Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:43 PM

35 posts, read 35,784 times

Advertisements

Well, after we moved here years ago we made that mistake. We now almost always leave our trash and recyclables in the garage. But, at some point in he morning the plastic bins are wheeled out to the curb. They sit outside for about 2-3 hours before the trash man comes. In that time the bears make their move.

To avoid this my husband had rigged up a simple 'lock' using a set of elastic bands (bungees) that are normally used to secure a bike to a bike rack. It worked until the Bears figured out how to pull it off. They had to knock the wheeled tote on its side first and then unwrap and pull the cord off with their teeth and claws together - at a certain angle as he opposite angles would only tighten it. So, we got about 2 years out of this contraption. (Also, on occasion the trash guys wouldn't empty our container since it was 'locked'. I guess some of them couldn't figure it out. :-).

We've had a large number of bear sightings in my neighborhood in Avon. We abut a forest preserve. They live in it. It runs right into the huckleberry hill preserve where the Bears den for winter.

Most of these bears have ear tags. The ones with several tags have already been identified as 'problem Bears'. A particular two year old male was the one on my back deck. He had to climb seven stairs to be where he was. Given his age, multiple ear tags (2 green), the steps and his absolute lack of fear in sitting next to me - I called the police that one time.

He got away.

I was okay with it. I think I know what would have happened.

The Bears are becoming a problem. We all know it. It really is only a matter of time.

Last edited by Tompho; 09-01-2016 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 05:56 PM

35 posts, read 35,784 times
Also, I'll add that the neighborhood uses an app to warn one another about cub or big male sightings. It's been very useful. Many of us have set it up for text notifications so we know immediately when these two types are on the move. Time, location, direction.

It's a good attempt to keep everybody happy: pets and small children indoors and give the Bears some room.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompho View Post
Most of these bears have ear tags. The ones with several tags have already been identified as 'problem Bears'. A particular two year old male was the one on my back deck. He had to climb seven stairs to be where he was. Given his age, multiple ear tags (2 green), the steps and his absolute lack of fear in sitting next to me - I called the police that one time.
That is a common misconception but false nonetheless. From DEEP:

Quote:
What's the Story Behind Ear Tags on Bears?
When reporting a bear sighting, information on the presence or absence of ear tags, including tag color, letters, and numbering, is particularly valuable. A common misconception is that a tagged bear is a problem bear, and a bear with two ear tags was caught on two different occasions because it was causing problems. Actually, every bear receives two ear tags (one in each ear) the first time it is handled by DEEP. Most tagged bears have not been caught as problem bears, but rather as part of a project researching the state’s population.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion on the threat of bears but understand how one could be freaked out. They are large and have the ability to kill you...not many other wild animals in CT have that ability. Having lived in an area with more bears than suburban CT coupled by the fact that I backpack regularly in the northeast, my comfort level is probably a lot higher than yours.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
We have friends in NW Jetsey where the bear population far exceeds CT's. Truth be told, it does alter the way you live there. Children need to be smart, informed and aware (and equipped with air horns to use when necessary ). I don't think CT is at that point yet, but I'm really not up-to-speed with what's going on in that part of the state. I do know sightings here in my neck of the woods (far northwestern Fairfield County), have increased dramatically. But with that said, I've only seen them twice...

Old 09-03-2016, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 6,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompho View Post
It's a good attempt to keep everybody happy: pets and small children indoors and give the Bears some room.
But I don't want to keep my kids indoors. I want them to be able to be in the yard or walk around the neighborhood without having to worry about dangerous wildlife.

I really appreciate all the responses. People we have talked to have really p'shawed the situation and now I'm thinking it was just so they didn't discourage us in our home search. All the candid and honest responses here have been very enlightening and welcome.

We don't know what to do now.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:57 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTStarshine View Post
But I don't want to keep my kids indoors. I want them to be able to be in the yard or walk around the neighborhood without having to worry about dangerous wildlife.

I really appreciate all the responses. People we have talked to have really p'shawed the situation and now I'm thinking it was just so they didn't discourage us in our home search. All the candid and honest responses here have been very enlightening and welcome.

We don't know what to do now.
You're being a worry wart... and it's completely unnecessary. Millions of people live in the area you're looking at and play outside/go for walks, etc without ANY issues. I've lived here for years and never saw a bear, nor do I know anyone in person who ever saw a bear...

So, relax..

Old 09-03-2016, 06:59 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
You're being a worry wart... and it's completely unnecessary. Millions of people live in the area you're looking at and play outside/go for walks, etc without ANY issues. I've lived here for years and never saw a bear, nor do I know anyone in person who ever saw a bear...

So, relax..
Agreed - Connecticut is one of the most densely populated states in the country - I think it's 2nd to New Jersey. Yet, people in this thread are struggling to come up with actual bear incidents in the state. One supposedly in NJ, where the bear population is higher, and one supposedly where a woman twisted an ankle running away from a bear.

If bears were really a threat, many of the upper middle class and wealthy people that live in towns like Farmington, Avon and Simsbury would have paid to have their yards fenced to keep the bears out. Yet, if I drive through high end neighborhoods in those towns, fenced back yards are few and far between unless it's surrounding the rare pool.

I can't remember the last time there was a fatal wildlife attack in CT?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:27 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
That's not true.
Most of the time that's true that they won't bother you, but there have been cases of fatal attacks on people without provocation. With a black bear it's usually a predatory attack. They want to eat you when they do attack. NEVER run and try not to show fear if you see a black bear and always fight back if they attack. There was a recent fatal black bear attack in NJ where the person was being consumed.

People wiped out black bears out of highly populated areas of CT/NJ a long time ago for these exact reasons, but in our current culture of "gorrilla lives matter" and "lion outrage" people tend to value animal life over human(except when they need a burger!) so there isn't even a hunting season in CT yet. CT is not a wilderness, but we've decided to let black bears come here. Their numbers will increase and they will be all over CT in large numbers soon enough. Nothing holding back their migration across the entire state. SE Ct will have as many bears as nw ct if you give it enough time.

They are not raccoons. They are large potentially dangerous predators.
Haha. Yep, and if a pitbull kills someone, it's ALWAYS the owner's fault.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Agreed - Connecticut is one of the most densely populated states in the country - I think it's 2nd to New Jersey. Yet, people in this thread are struggling to come up with actual bear incidents in the state. One supposedly in NJ, where the bear population is higher, and one supposedly where a woman twisted an ankle running away from a bear.

If bears were really a threat, many of the upper middle class and wealthy people that live in towns like Farmington, Avon and Simsbury would have paid to have their yards fenced to keep the bears out. Yet, if I drive through high end neighborhoods in those towns, fenced back yards are few and far between unless it's surrounding the rare pool.

I can't remember the last time there was a fatal wildlife attack in CT?
It's not "one" in "supposedly NJ" -- it IS ACTUALLY NJ where they truly interfere with day-to-day living... my point was I do not think CT is yet nearly approaching the saturation levels northwest Jersey saw and continues to see. NJ instituted bear hunts a number of years back because the population level exploded... And many were skinny, scrawny, and hungry bears scrimping by just because there were too many of them. I think CT is still a far, far way off from what is happening over there. Just trying to set the OPs mind at ease. But hey, what the hell do I know what's really going on in Farmington valley. I really don't, so sorry if I offended you

Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
It's not "one" in "supposedly NJ" -- it IS ACTUALLY NJ where they truly interfere with day-to-day living... my point was I do not think CT is yet nearly approaching the saturation levels northwest Jersey saw and continues to see. NJ instituted bear hunts a number of years back because the population level exploded... And many were skinny, scrawny, and hungry bears scrimping by just because there were too many of them. I think CT is still a far, far way off from what is happening over there. Just trying to set the OPs mind at ease. But hey, what the hell do I know what's really going on in Farmington valley. I really don't, so sorry if I offended you
one fatality two years ago with a hiker in a nature preserve, not in a residential area. It's not exactly a pattern of bears overrunning residential areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut