Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you go to your city/town center?
Practically never 10 22.22%
A few times a year 1 2.22%
A few times a month 8 17.78%
A few times a week 10 22.22%
I'm constantly there 16 35.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Then you might as well enjoy New Britain. We both knew what it looked like-it hasn't changed dramatically. The important thing is you found a job.
Actually, I've driven through downtown New Britain recently and was rather impressed. It seems to be very clean now with new, renovated buildings and shops, and a little green space. It's pretty nice. Not sure how safe it is to actually walk around though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:31 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
I'm in our town center a few times each week. It's where our community (and portions of Weston) shops, eats and entertains. We are on a first name basis with our dry cleaner, Starbucks baristas and the owners of several fine dining destinations (looking at you Bianco Rosso and Portofino's). We also consistently run into our neighbors and classmates. It's not a flashy shopping strip like NC or Greenwich so out of towners are atypical, but it's perfect for those of us living and working in Wilton. Parking is plentiful and very walkable from end to end.

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 08-23-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Multiple times a week, almost daily. Either for the train station, coffee shop, Scratch Baking, restaurants/pubs, or just to park by the harbor or duck ponds on a nice weekend day and walk.

When I lived near Bethel I only used the downtown maybe once a week.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
My downtown is one street so I drive through it quite a bit to get to the highway and the gas station. It does have a nice walking path though.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:48 AM

486 posts, read 601,748 times
I'm not sure if this thread is only for Connecticut residents or not, but I'll answer anyway. I live in Erie, PA, a small city of 100,000 (metro of 280,000) between Cleveland and Buffalo. The downtown has improved immensely in the past 10 years. We have a new convention center, two beautiful hotels, several great restaurants, a newly remodeled arena, ballpark, and a beautiful bayfront.

Not including work, I am usually downtown a few times a week to walk, eat dinner or attend an event.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:52 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
I'm not sure if this thread is only for Connecticut residents or not, but I'll answer anyway. I live in Erie, PA, a small city of 100,000 (metro of 280,000) between Cleveland and Buffalo. The downtown has improved immensely in the past 10 years. We have a new convention center, two beautiful hotels, several great restaurants, a newly remodeled arena, ballpark, and a beautiful bayfront.

Not including work, I am usually downtown a few times a week to walk, eat dinner or attend an event.
I really liked Erie, the one time I went there a few years ago. It was a small, quaint rust belt city on the lake. Low cost of living, easy traffic, yet still convenient for amenities. The winters are harsh, but still beautiful.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
also, I'll shop in nearby town centers, New Haven, Fairfield, Westport, etc before going to any malls. I find malls depressing and the store selections usually boring.

I also do a lot of my clothes shopping at Clinton Crossing. I realize it's technically a mall, but the prices are great and at least it's outdoors.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Why did you choose New Britain? It is an ugly city IMO.
Don't say that. If New Britain is considered ugly then Hartford must be raw sewage. Lol! New Britain isn't THAT bad.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Excuse me, but driving through the center does not count!
That's a perfect case of not reading the description . Then I go to downtown once a week or so. All of my shopping is done in West Hartford since the West End of Hartford is only a couple miles away.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I'm in SoNo, downtown Stamford, Harbor Point and the main strips in both Darien and New Canaan numerous times a week. So, all the time. Actually heading to a spin class in downtown Darien in about 15 minutes...then going to grab dinner in SoNo, after. I'm on a regular name basis with many of the owners of restaurants, shops etc.

Same when I lived more upstate--New Haven and downtown Milford and even Huntington. I can still go back to all the centers and people know me.
Pretty much the same places for me here- mostly Darien & New Canaan (coffee shops, dry cleaners, grocery stores, movie theater, parks/beaches, restaurants). We tend to avoid downtown Stamford (Bedford street area) and SoNo due to parking being a hassle, but lately find ourselves in Harbor Point every other week or so for drinks or such. Would add in Greenwich and Westport for dining pretty frequently as well. One of the best parts about CT or New England in general are walkable town centers in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut