Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:38 PM

570 posts, read 477,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do you have anything to back this up? I ask because I know of several firms in lower FFC that are hiring like crazy, all which pay very well. Salaries are close to that of Manhattan, and there are so many city employees who make the reverse commute that several firms provide shuttle buses to/from the FFC office.
More empirical evidence, I work in finance sector in CT and banking employment retraction has impacted many colleagues in last year particularly UBS, RBS and GE Capital downsizing. Some at UBS could keep their job if willing to commute to Weekhawken, NJ facility. Tough choice. I don't know anyone who found another finance job in CT. Most took consulting gigs in NYC. Some recommended changing industries altogether. What industry are you referring to in lower CT? I would say most my colleagues had total comp. between 150k - 200k. Crickets at that range..I've tested it myself. Maybe some hedge funds but they are small hires.

Last edited by CT_Yank; 10-05-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 08:03 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Agreed. I know several families who went through the same exact experience, both in Stamford and Norwalk. Its pretty common. Young couple moves out from the city, settles in Norwalk or Stamford, stay there for a few years until their first kid is on the way and then start looking at the surrounding towns.
The point is they are going on the word of others who most of the time aren't even in the school system. I get wanting to shelter your kids. I did that too before we got my son. I can tell you that I learned quickly that schools are never as "bad" as the rumors you hear. And even if there is an undesirable element, that doesn't mean your kid will get sucked into it.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The point is they are going on the word of others who most of the time aren't even in the school system. I get wanting to shelter your kids. I did that too before we got my son. I can tell you that I learned quickly that schools are never as "bad" as the rumors you hear. And even if there is an undesirable element, that doesn't mean your kid will get sucked into it.
Exactly. And tossing that information out as third hand on a thread further reduces accuracy.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:27 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
As I said the couple I was talking about was not basing their decision on "rumors". They based it on actual experiences of people they met when they moved to Norwalk. While you may view this as sheltering your child, I view it as protecting them as much as possible from problems. No one can completely protect their child from the real world but as a parent I want to try and keep them as safe as possible and give them the best chance I can. To me and most people that means living in a town where the schools are generally safe and free of most of the issues that typical urban schools have. Of course you and the OP may not agree but no one should degrade a parent for making that choice for their child. JMHO, Jay

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly. And tossing that information out as third hand on a thread further reduces accuracy.
Come on now Kidyankee, I believe you and your family live in an affluent suburb that has excellent schools but is somewhat removed from your DW's job. Why is that? Jay

Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
Quote:
When you meet a parent who teaches in Norwalk and tells you that they wouldn't send their kids to school there, I'd say that's pretty compelling, first hand info.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:53 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Come on now Kidyankee, I believe you and your family live in an affluent suburb that has excellent schools but is somewhat removed from your DW's job. Why is that? Jay
It's mostly because I like to be away from crowds, traffic and have my own space. I have zero desire to live in an area like Fairfield or Norwalk where houses are on top of each other in comparison. And I can't afford to spend over a million bucks on a modest house in one of the more rural towns so that is why I moved north. I have a decent house on over an acre on a cul de sac with only about 9 houses.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As I said the couple I was talking about was not basing their decision on "rumors". They based it on actual experiences of people they met when they moved to Norwalk. While you may view this as sheltering your child, I view it as protecting them as much as possible from problems. No one can completely protect their child from the real world but as a parent I want to try and keep them as safe as possible and give them the best chance I can. To me and most people that means living in a town where the schools are generally safe and free of most of the issues that typical urban schools have. Of course you and the OP may not agree but no one should degrade a parent for making that choice for their child. JMHO, Jay
The bolded works both ways, ahem.

You want to know what my son ended up being sheltered from:

ultra competitive parents
entitled kids living in fantasy land whose parents cover everything
expensive 16th birthday parties at a banquet hall
expectations that he was getting a car better than what the teachers drove when he got his license
athletic coaches not feeling obligated to kids of certain parents
pressure to conform
pressure to have material things
no one looking down their nose at kids who entered community college or state schools
classmates renting beach houses on prom night

I can go on. Does that mean all kids in non-urban schools are like that? No. But my kid didn't have anxiety over the stupid things that kids in suburban schools can have either.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
When you meet a parent who teaches in Norwalk and tells you that they wouldn't send their kids to school there, I'd say that's pretty compelling, first hand info.
One person...who likely won't be teaching in Norwalk much long either if she hates it that much. Fortunately most teachers I know in urban areas are proud of their work. I know people in the Westport system that won't send their kids to school there...see how many kids were suicidal there over the past two years. Pros and cons to everything.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The bolded works both ways, ahem.

You want to know what my son ended up being sheltered from:

ultra competitive parents
entitled kids living in fantasy land whose parents cover everything
expensive 16th birthday parties at a banquet hall
expectations that he was getting a car better than what the teachers drove when he got his license
athletic coaches not feeling obligated to kids of certain parents
pressure to conform
pressure to have material things
no one looking down their nose at kids who entered community college or state schools
classmates renting beach houses on prom night

I can go on. Does that mean all kids in non-urban schools are like that? No. But my kid didn't have anxiety over the stupid things that kids in suburban schools can have either.
I really think you have been watching too many television sitcoms. My kids went to school in an affluent town and I can tell you it was rare that they saw any of this. My take on each of these:

ultra competitive parents - Only one instance and I used it as a lesson of what not to do instead of ignoring it or trying to dismiss it
entitled kids living in fantasy land whose parents cover everything - None of my kids or their friends are like this AT ALL
expensive 16th birthday parties at a banquet hall - Never happened in my kids circle of friends but they did go to a couple of bar/bat mitzvahs that were somewhat elaborate
expectations that he was getting a car better than what the teachers drove when he got his license Not my kids or any of their friends
athletic coaches not feeling obligated to kids of certain parents - the only favoritism I saw was the high school baseball coach selected only members of the State Champion Little League team to be on the high school team but that had nothing to do with the parents
pressure to conform - this happens in all class levels including urban schools
pressure to have material things - my kids and all of their friends are not materialistic at all
no one looking down their nose at kids who entered community college or state schools - the majority of the kids in my kids high school went to state schools
classmates renting beach houses on prom night - The high school hosts an after-prom party at the high school that most kids go to. Don't know anyone who rented a beach house or even a hotel room for after prom partying

I am not saying that some of this does not happen but honestly it is so rare that you really are not protecting your kids from any of these. Your list is just as bad as the list of what suburban parents commonly say they fear in urban schools which includes drugs, violence, lower academic expectations, indifferent parents and a host of other things I won't get into. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut