Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:27 PM

12 posts, read 16,486 times

Advertisements

Thanks!

Our budget is around 700K and we need at least 3 beds and possible an in-law-apt. We like/prefer small towns, don't mind less amenities, but good schools are priority.

We like/know a bit Salisbury, Sharon, Washington, Roxbury but they are out of our price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 03:48 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
These two could be possibilities- newer, large homes with existing in law apartments.

68 Chalybes West Rd.- $ 749,000

68 Carriage Lane - $ 709,900.

Both in Roxbury

Old 10-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Sooo cookie-cutter

Old 10-03-2016, 04:23 PM

There is the dream world, then there is the real world.

99% of homes don't have existing in-law apartments. You have several towns in mind & a budget.

You can have your dream house if you have unlimited funds and build from scratch. If you have a budget, then you deal in reality and pick from what is available. You're not going to find 30-50 homes from which to choose.

Maybe expand your search into NY state or southern MA. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:37 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
For a charming (which I usually read as 'nice, 100+ years old, and renovated') home that has everything you seek, yes you will likely be priced out of Roxbury/Washington but that doesn't mean you can't find something in one of the other towns.

The good thing is that despite the large size of the county, the density is very low for the most part. In a single afternoon you should be able to look at what's available in most towns, just use the filtered searches on the usual real estate sites.

Regarding schools, you should know that enrollment is declining dramatically in all the traditionally sought-after towns. Young families are not moving there. The reasons are numerous and controversial. Some schools have closed or are will close in the next few years, increasing driving/busing distances dramatically, especially for the lower grades.

With that said, if you're having trouble finding something, I also agree with w.w. that you should consider the bordering areas in MA/NY as they are very similar in many ways. Berkshire County, MA, and Dutchess/Columbia counties in NY.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:19 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
This is in a beautiful part of Litchfield.
30 Milton Rd, Litchfield, CT 06759 | MLS #L10167205 | Zillow

This is in a good location too.
14 Cramer Dr, Litchfield, CT 06759 | MLS #L10172491 | Zillow

700k really gives you plenty of options in any of the towns in NWCT other than the traditional weekender towns. NY is going to be a little tougher because the inventory in that price range is not all that large, but it is still doable.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:18 AM

What you have to realize is the tiny populations of the towns you prefer. Here are approximate populations

Roxbury- 2300
Washington 3600
Salisbury 3700
Sharon 2800

That really limits the number of homes available. There are 3 bedroom homes in your price range. I found only the two homes I noted in a previous post of mine in those towns which have an in-law apartment.
Usually when people want an in-law they want a first floor apartment for an elderly relative and that's going to make it even harder.

Perhaps you should really think about what you want, prioritize and decide where you can compromise.
Maybe a first floor bedroom with a full bathroom nearby would work for a family member rather than an actual in-law apartment.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the comments! I understand that we won't get everything we want and we are prepared for it. I don't mind to get a newer home, but still would love to keep the line and not push us into a cookie-cutter.

A lot of people is mentioning Woodbury-i checked properties, and they mostly huge!I would stay under 2500-3000sqft for maintenance issues,also wouldn't want to waste time/energy/money if we don't need that much space.

I don't mind small town feel-we are looking for peace, space and nature and would like to raise our kids in a "Starts Hollow' type of place(i don't mind if everyone knowns everyone etc).

We are from Europe, and whenever we have family over, it means months and not days..so trust me when i say, weaned a separate apartment or wing..

Salisbury,Sharon, Roxbury and Washington are too expensive. We have 700K budget but wan't to leave a little space for improvements.

I did notice that a lot of towns have problems with enrollment like Cornwall, Kent, Falls Village.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:40 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusztina84 View Post
Thanks!

Our budget is around 700K and we need at least 3 beds and possible an in-law-apt. We like/prefer small towns, don't mind less amenities, but good schools are priority.

We like/know a bit Salisbury, Sharon, Washington, Roxbury but they are out of our price range.
Salisbury, Sharon, Washington and Roxbury are out of a $700,000 price range? I find that hard to believe. I see several nice homes in each of those towns so I am not sure what you are looking for. You might then want to consider a few other towns in the area. Jay

Old 10-04-2016, 06:01 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusztina84 View Post
Thanks for the comments! I understand that we won't get everything we want and we are prepared for it. I don't mind to get a newer home, but still would love to keep the line and not push us into a cookie-cutter.

A lot of people is mentioning Woodbury-i checked properties, and they mostly huge!I would stay under 2500-3000sqft for maintenance issues,also wouldn't want to waste time/energy/money if we don't need that much space.

I don't mind small town feel-we are looking for peace, space and nature and would like to raise our kids in a "Starts Hollow' type of place(i don't mind if everyone knowns everyone etc).

We are from Europe, and whenever we have family over, it means months and not days..so trust me when i say, weaned a separate apartment or wing..

Salisbury,Sharon, Roxbury and Washington are too expensive. We have 700K budget but wan't to leave a little space for improvements.

I did notice that a lot of towns have problems with enrollment like Cornwall, Kent, Falls Village.
700K is approaching the upper end of the market in Woodbury and yes those are huge homes. You might find houses in the $400-550k range to be more to your taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut