Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 11:39 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
No, that's a search engine. Give us an actual source that backs up your assertion.

I can't find one.

You can assert anything and ask someone else to disprove it using Google. You made the claim, show your backup. I'm curious, so I did look it up. Here's what I found:

Then looking at fatalities, this has police down at 15th most dangerous: Dangerous Jobs: These Are the Deadliest Jobs in America

According to this nursing assistants and groundskeepers have a higher injury rate among municipal employees: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/arch...2_11192015.pdf

It shows that there are private sector occupations with significantly higher injury rates than police.

So essentially, yes, it's a dangerous job, but you are more likely to die in 14 other occupations and more likely to have an injury that takes you away from work in a handful.

So according to the research that you should have done yourself, Kid, it's not the most dangerous occupation. It doesn't have (nearly) the highest death rate, nor does it have the highest injury rate.
Gonna assume you've never had a gun pointed at you're head.
Stick to writing java.
If a trooper wants to run an errand to Stop and Shop in the cruiser so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:42 AM

752 posts, read 553,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's disturbing how anti-police some of the regulars are on this forum. But reasons for that are another thread.
I'm not anti-police at all. I'm glad there out there and thankful for the job they do.

I also think that there are a number of bad cops who've been systemically protected when committing bad acts and that needs to be addressed.

Pretty ridiculous to think that I'm anti-police because I look at actual statistics before proclaiming they have the most dangerous job on Earth...

Old 09-18-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Gonna assume you've never had a gun pointed at you're head.
Stick to writing java.
If a trooper wants to run an errand to Stop and Shop in the cruiser so be it.
Can you explain what one thing has to do with another?

I think cops taking their state provided vehicles to soccer practice and Stop and Shop is an unnecessary expense. Period.

I have no idea what that has to do with guns being pointed at my head.

Java? Not in 15 years. LOL.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:

I think cops taking their state provided vehicles to soccer practice and Stop and Shop is an unnecessary expense. Period.

Well usually nursing assistants and groundskeepers dont face off with guns. Not sure why i needed to clarify that.
You got me good on the java thing though, hats off, its been about 15 years since i did that stuff

Old 09-18-2016, 11:53 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times
Quote:

Don't dismiss the fact that giving officers access to vehicles off duty helps deter crime (ever see how perfectly people drive when a cop is around?), has officers on our streets with the ability/expectation to act off the state's dime, which means it's cheaper to give them their own vehicles instead of hiring a ton more cops (with that comes benefits/pensions etc). So it makes financial sense, really..

Old 09-18-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Don't dismiss the fact that giving officers access to vehicles off duty helps deter crime (ever see how perfectly people drive when a cop is around?), has officers on our streets with the ability/expectation to act off the state's dime, which means it's cheaper to give them their own vehicles instead of hiring a ton more cops (with that comes benefits/pensions etc). So it makes financial sense, really..
Except for the minor impact on traffic, the officers will still be in the community if they drove their own Toyota. This is certainly not the biggest waste of state tax dollars out there. However, I do think it's emblematic of how people in this state "pick and choose" to apply different standards to classes of state employee the prefer.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:02 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Except for the minor impact on traffic, the officers will still be in the community if they drove their own Toyota. This is certainly not the biggest waste of state tax dollars out there. However, I do think it's emblematic of how people in this state "pick and choose" to apply different standards to classes of state employee the prefer.
Except in their "Toyota", they can't go lights and sirens if a call comes in near their location. They can't slow traffic for a stranded motorist. Its likely they wouldn't act if a violent crime occurred because they wouldn't be carrying their service weapon (since their Toyota doesn't have a proper safe/mount).

Every single day, troopers respond to calls while off duty. By giving them vehicles, you have over 1,000 men and women on the road who aren't on duty, ready to act if they need to. It absolutely saves the state money, with the added benefit of public safety. Win, win.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Every single day, troopers respond to calls while off duty.
Except for resident troopers who are pretty much always on duty, again, I don't know how you would know this. You THINK you know, but, I'd like to see some data that says they do this EVERY single day and that it has a true impact.

I'm sure you'll direct me back to Google as you did before, but, I'll hope for the best.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:52 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Except for resident troopers who are pretty much always on duty, again, I don't know how you would know this. You THINK you know, but, I'd like to see some data that says they do this EVERY single day and that it has a true impact.

I'm sure you'll direct me back to Google as you did before, but, I'll hope for the best.
Because, I know. And I know firsthand.

How exactly can you deny that off duty troopers respond to calls? It's common knowledge and happens all the time. You're trying to back me into a corner by demanding numbers/studies etc. that [you know] don't exist publically unless you contact the state police and request them. There's a difference between "stats" and reality. I'm sorry you can't understand that.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Because, I know. And I know firsthand.

How exactly can you deny that off duty troopers respond to calls? It's common knowledge and happens all the time. You're trying to back me into a corner by demanding numbers/studies etc. that [you know] don't exist publically unless you contact the state police and request them. There's a difference between "stats" and reality. I'm sorry you can't understand that.
I'm not denying it. I am saying that without actual numbers I don't know.

Since you know, I assume you contacted the state police-- What did they provide for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut