Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

I'll be 24 by the time I move to Connecticut to go to grad school at CCSU. I'm a girl and I'll be living alone. I am apparently asking for far too much in regards to apartments. My number one priority is safety. I would like it not put me into crippling debt and I'm willing to go up to 40-45 minutes from CCSU. In a perfect world I would really like the place to be good for people my age as I'm terrible at meeting people and places with good nightlife and things for people in their twenties would be good. I looked at places in New Britain but I keep seeing things that say that it's not a great place to live. I was hoping that someone here could give me suggestions on places to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
New Britain is a small city and like any city it has it's good areas and bad. CCSU is in a nice part of the city. There are many nice apartments near the school but I am unsure what you consider affordable. Keep in mind that living further from the school will increase your commuting cost so you could end up spending more. I would try and find a place near the school. The housing office there may be able to help you find a good place. Jay

Old 06-14-2016, 06:00 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
First off, have you decided on a budget yet? This will ultimately determine where you can live. Do you plan on living solo or with a roommate? You'll stretch your budget to a degree if you share the rent with someone. New Britain has some apartments closer to CCSU, and this area is nice, but NB is not an stimulating place for someone your age. Newington and West Hartford are better-suited for young people. There are plenty of rentals here and these towns are safe, with nice downtowns. Hartford has a few areas that are popular with college-age people, but do your homework before committing to anything since there are some areas here that you need to avoid at all costs. Rule of thumb: If something is cheap, there's a reason for it and safety will likely be an issue. Stick to downtown or the West Side and you're good.
Best advice I can give in regards to meeting people is don't be shy: People have better luck meeting others when they put away their phones, look people in the eye and aren't afraid to say hi. Find something that you're interested in (sports, recreational activities, hobbies, etc.) and see if there's a group in town where others with similar interests congregate.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Wallingford or Middletown, but I like to be away from people ha so not sure how much help that is. Wallingford has the strip, relatively inexpensive apartment rentals, movie theater, restaurants, and in the middle of Hartford/New Haven.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Middletown has a lot of apartments on the border of Cromwell and it's a 10-15 minute drive up Route 9 to CCSU. You have a ton of retail in Cromwell and a nice walkable downtown in Middletown with a lot of restaurants and places for young people to hang out. Depending on your budget, Newington is a great option as well, as is West Hartford. Plainvile wouldn't be a bad choice, either, and may be cheaper than WeHa.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:24 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Middletown--it has a few lounges/bars that give a decent nightlife scene (Mezzo being one of them.) A larger younger scene than you would realize.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:34 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Middletown--it has a few lounges/bars that give a decent nightlife scene (Mezzo being one of them.) A larger younger scene than you would realize.
well, they do have Wesleyan University within walking distance of Main Street. Alma mater of the man behind Broadway's "Hamilton" - Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:37 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
well, they do have Wesleyan University within walking distance of Main Street. Alma mater of the man behind Broadway's "Hamilton" - Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Don't forget Bill Rodgers and Amby Burfoot

Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Don't forget Bill Rodgers and Amby Burfoot
ahhh yes, two AMAZING marathoners/runners!

Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I saw that this was mentioned during his 60 Minutes interview. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut