Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times

Advertisements

I'd try to stick along the western CT 84 area...west of Waterbury

Ridgefield, Redding, Bethel, Brookfield, Newtown, Oxford, Southbury, Middlebury, Woodbury

You will NOT want to commute regularly on the Merritt Parkway or 95... so avoid towns around there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 PM

18 posts, read 19,420 times
Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away.

CT is every bit as awful as LI. Even worse, in some ways (traffic congestion/quality of roads).

Albany is nice, and reasonably priced. Very good schools in the northern suburbs. Southern MA would be recommended as well, as long as you're in a town with access to Boston via rail. The Boston metro is really booming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britchickny View Post
Hello,

I have done a fair bit of searching here and finally thought I might make my own post for advice on possible areas to move to.

We currently live on LI and have three children, the oldest being almost 10 down to a preschooler.

My husband's job takes him all over and if we moved I would either work from home or seek a new job.

My husband has clients in CT, NYC, Albany, Southern MA, and NJ. So there is really no good place to live.

He currently is away from home a LOT so we were thinking a move might help somewhat.

Ideally I would like a good solid school district, within 45mins of the ferry back to Port Jeff on LI - a 4 bedroom house for a budget of up to around $400k. It would be nice to have more space around us that we have here on LI.

I know its a very vague question, but all suggestions welcome!

Thank you

Old 05-04-2016, 05:21 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarker3839 View Post

CT is every bit as awful as LI. Even worse, in some ways (traffic congestion/quality of roads).
Traffic/congestion/roads are not bad at all in many of the areas being mentioned to focus on. Some are downright sleepy. Metro Boston? Now THERE'S congestion.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:25 PM

18 posts, read 19,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Traffic/congestion/roads are not bad at all in many of the areas being mentioned to focus on. Some are downright sleepy. Metro Boston? Now THERE'S congestion.
Clearly you've never traveled I-84 during commuting hours from the state line to around exit 11.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarker3839 View Post

Albany is nice, and reasonably priced. Very good schools in the northern suburbs. Southern MA would be recommended as well, as long as you're in a town with access to Boston via rail. The Boston metro is really booming.
I so disagree with this. Albany does not put her husband near clients in Long Island or New Jersey. Also Connecticut is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. The OP will likely be looking in the New Haven area which is not nearly as congested or densely populated as Long Island. And while Connecticut taxes are high they are a lot less than what people pay on most of LI.

That said I think the OP needs to look along the Route 8 corridor or in the eastern suburbs of New Haven. I think Oxford would be a good possibility. Milford or Orange also. Jay

Old 05-04-2016, 05:36 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Do you need to be near an airport? Think twice before moving to CT if so. Westchester may be a better option but I don't know about a four-bedroom house for around $400k.
Connecticut has Bradley International Airport which is a great small airport that us a lot easier to access than any of the New York City airports it also has more flights than Westchester. Connecticut would be just fine if he needs airport access. Jay

Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
I'll also point out that the center of Southbury (off of 84 exit 15) is roughly 2 hours from N. NJ, LI, NYC, Albany, Springfield, and Great Barrington. It's going to be tough to find anywhere more convenient without wrecking the commute in one or more directions. I especially wouldn't recommend living East of New Haven or directly on the coast, though.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:52 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Good suggestions with Monroe, Oxford, and Southbury. Good Rt 8/25 access to the Ferry.
Monroe further down the line has a surprisingly nice set of amenities, restaurants and a great town park.
Oxford has beautiful and more affordable homes. The gem is the Rt 188 area with views of LI Sound in the distance.
The northern Milford-Orange-some of Woodbridge area I find to be Bland-topia.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I know many in Trumbull and Monroe who do not have a six figure HHI and live wonderful lives.
I do too and I am one of them but I bought my almost house 20 years ago for $150,000. I bet the people you know are like me who bought houses for $200,000 and under.

I am not saying it can't be done but if you buy a house for $400,000 in Trumbull and you want to be comfortable it would be better to make closer to $100,000 for the household. OK, I will admit I am originally from lower Fairfield County and tend to have champagne, Lord & Taylor and Clinique (more expensive makeup) taste sometimes but I would not try to live in Trumbull for less than $80,000 a year.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
All of the other towns mentioned on here are all good too but they much further from the ferry in Bridgeport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut