Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:26 PM

138 posts, read 116,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I would go for the best schools for elementary and middle school since those are formative but some people are pretty set in their ways by high school. If you had a kid who was in the 99th percentile in all their standardized tests, did a bunch of extracurriculars, started the PSAT's in middle school, then I think that kid will excel anywhere and not be a victim of their environment. But again I'm only talking about schools where the curriculum itself is good but where the ESL population might skew the general standardized test scores. Like maybe Stamford. Idk how West Haven compares but I don't think anyone here would assume a kid is doomed if they go to Stamford.
Of course they aren't doomed, and yes those types of students in middle school should be more likely to take high school seriously. But 15-16 is still an unpredictable age where bad influences can easily overpower good influences if they are prevalent enough. So I guess my question is, if you can afford to have your kid go to a good elementary school and middle school, why take that risk by sending them to Stamford? Even if it doesn't change their personal behavior directly, it is still going to affect their academic opportunities and access to greater standards of education. It is not very engaging for the smarter kids in class to sit with their head on the desk for the second half of every period while the teacher works with the struggling kids so they can catch up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
That doesn't mean the kid who goes to Stamford and gets a 4.0 is losing out if he ends up the same school as his Ridgefield friend that has a 3.8. If his curriculum was really easier, then that's fair to me and I would expect that. If I bought into Ridgefield then sure I wouldn't go out of my way to send them to Stamford but for parents who are asking "Is Stamford terrible" I would say no... your kid could benefit from the slightly less competitive nature, but he should be prepared to work just as hard as if he were at Ridgefield.
This honestly sums up every "is this school district good in Connecticut" topic. Every CT school except for the inner cities one like BPT or Hartford are set up for your child's success if they are willing to succeed. No school will magically pump out better kids at the end of the day if the child is not motivated. I know kids from Ridgefield High who did not go to elite colleges and settled in community colleges/local universities because they didn't care much in high school. Likewise, I know a good friend of mine who went to Danbury High and has a great job here in Connecticut four years after high school. It really depends on the individual at the end of the day. Stamford High School has plenty to provide a good experience for kids.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:52 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
This honestly sums up every "is this school district good in Connecticut" topic. Every CT school except for the inner cities one like BPT or Hartford are set up for your child's success if they are willing to succeed. No school will magically pump out better kids at the end of the day if the child is not motivated. I know kids from Ridgefield High who did not go to elite colleges and settled in community colleges/local universities because they didn't care much in high school. Likewise, I know a good friend of mine who went to Danbury High and has a great job here in Connecticut four years after high school. It really depends on the individual at the end of the day. Stamford High School has plenty to provide a good experience for kids.
Lots more to it than that. As another posted said, its also the disctractions from the riff-raff going to these schools. Why would you want your kid sitting next to another kid who robbed some house last night? No thanks.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Why would you want your kid sitting next to another kid who robbed some house last night? No thanks.
I'm reminded of the popular wisdom, "you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with". To whatever degree you can influence that in your children, seems a worthwhile effort.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:02 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Lots more to it than that. As another posted said, its also the disctractions from the riff-raff going to these schools. Why would you want your kid sitting next to another kid who robbed some house last night? No thanks.
Which is why I made the exclusion to inner cities (like BPT or Hartford). No kid really robs a house in Danbury or Stamford. Most bad groups are drug related and you find those in wealthy town and communities as well.

These city schools (Stamford, Danbury, Norwalk) have a huge population generally and hopefully your kid is wise enough to pick decent folks as his/her friends from the lot.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I'm reminded of the popular wisdom, "you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with". To whatever degree you can influence that in your children, seems a worthwhile effort.
Of course, but teenagers are just begging to try new things.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
Of course they aren't doomed, and yes those types of students in middle school should be more likely to take high school seriously. But 15-16 is still an unpredictable age where bad influences can easily overpower good influences if they are prevalent enough. So I guess my question is, if you can afford to have your kid go to a good elementary school and middle school, why take that risk by sending them to Stamford? Even if it doesn't change their personal behavior directly, it is still going to affect their academic opportunities and access to greater standards of education. It is not very engaging for the smarter kids in class to sit with their head on the desk for the second half of every period while the teacher works with the struggling kids so they can catch up.
This. Fantastic.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
This. Fantastic.
Agreed

Old 04-27-2016, 03:45 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
So I guess my question is, if you can afford to have your kid go to a good elementary school and middle school, why take that risk by sending them to Stamford?
DUHH!
no kidding Capt Obvious

Old 04-27-2016, 04:07 PM

138 posts, read 116,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
DUHH!
no kidding Capt Obvious
Maybe you should pay attention to the posts that I respond to before quoting me out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut