Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 4,301 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I've been following the CT forum for a few months, while planning our move from the South, and I'm happy to finally be here - so this is my first post. We're doing our closing on a home in Burlington in a couple of weeks, and I want to start lining up our utilities; I suppose that the electric service just gets transferred to us as new owners, but I want to shop around for internet/phone/TV providers (and oil companies later, for the winter months). I'm not familiar at all with the options available in this area, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:56 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Comcast (Xfinity) is the main internet/TV provider in Burlington. There is a chance you may be able to get service from Frontier, but their availability is usually address specific, and much more limited than Comcast.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Comcast (Xfinity) is the main internet/TV provider in Burlington. There is a chance you may be able to get service from Frontier, but their availability is usually address specific, and much more limited than Comcast.
Thank you VERY much for your response!

Old 08-31-2016, 03:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,667 times
if you don't mind having a satellite dish, you could always give Directv a try. they had a pretty good deal going on a month or so back. the only problem is you have to get internet and phone separately from other providers but you can mix and match if need be (Directv for cable, Xfinity for internet). you may find that DTV cable service is cheaper than Xfinity's.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
if you don't mind having a satellite dish, you could always give Directv a try. they had a pretty good deal going on a month or so back. the only problem is you have to get internet and phone separately from other providers but you can mix and match if need be (Directv for cable, Xfinity for internet). you may find that DTV cable service is cheaper than Xfinity's.
Good tip! Thank you!!!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Based on personal experience I don't recommend satellite dishes. They are ok most of the time, but during heavy rain and storms your signal will go out. It used to happen to me all the time and lots of people I know complain about the same problem. You also need to factor in trees and other objects that may make having a dish impossible. Not worth it in my opinion.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Based on personal experience I don't recommend satellite dishes. They are ok most of the time, but during heavy rain and storms your signal will go out. It used to happen to me all the time and lots of people I know complain about the same problem. You also need to factor in trees and other objects that may make having a dish impossible. Not worth it in my opinion.
Thanks again, ansky! The main thing for us is fast and reliable internet, since we do everything online. We don't watch much TV (just the news and documentaries) and we use our Apple TV for movies; I hope that Xfinity will work for us, I've been looking at their "bundles" since getting your first response. The landline is important too, considering the fact that our cell service (with AT&T) is sketchy around here, even with the iPhones connected to WiFi...but it's not a bad deal, after all, considering the perks of not living in a busy city anymore and being back "up north"!

Old 09-01-2016, 01:40 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Frontier was good when it was AT&T UVerse. However, since the changeover to Frontier, it's been a disaster. And the customer service is horrible.

I've heard satellite internet is a mixed bag, at best. If you have no other options, you take it. (I think they have data caps on their plans as well the last I checked)

I've had surprisingly good luck with satellite TV over the years - mostly DISH Network. Maybe we just had good luck with the installation locations and the guys doing the install, but it's rarely gone out for us, even in bad weather. When we had the hurricanes, blizzards & tropical storms in recent years, we didn't lose reception for even a second - until all the power went out. That said, I've had friends/neighbors right around the corner from me with satellite TV and had the opposite experience. (DISH has an awesome DVR, too - tons of storage) My mom switched from Comcast/XFinity TV to Direct TV because Comcast dropped the YES Network and they've had a ton of trouble with satellite reception where they live.

I would say XFinity would be your best option in Burlington, if available.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post

I would say XFinity would be your best option in Burlington, if available.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: