Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 AM

247 posts, read 231,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
while there could be some kids applying to a science/math school that aren't interested, why would they? Especially if there are less specialized schools around.

Because it gets them out of their crappy school? ie - Hartford public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree (partially at least). Elite boarding schools like Hotchkiss or Choate have much better college placement stats than even the best public high schools in CT. Its not even close. And that makes sense as they are drawing from an international student base and have their pick of them. And they are very sophisticated when it comes to the college application process. Now, is that worth $50k a year? Maybe. But all things being equal, the kid from Choate will have better odds of getting into an Ivy League school versus the kid at Glastonbury High.

But I agree that once you get away from the elite boarding schools, the better public highs schools can hold their own in terms of college placement with the private schools.
Of course elite boarding schools have higher college placement stats, parents are paying a lot just to ensure their kid goes onto college. Public schools have a wide range of students, some going onto college some not. I am not sure a kid going to Choate though has a better chance than a kid going to say Glastonbury High if they have the same grades and curriculum backgrounds. Each year Glastonbury High sends a number of students to very prestigious colleges. I have seen them being sent to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth and many others. When my kids were in school though a lot of the top students did not go Ivy even though they were accepted. For various reasons they have selected other schools instead. A lot seem to like Northeastern.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many kids that go to those elite schools are legacies whose families have been longtime big donors to the more prestigious colleges so their entrance into those schools is almost guaranteed while a student from more humble backgrounds is not necessarily going to be accepted unless they have great grades and impressive recommendations. Jay

Old 05-26-2016, 03:15 PM

29 posts, read 35,618 times
Jay, I wish for the world you describe. In my own experience, there is a distinct and persistent advantage in attending an elite prep that carries through (at least) the first job. (And in between). The good news is you can grab that same halo a number of other ways. You can attend an ivy or top tier research university for graduate school if you miss out in undergrad. You can cheat the whole system and study in, say, Germany and then take a job at a foreign office of an American bank (maybe the Singapore or Taiwan office, probably not EU). Anyway, there are lots of options.

The public school kids have to work harder to differentiate themselves, to colleges and beyond. Prep schools 'push' for their kids. Their counsellors have connections inside college admissions offices giving them at the least greater transparency into the process. Increasingly elite college admissions is a game of inches and that advocacy matters. (Not to mention that many non-ivy elite schools are still looking for children of means for lifelong giving. It's even true for state schools now.).

Top tier employers pay attention to 'pedigree', all the way down to high school. It's a very competitive world.

Having said all that, our kids go to Avon public schools. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut