Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

I am fine too. I agree it is more to do with being young and expecting more. No matter where you live, things are fairly similar. You go to work every day and face the same issues you face no matter where you live. If you want a change of scenery that is fine for a while but take it from me, if you do start a family, it is best to be near family where you can have some support. We did not really have that close by and it was not easy or cheap. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Having lived almost my entire life here for 30+ years, I struggle to find new and exciting things to do in CT. Not gonna lie. There isn't 30 years' worth of things to do here. It is also rather depressing being young, gay and single. Everyone knows everyone in the gay community here, and the gay community tends to be reserved and cliquish. So that's my biggest complaint. I'm not going to pretend that that aspect of living here is fabulous, because it simply isn't. I'm 32 and still single in CT. The writing is on the wall. It's not just a gay thing though. I know many straight people over 30 in CT who have a very hard time finding a good partner. Most people who got married here were the result of knowing someone during their high school, college or early-to-mid 20's years. So, in summary, this state really isn't conducive to being single and having a good selection of dating opportunities. It just isn't. And married, straight people will never ever ever ever ever ever understand this.

With that said, it is optimal to be living near family and in your native territory. Economically, I'm doing well as a renter. But buying a home is out of reach anytime in the foreseeable future, due to the high cost of property in central CT. Being a single-income householder makes it even more challenging. I probably won't be able to purchase a home here until I'm at least 45, based on my calculations.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I think the problem is more you than the state.

You are what 29-30 and all you have is a part time job with what appears to be no advancement opportunities in it. That's not good financially.

How is it difficult is it to drive in the winter ? I drive 30,000 miles a year. The roads are clear within hours after a storm. What does weather have to do with living a healthy lifestyle ? That is not about CT -that is about you.

You have another thread going on another board about how bad you have road rage. You need help.

You're living in one of the more congested areas of the state. You're still living at home with your mother . Many of your problems could be cured by getting a better , full time job , moving out, becoming independent, moving elsewhere in the state where traffic is less, etc.
Well winter is a pain. I commute in various hours of the day. Last winter during the ice storms around midnight roads weren't salted or plowed. Then winter before roads weren't plowed during the storm when driving.

I lived in Danbury with a roommate and Nagy with a roommate. Moved back home paying $300 a month in rent when I was laid off from my job.

I mean I work part time. I make more part time then any full time job I have held. I make about 500 a week after taxes taken out right now.

Racked up some bills when unemployed to make ends meet so paying those off now, do monthly income about a 1000.

In the process of going back to school to better myself. Find more stable work, full time work, and higher paying work. I feel I I made more I be happier in this State. Living off a 1000 a month in this State is a challenge.

Road rage will admit I do have. I use to be happier with my shorter commutes or drives up into the Country area of the State. Going into the congested areas makes me angrier and increasingly frustrated.

As far as healthy lifestyles. Outside of Spring, Summer, and Fall. For 4 months there is very little activities to do besides walking the malls of the State in the winter. I am looking to join the YMCA to swim to help cure the winter blues.

Will agree after certain amount of years in the State you seen and almost have done it all.

I do hope in 2 1/2 years when done with school moving farther East in the State will be better.

Will say the best place ever did live for a short while was New Milford. Mostly everyone was very friendly, the community was very involved, lot of local activities going on, and easy commute to Danbury.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:49 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Could it be the OPs relationship with his fiance?
I actually been dwelling on this a lot. I feel the living conditions of the State produce this sour mood. That then affects my relationship with my fiancée. I think once my fiancé can finish school, sometime in the first half of the year, her income & mind will probably be able to afford a rental in a decent quiet area. That will improve my mood.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times
I felt the same way as you after living in Westchester County ,NY for 42 years.......
The only 2 things that I don't love is that car dealers ( my work) don't pay anything close to a NY dealer and the traffic sucks.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I actually been dwelling on this a lot. I feel the living conditions of the State produce this sour mood. That then affects my relationship with my fiancée. I think once my fiancé can finish school, sometime in the first half of the year, her income & mind will probably be able to afford a rental in a decent quiet area. That will improve my mood.
"Living conditions"?

We rank 1 in human development, which means living conditions are the best in the nation and among the best in the world.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
"Living conditions"?

We rank 1 in human development, which means living conditions are the best in the nation and among the best in the world.
Maybe if you're in a well off household. But for the average CT person, nope.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The human development index is based on averages, not the top percentage.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:25 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
70% of CT towns are high income

Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
RunD- it's not living conditions- it's your income. You're taking home $ 500 a week or about $25-26,000 a year as an adult.

Of course, you're choking- you can't expect to live on that in CT. You're at the bottom of the income heap. It seems you're trying or planning on getting some sort of nursing degree. That would help tremendously with potential income down the road, although you'll probably wind up with a ton of student debt to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut