetitive architectural styles in Florida are derived from Spanish/Mediterranean styles. Again, much more similar to the architectural styles through out Spanish America than say in Connecticut.

5. Perceived lower cost of living, but it really depends where in Florida we are talking about. The truly exclusive areas are not cheap by any standards. With that said, many people can buy more home space for less compared to our wonderful state.

All those things, among others, are major pull factors for Latin Americans. Once people get into their older decades, the freezing cold makes the aches and pains more persistent. Warm weather helps soothe that and Florida is definitely warmer than Connecticut.

Florida is a transition zone between Anglo America and Latin America, but with the efficiency and safety levels (for the most part) of Anglo America. Its the perfect mix for many Latin Americans that wish to live in a place that reminds them a little bit of their homelands but doesn't suffers the social ills to the same extent.
Excellent assessment.

I travel to many different locations for my work and I know hundreds of minorities that work in these locations. Many of them are from the islands south of Florida, Africa and South America. They are some of the nicest, happiest and hard working people I know. I have had many conversations with them about how and why they came to CT. Like my European ancestors they come to CT for work.

Most of them have limited family here in CT and upon retirement think of either going to their home country or down south. I have had people show me pictures their retirement homes in FL or their home countries that they have built and are renting out until they retire. A lot of the people I talk to are moving down south (mostly FL) in retirement because they have become accustomed to our US standard of living. They don't want to give up the standard of living so they move down south to have the best of both worlds. A high standard of living at a reasonable price compared to CT.

BTW, my mom and dad built a home in Florida and rented it out also in anticipation of moving to FL after retirement. They did move down south to NC for about 6 years but came back to CT. CT residents moving down south in retirement is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut