Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM

59 posts, read 350,272 times

Advertisements

I was watching TV the other day and I saw an ad from my local water authority stating how our tap water is more regulated and safer to drink than the bottled water companies. It got me thinking.

Where I live the tap water is horrible. It is extremly hard and over time will form calcium deposits on your faucets. It taste terrible and has so many little floating things in it, it just looks dirty. I have never wanted to go grab a glass of water straight from the faucet as long as I have live in vegas. It would be great to be able to do that once I move to CT.

So tell me, is the tap water good in Connecticut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
I'm sure some are going to say "the water sucks in CT" as they think everything sucks in CT...but in my experience, we have some of the best public water in the country.

I have a private well at my house (I've sent to a lab) and it's really really good. I do have some mineral scale on my appliances, but nothing major and the type of minerals my well has make for a good tasting water.

Well water can vary depending on where you are, but public water is pretty consistent in the state IMO.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM

164 posts, read 783,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm sure some are going to say "the water sucks in CT" as they think everything sucks in CT...but in my experience, we have some of the best public water in the country.

I have a private well at my house (I've sent to a lab) and it's really really good. I do have some mineral scale on my appliances, but nothing major and the type of minerals my well has make for a good tasting water.

Well water can vary depending on where you are, but public water is pretty consistent in the state IMO.
Exactly, it all depends on where you live. In the more urban towns I've lived and had experience in (Norwalk, Stamford, Danbury) the water actually did suck. The other towns I've lived in had private wells and the water was excellent (New Canaan and Wilton).

Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM

136 posts, read 763,472 times
Where we live in Avon,CT it is good. I also used to live in an area of very hard water(Southwestern Ontario) and we had to have a water treatment system in the house. So I know your pain. We rent here and the water is good so far. My husband is in the water treatment industry and he basically says: Take a look how many Culligan dealerships are around your area and you will know if the local area has water problems".(in Southwestern Ontario they are everywhere)
I know that is not a scientific answer but it is one indicator because those businesses won't be based in an area where there are few water problems.

You can also take a sample of your water to one of those dealerships to do an analysis. We have not done one yet but I am planning to do one if nothing else out of curiosity.

You can also try to use Brita filter just make sure you change the filter sooner than what the packaging says to make sure you get quality water.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
The public water in the greater Hartford area is supplied by the Metropolitain District Commission, a quasi-public agency made of representatives of a number of communities in the area. MDC has a number of water sources include several large reservoirs north and west of Hartford. The quality of the water is excellent though it is chlorinated a bit much for most peoples taste.

In the Bridgeport area, the public water is supplied by Aquarion, a privately owned company. Aquarion also has a large system of reservoirs north and west of the city. The quality of water is also excellent but chlorinated.

Both of these cities were very smart to encourage the development of large high-quality sources of water years ago before suburban areas developed. Jay

Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,756,664 times
In the South Central portion of the state, we have the Regional Water Authority. It comes from a variety of sources as well.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
I have the Connecticut water company, and the water is excellent.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I have the Connecticut water company, and the water is excellent.
I also hear that CWC is very expensive compared to MDC. Any truth to that as far as you know?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
Expensive? I pay about $60-65 for a 3 month period- and I use water rather liberally- I would say it is slightly higher then the MDC.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,973 times
I live in Middletown and I will say, I do have good tap water. When I travel, I never like the water anywheres else like the stuff out of my tap. I've never had deposits or calcium stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut