Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 6,793 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My family and I are moving from bay area to CT at the end of Oct. I got a job in Ridgefield and DW is expected to find a job near the area as well. We have two kids, 9 and 4. The 9-year old is currently enrolled in the GATE program, and the younger one was diagnosed with ASD. We are looking to buy a house in a good school district that can meet the needs of both kids--mainly a decent district with reasonably service for autistic kids. We have a tentative budget of 600~650k.

I have read many posts on this forum about finding good school districts for autistic kids, but it seems there is no definite consensus about this issue...

Thank you in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
With your budget, Ridgefield is a good start. You can get a decent house for 650k. Wilton is another good town to look into. Both have excellent school districts.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:54 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
With your budget, Ridgefield is a good start. You can get a decent house for 650k. Wilton is another good town to look into. Both have excellent school districts.
I agree. These are two of the best school districts in the state so they should fit the OP's needs well. Both are beautiful towns and their commute would be short. Great place to look for a home. Jay

Old 09-03-2016, 09:59 AM

I'll also add that by looking in these two communities, you can look into job opportunities in most areas of southwestern CT, from Waterbury to Norwalk/Stamford and even White Plains. $650k is about average for both towns.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:44 PM

Thank you so much for your comments! I understand both Ridgefield and Wilton are excellent school districts and I'm sure my 9-year old would do well there. But earlier posts also mentioned that the best school districts are not necessarily best in terms of special education service for kids on the spectrum...

A future colleague of mine recommended Newtown as a good candidate. I understand Newtown is also a great school district, maybe not as prestigious as Ridgefield or Wilton, but what about the special education services?

Old 09-04-2016, 06:20 AM

Your best bet is to try and speak to local parents about each district. You can find "mom" groups for almost every town on Facebook.

I tend to think Ridgefield will be better than Newtown for special education services but I have no personal experience with this.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:11 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
This may make you prefer Ridgefield....

Ridgefield schools hire new special services administrator - NewsTimes

Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 PM

Wow! That is indeed some good news to chew over. It may very well be the final deciding factor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

Old 09-04-2016, 11:30 PM

Also, how bad is the commute from Farmington to Ridgefield on a daily basis? We were considering Farmington because it is closer to a big city and likely has more service available for kids with special needs. Farmington school district would be a nice choice for the other normal kid of ours.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmodulin View Post
Also, how bad is the commute from Farmington to Ridgefield on a daily basis? We were considering Farmington because it is closer to a big city and likely has more service available for kids with special needs. Farmington school district would be a nice choice for the other normal kid of ours.
Closer to a big city?? Farmington is several towns away from Hartford whereas Ridgefield is right next to Danbury and very close to Norwalk. Ridgefield also draws a lot of talent and highly skilled people from New York City.

Anyway it will be at least an hour without traffic, and there will be lots of traffic. I don't know why you'd consider Farmington when you have everything you need right in Ridgefield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut