Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:19 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

What your thoughts of Norwalk valedictorian coming saying she is undocumented ?

Norwalk valedictorian comes out as undocumented

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/N...ed-8327177.php

Also immigration protest around state

9 arrested at immigration rally in Hartford - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Immigrant rights group: Make Bridgeport a sanctuary - Connecticut Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:30 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
immigrants rights group...lol. I thought I heard it all...

What do I have to say about the norwalk girl? You. Are. Disqualified. But please become a citizen and stay with us and we will retroactively honor your diploma.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
I'm really torn on subjects like this. On one hand, I see the point. It's a PR coup to show that hey, these immigrants aren't all living off of entitlements, some of them are great students and a great asset to society. That should come as no surprise to anyone with a brain. However, it's a dangerous thing to say it's okay to break the law because I'm a great student. The extreme extension of that is the same thing that drives people defending rapists like the Stanford swimmer. But he's such a bright guy and an asset to the community! I think if you disagree with immigration law, you should lobby for changing the law and leave it at that, not just say 'well I broke the law, but it's okay because I'm one of the good ones'.. that's a slippery slope.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 6,198 times
she work "so hard" to be valedictorian, but how far is this going to get her in life? She wont be able to even get a job.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Batista View Post
she work "so hard" to be valedictorian, but how far is this going to get her in life? She wont be able to even get a job.
Seems to make sense to give the people we want to stay-- valedictorians, for example, a reasonable path to citizenship.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I'm really torn on subjects like this. On one hand, I see the point. It's a PR coup to show that hey, these immigrants aren't all living off of entitlements, some of them are great students and a great asset to society. That should come as no surprise to anyone with a brain. However, it's a dangerous thing to say it's okay to break the law because I'm a great student. The extreme extension of that is the same thing that drives people defending rapists like the Stanford swimmer. But he's such a bright guy and an asset to the community! I think if you disagree with immigration law, you should lobby for changing the law and leave it at that, not just say 'well I broke the law, but it's okay because I'm one of the good ones'.. that's a slippery slope.
Well stated.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
I've seen enough seriously scary people in Norwalk that an undocumented HS valedictorian is the least of my worries. What can you really say... yeah, she shouldn't be undocumented, but she is, she's here, and at least she's being productive.

And to the poster above, there are ways that illegal immigrants can get white collar jobs - even climb up the ladder at Goldman Sachs. I don't condone this at all (buying forged papers to work) but it prob happens more than you'd think.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
And to the poster above, there are ways that illegal immigrants can get white collar jobs - even climb up the ladder at Goldman Sachs. I don't condone this at all (buying forged papers to work) but it prob happens more than you'd think.
By far the most common way is marrying a citizen for a green card - happened to an ex of mine who had overstayed a student visa for college. They might give you an evil eye when you apply but you still get it.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I think children of illegal immigrants who graduate high school should become citizens.

Now I think Sanctuary cities should be done away.

Think a few things on a State wide scale and National scale. Think U.S. citizens should be allowed free healthcare. Additionally, legal immigrants and those on VISAS can pay for their own insurance. Once legal immigrants become citizens they can enjoy the benefits of Universal Healthcare. Also think if illegals do go to the Hospital per se be easy to know they are illegal because theu don't have insurance.

Additionally, I do believe illegal immigrants should be granted right of citizenship if they can prove working 20 more hours in Court. From there they should work towards completing citizenship in 12 months and if not deport them as well as their immediate family members.

Also feel should be a term limit of 24 to 36 months of Welfare. Exceptions would be made at end of Welfare of can't work due to a physical or mental health issue that a Doctor and Judge approve. Additionally, those on Welfare must either attend college part time 6 credits or more, 10 hour's of work/volunteer work/internship/job training a week to continue to keep welfare. Unless with a physical or mental health issue attend outpatient treatment and attend job training at a state or non profit agency.

I also think Community College should be free to US citizens only who either are in a program with a clinical/internship or work 10 hour's or more a week or volunteer 10 hours a week or more. So on average work 520 hours a year or more.

Also only US citizens are allowed to vote.

Finally those in Prison from 18 to 60 lose Universal Healthcare and must pay for their Healthcare until released from prison. If under 18 or over 60 healthcare is Universal.

Also if an Illegal Immigrant is driving and pulled over. Cannot drive until passing a drivers test within 6 month's. If found drivIng again with no license this individual and immediate family are deported. Additionally, this individual has 12 month's to work towards becoming a citizen.
I think if we offered more benefits to US citizens be less illegal immigration.

Anyways congratulations to her graduating high school with such high honors that's an accomplishment.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:21 AM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
The next time a police officer stops me for whatever, I will let him know of how great of a student I was and also of my IQ. Its not fair if he doesn't let me go without a fine, not fair at all! Smart people can ignore the law and get away with it! Its only the dumb ones that follow the rules, the dumb little people not the smart ones like us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut