Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 06:15 AM

29 posts, read 35,607 times

Advertisements

Newjeff, yes, that's my impression too: Avon has several neighborhoods of high end homes, so it's not down to the elementary school district to sort out the social castes. Although you'll see realtors making a point to highlight 'east avon' as an advantage. Yes, it's closer to Hartford but inside the town it's the old money / historic / executive c-level / estate section. West Avon is McMansion / new money / vp / immigrant tech and insurance middle manager section.

There's something for everyone, lol.

And there's increasing separation of our Indian and southeast Asian residents to a particular, large housing development on the far west side. Interestingly, I was speaking to one of the soccer moms about a mutual friend who is looking at homes in that price range but avoiding that development and when I asked why since those homes were selling reliably and fast, she said 'well, we call those the dump houses'. Hmmm. Yes. The town dump is nearby but .... Uh, yeah.

People are people, aren't they? If you have three on an island, two will find a way to make the third an 'other'.

On a happy note: puppies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:06 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomhpo View Post
Newjeff, yes, that's my impression too: Avon has several neighborhoods of high end homes, so it's not down to the elementary school district to sort out the social castes. Although you'll see realtors making a point to highlight 'east avon' as an advantage. Yes, it's closer to Hartford but inside the town it's the old money / historic / executive c-level / estate section. West Avon is McMansion / new money / vp / immigrant tech and insurance middle manager section.

There's something for everyone, lol.

And there's increasing separation of our Indian and southeast Asian residents to a particular, large housing development on the far west side. Interestingly, I was speaking to one of the soccer moms about a mutual friend who is looking at homes in that price range but avoiding that development and when I asked why since those homes were selling reliably and fast, she said 'well, we call those the dump houses'. Hmmm. Yes. The town dump is nearby but .... Uh, yeah.

People are people, aren't they? If you have three on an island, two will find a way to make the third an 'other'.

On a happy note: puppies!!
I assume you're talking about Carson Way and that development? The homes are tightly packed, but I don't think they're bad quality. However, I'm guessing that since they have natural gas, sewers and public water - which is rare in Simsbury to have all 3 - it will attract buyers that otherwise wouldn't look in town in that price range for homes that are oil, well and/or septic.

I remember when looking at Avon test scores several years back, the western Avon Roaring Brook elementary performed better than eastern Avon Pine Grove elementary. Of course, they're K-4, and Avon has very good performing grade 5-6 and grade 7-8 schools that combine both elementary schools.

(And, related to the other thread, since a certain percentage of Avon kids go on to prep schools, the performance in terms of test scores goes from top 5 in the state at AMS to top 10 at the high school)

Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 PM

13 posts, read 13,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomhpo View Post

Get used to this Balkanization though. Everyone in Simsbury cares very much what street you live on. What house, actually.
Um, what? Are you serious? This is what I'm trying to get away from! I saw a house this weekend, and the realtor was literally trying to convince me not to make an offer on it (it was overpriced anyway...). Maybe I wasn't the "sort of people" they wanted in their neighborhood, lol?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLavalliere View Post
Um, what? Are you serious? This is what I'm trying to get away from! I saw a house this weekend, and the realtor was literally trying to convince me not to make an offer on it (it was overpriced anyway...). Maybe I wasn't the "sort of people" they wanted in their neighborhood, lol?
well, as I said above, you don't get that problem in Avon vs Simsbury, so you could always look in the next town over?

Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 13,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
well, as I said above, you don't get that problem in Avon vs Simsbury, so you could always look in the next town over?
I was looking in Avon, then stopped because Simsbury seems more family-friendly, with large lots and Simsbury Farms. I originally posted about elementary schools, but my oldest will be going to high school in a few years, so I went to the school web sites, and looked at the high school offerings for both Simsbury and Avon. What a difference! Simsbury's tone is so bureaucratic and official, with it's proclamation of love for Common Core goals of "college and career ready". Avon is much more to my liking, at least on paper! And the search continues!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLavalliere View Post
I was looking in Avon, then stopped because Simsbury seems more family-friendly, with large lots and Simsbury Farms. I originally posted about elementary schools, but my oldest will be going to high school in a few years, so I went to the school web sites, and looked at the high school offerings for both Simsbury and Avon. What a difference! Simsbury's tone is so bureaucratic and official, with it's proclamation of love for Common Core goals of "college and career ready". Avon is much more to my liking, at least on paper! And the search continues!
depending on your budget, there are plenty of homes in Avon that have large lots. Though, they do have several subdivisions that have smaller lots (half acre or less)

Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I assume you're talking about Carson Way and that development? The homes are tightly packed, but I don't think they're bad quality. However, I'm guessing that since they have natural gas, sewers and public water - which is rare in Simsbury to have all 3 - it will attract buyers that otherwise wouldn't look in town in that price range for homes that are oil, well and/or septic.

I remember when looking at Avon test scores several years back, the western Avon Roaring Brook elementary performed better than eastern Avon Pine Grove elementary. Of course, they're K-4, and Avon has very good performing grade 5-6 and grade 7-8 schools that combine both elementary schools.

(And, related to the other thread, since a certain percentage of Avon kids go on to prep schools, the performance in terms of test scores goes from top 5 in the state at AMS to top 10 at the high school)
I thought they were talking about Buckingham in Avon. Could be I misunderstood them. I don't think there is a dump near Carsons Way, is there? Jay

Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I thought they were talking about Buckingham in Avon. Could be I misunderstood them. I don't think there is a dump near Carsons Way, is there? Jay
you're right - I was thinking Simsbury, but that is Buckingham in Avon. it does have a large amount of Indian families there, but the homes run in the 450k to 600k range and sell quickly almost all the time. Construction quality isn't the best on those homes, but they're still pretty good quality overall. I know several doctors that live there (a few Indian, a few other Asian, but mostly white).

Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM

29 posts, read 35,607 times
Yeah, you guys are good.

well regarding the Simsbury vs Avon saga, for op, my advice: find the right house. There IS no right answer to 'which town', between them. It's nuanced. So, if you find a house you love in either town, buy it! Then you can be like the rest of us and second guess your decision until your kids graduate. ;-)

Old 05-26-2016, 03:41 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
It's amazing to me the nitpicking going on in this thread between two well regarded school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut