Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:21 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,051 times

Advertisements

In considering a move to CT from CA, I am wondering about the amount of young families in these towns. When we have visited, I do not see a lot of children running around. Are these areas known to be family friendly? I am leaning towards Essex, but worry that perhaps it is too small. Does anyone have any perspective on what makes one the above towns better than the other? I have read the CT Magazine article on towns, but am looking for first hand information. Also, I have looked in to area Catholic schools, and it seems like St. John's in Old Saybrook is the closest - is anyone familiar with this school? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 08:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Lyme, Old Lyme (especially) and Saybrook are very posh for the most part. Incredibly beautiful. But expensive. Katherine Hepburn lived in Old Lyme, right on the sound.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM

71 posts, read 227,770 times
I spent many summers in that area and would live there in a second, if I could afford it. All of the towns are small, but Saybook is the largest and most "commercial" with a small mall area. The entire LI Sound coast is sort of similar, but not overgrown. I-95 keeps you in touch with both NYC and Boston/Providence and all of their attendant congestions. IMO, Essex is the way to go because it is both beautiful and apparently cheaper (farther from the Sound). By the way, Katherine Hepburn lived in Old Saybrook (Fenwick) not Old Lyme).

Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,051 times
Thanks to both of you for responding! I have also spent lots of time in the area in the summer, but vacation is always different than "real life", so I appreciate the perspectives you offer. I also think that Essex is a great spot and would be a lovely change of pace for our family. We are pretty tired of the CA craziness, although the weather is certainly nice. Price wise, I think it is very similar to Long Beach, so that shouldn't be too much of a shock. Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2006, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 17,468 times
The Essex-Old Lyme area is a particularly beautiful part of CT. I have lived my entire life a little farther west on the shoreline, but have always said if I were to relocate, that's where I'd want to be. I have worked with people from that area, and understand it to be a very "kid friendly" place with very good school systems. Old Saybrook is a lovely town as well, but not as pricey as Essex. Deep River is up and coming, and you might want to investigate that for better real estate prices, too. The whole area is very nice with a rural feel, but still within easy access to New York City and Boston. I sound like a realtor, but I'm not! Good luck - welcome.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 PM

48 posts, read 145,225 times
The whole Connecticut River Valley is beautiful with lots to do. Essex is very hoity toity..lol But anywhere between Higganum (that is where I live) down to Chester, Essex, Hadlyme, Lyme are all beautiful.
The are all adjacent to the CT. River. You have the Goodspeed Opera house.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:39 AM

11 posts, read 45,067 times
Default Old Lyme vs. the competing towns

Have lived in Old Lyme a dozen years. Lived in Essex ten. Essex is a tourist destination, has a lot of NYC weekend people, and is ostentatious. Its Main Street is all boutiques, restaurants, and real estate storefronts, whereas Old Lyme has a Main Street (Halls Road) that actually has a hardward store, market, liquour store, bookstore, etc. Old Lyme is an actual community of all the social classes (electricians as well as Pfizer executives). The schools in Old Lyme are very small and more intimate than what is availble in Essex (three towns share a high school). If you're into status, move to Essex. If you love nature, move to Old Lyme. Old Saybrook is a toilet.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,816 times
In response to Viralmd . Lyme-Old Lyme are beautiful and posh. However, Catherine helburn never lived in Old Lyme. She lived in Fenwick, which is a part of Old Saybrook on the Sound. You can see her house when you play golf over there.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM

276 posts, read 1,458,153 times
I'm sure you've seen my previous thread on Essex, but just to add, I really like Essex as well. In fact, we almost put a bid on 2 homes, until we realized they were both closer than 300ft from high voltage power lines . You'd think they'd need to put that in a disclosure or something.

There is a newly renovated Children's library in Essex, that has a train table, doll houses, blocks, and lots of other toys. While we were there, we saw lots of moms with their kids, many of them talking about the Halloween parade that was going on that week. Many of my husband's coworkers live in Essex and love it. Also, Thomas the Train visits the Essex steam train yard a few times each year - we are planning on going this Sunday. And they have a "Polar Express" during the Christmas season.

We are going to visit East Lyme during our next visit because it seems to have more neighborhoods, which is what we are used to. Also, there seems to be alot of open land available for sale, as we may want to build our own house. And the schools are supposed to be very good as well.

Good Luck!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
East Lyme is nice. It has a bigger school system (High School around 1300 kids or so) and all the stores you would need. It isn't as quaint as Essex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut