Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:11 AM

30 posts, read 24,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I would never do winter without my studded snows. Helps me avoid the many that think they are invincible in their 4WD SUVs.

Cost is 20 minutes of my time in the driveway to swap them twice a year. Wel worth the aggravation.
Unless of course you own a Subaru WRX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:10 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Snow tires aren't necessary, and even less necessary in SE CT. Roads are plowed well and are rarely impassable. With that said, I use snow tires on my AWD vehicle for a couple reasons. I live in a very hilly area that is somewhat rural by CT standards. I also drive to work when many stay home because of the snow. The vast majority of people do fine with front wheel drive and all season tires.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:28 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowybunny View Post
Coming from an area with a lot of snow, would you say snow tires are at all necessary in Connecticut, Norwich/Waterford area? They are expensive to take on an off, so am curious about the winters here. We are used to blizzard-like conditions.. any info is appreciated!
Ahh, the good old debate on whether or not snow tires are necessary.

Here's the other thread on snow tires. snow tires?

I think we can all agree that even 1 yr old snow tires are "better" than new All season tires.

I swap my regular tires with snow tires for free and vise versa... If you purchase tires from Town Fair tire they will swap them for free in Spring and Fall. (I did it twice now, no charge)

By experience Snow tires is GREAT to have over any new All Season tires. You definitely feel the extra grip and traction.

If you're used to driving in snow than maybe you wont need them, but why not have that extra traction to feel safer on the road?

Also...... not sure where you're from but CT has hills. Even the smallest hill could be challenging on icy or snowy days.

As far as how much we get.... For me..... not enough .... in general, I don't think we get a lot of snow. It would depend on the winter pattern.

We could get ten 3 inch storms or two 12 inch storms in a few weeks time.

Plow crews are great in CT. Next day roads will be fine to drive on so that's when the debate gets interesting. Is it worth it for those couple of days or hours its snowing? Just plan ahead and stay off the road when it snows, maybe you wont need those snow tires after all.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:57 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
I'm almost 50 and have never used snow tires in my life and I've lived in CT nearly my entire life. I have only had one 4WD/AWD car in my entire life as well, and that's been the past 6 years. Before that, I did just fine with front wheel drive cars. The only time I remember getting stuck was when I had a turbo-charged sports car in the early 90s and we had some heavy snow.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:39 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I'm almost 50 and have never used snow tires in my life and I've lived in CT nearly my entire life. I have only had one 4WD/AWD car in my entire life as well, and that's been the past 6 years. .
Ironically we've gotten snowier past decade and yeah, forgot to mention.. Does the OP have 4WD/AWD?? If so then I agree. Otherwise No.

Those that never had snow tire experience will not make a good judgement about them.

All you have to do is look at the treads and its common sense why they are better in snow

Old 07-01-2016, 07:51 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
If you have AWD you'll be fine.... you don't need snow tires here. This isn't Maine..

Old 07-01-2016, 08:14 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogrammer89 View Post
Unless of course you own a Subaru WRX
All the serious WRX owners I know use snows, and usually studded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I think we can all agree that even 1 yr old snow tires are "better" than new All season tires.

Not only that, but true summer tires are much better than All Seasons. All Season tires are a compromise all year round.

And I agree with whoever said that if you've never driven on snow tires, you won't get the difference.

I used to have 2 snows on my RWD car. When I went to FWD, like most of you, I felt I was above snows. Then someone gave me a used set of 4 snows and told me to give them a shot. Like night and day - I was sold. I was dumb enough to be a snob about studs too - nope those are only for those RWD holdouts. Then I tried them. I've never looked back.

Your summer tires will last longer as well since you'll have them off the car for a few months. They are absolutely worth the investment.

Don't worry though, I'll let you sit in my warm car while you're in a ditch waiting to get pulled out.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Keep in mind that, for some strange reason, people in New England have no clue how to drive in snow.
I strongly disagree with you on this. Sure there are some that don't know what they are doing but the VAST majority do. And I would expect you to be lynched if you said that in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine (in case you forgot, they are part of New England) where they deal with a lot of snow all winter long. Jay

Old 07-01-2016, 08:43 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ironically we've gotten snowier past decade and yeah, forgot to mention.. Does the OP have 4WD/AWD?? If so then I agree. Otherwise No.

Those that never had snow tire experience will not make a good judgement about them.

All you have to do is look at the treads and its common sense why they are better in snow

eh, my father used to change out to snow tires every winter, but he stopped some time in the late 1970s. He hasn't used snow tires since the 70s and has never had an AWD/4WD car or SUV.

I remember my father having snow tires and still getting stuck in the snow once on the day my little brother went to get baptized. This was in the early 70s (1970 or 71, I think)

Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 AM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
I disagree with those who make any distinction between 4WD/AWD and RWD/FWD when it comes to snow tires. In fact, 4WD/AWD does not improve your ability to steer or brake the vehicle at all: the aspects of vehicle control that prevent accidents. Yes, you can get away without them and usually won't pay for it, like riding a bike without a helmet. If you are smart and safety-minded you will have snow tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut