U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
My wife and I have been to Winsted a few times and like the little town.
Can anyone tell us about Winsted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 AM

11,108 posts, read 18,862,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T. View Post
My family lives in the area. The most common description is that it is an old mill town. My step-mother's family arrived from England there to work in a knife factory. The town also made clocks. There were immigrants from many other countries who settled there in the last century.

The great flood of 1955 ripped away half of the Main Street, and it was never rebuilt. There are still some summer cottages on the lake above Main Street. There are some decent restuarants along Main Street.

Otherwise, the town is known as the home of Ralph Nader's family. Nader wrote eloquently about how the community-centerness of his background shaped his values and career.

The population still remains small, but the town is helped by the presence of a community college. An explanation of the local high schools is here Good School Zones in NW CT? .

What else would you like to know?

Old 08-11-2016, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,643 times
Yes, the lake area is a beautiful.
Do you know if there are plans to revitalize Main St. ?

Old 08-11-2016, 02:54 PM

18,326 posts, read 17,505,525 times
(As a kid, I was stranded nearby in the 1955 flood--thanks, Goldenage1, for mentioning it. Brought back some scary memories but everything turned out okay for us.) Later I had a friend who lived near the lake. Winsted is in kind of a remote location.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,359 times
I lived in Winsted for about 30 years and am stranded in Florida and desperately trying to move back - my husband Dave worked at Napa for a few years and died of Cancer 2 years ago after a 6 year battle - I have just been informed that I have Cancer also. I have 2 sons living there now with their wives & children and I have never met their wives and my Grand babies. I lived in several places around the lake and Just want to come home again. Winsted is a wonderful place to live, the resterants are great, especially Kent Pizza. I am a cat advocate and have 9 cats, also fixed and chipped and have probably stopped about a thousand cats from being born. I am searching for a rural home to rent who will allow my cats also. They are indoor cats, all born feral. I can afford 6 or 7 hundred a month, am quiet, clean (owned a house cleaning business for 25 years there.) I don't do the bar scene , love the outdoors, gardening, and just being in the woods. I realize that's a lot of cats but I won't part with them - I saved them and they saved me when David died. I just want to move back there as soon as possible to be with my family. Is there any hope of finding a place in or around Winsted?? Please help me get home again.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:05 PM

4,105 posts, read 2,984,444 times
Winsted / Winchester is a struggling town, which means it has its own share of grit and riff-raff. According to the City-Data crime stats, Winsted/Winchester has the same Crime Rate as Guilford, while Torrington's Crime Rate is equal to Branford's or Milford's. That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I just want to point that out.

Winsted is not near interstate highways, so that's good for some, and bad for others.

There aren't plenty of jobs around, and real estate reflects these conditions -- i.e. cheaper than most. It is close to many outdoor activities, and some beautiful driving roads. Route 8 northward for example is very pretty.

It's one of the coldest places in CT, although there are colder towns, such as Norfolk 10 miles west for example.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

90 posts, read 88,073 times
Great-grandparents arrived in Winsted in the 1870's, and the three children born to them lived and worked there until about 1950. In my youth, I heard this description of why Torrington was three times larger: The factory owners in Winsted kept additional factories out, lest there be competition in the wage scale. Torrington welcomed new factories. In the last half-century, driving to work on new highways (CT 8, or the improved US 44) meant that for some people Winsted offers lower home costs and a more placid city
---
Yes, this is a very incomplete summation.

Old Today, 12:04 AM

948 posts, read 1,050,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T. View Post
Greetings,
My wife and I have been to Winsted a few times and like the little town.
I was born and raised in Winsted - it was nice growing up in that small town. It's only in my later adult life that I look back and understand how much the '55 flood impacted Winsted, and in many ways set it back to a point I don't think it's ever recovered from.

I was 6 years old when the flood hit - my mother shipped me off to stay with an aunt in MA as she had her hands full with a new baby. So no memories of the flood, but recently I've been looking at news from that time, and photographs. It was pretty devastating. One whole side of Main St. just disappeared. I have no memory of what it looked like before.

At one time there were lots of factories that did quite well in their day. But like a lot of small NE mill towns, things change when those factories close. The community college definitely breathed much-needed life to the economy when it opened.

One thing I always liked were the beautiful road trips to be had from town. Old Rt. 8, Rt. 44 to Norfolk and beyond - to the Berkshires of Western MA. Highland Lake was (and must still be) a great asset to the area. Spent many a summer day there.

Well, if you do a forum search on Winsted, you'll find lots of input, both negative and positive posts. Much depends on what you need to do to make a living. If you're retired that's not a concern. Someone mentioned Ralph Nader - I used to help his mother clean their house, which was close by to mine.

When I get home, the first thing I do is go to Kent Pizza for an eggplant grinder ... I love their eggplant grinders. Colorado is beautiful, but no one in the west knows how to do a back east grinder.

Old Today, 04:44 AM

18,326 posts, read 17,505,525 times
I know there are condos there now--I know someone who lived in them. So it must have made some kind of a comeback since 1955. But that flood destroyed the town. I was nearby and for days no one knew what had happened...no radio, no tv, no newspapers. We didn't have electricity or running water. No way to get food. And the roads were just gone. After days of this, a policeman finally came up our street and said no one was allowed to go anywhere. And he said Winsted was gone. Thr one time I went there post flood there were houses and Highland Lake. People seemed nice, down to earth.

Old Today, 07:54 AM

65 posts, read 21,897 times
I've been up there about a dozen times or so. Ive always thought of it as an alright, slower paced town in CT. Highland Lake area is nice . Real estate seems affordable. I've heard some people talk ill about Winsted but never a valid reason for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut