Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

Saturday evening, I went to the Durham fair for the first time ever. I naturally expected there to be plenty of traffic and long lines of people, but what I found was far worse than I'd anticipated.

First I got directed to one of the off-site parking lots and sat in barely moving traffic for 15-20 minutes just to enter the lot. Then I stood in line for 15-20 minutes just to get on the bus. Another 15-20 minutes on the bus going through more barely moving traffic until I was finally at the fair.

When it came time to leave, I found the line to get on the bus extended into the next time zone. I stood in just for 60-70 minutes just to get on the bus. Then another 10-15 minutes to leave the parking lot once I got back.

Seriously, has it always been like this? I saw plenty of people who were just as stunned as I was by the length of the exit line. You'd think there would be a better way. I was at the Big E two years ago, a fair that's probably 10x bigger, and had zero trouble leaving at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:04 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The Durham Fair has always been popular but I think with the beautiful weather we have been having it brought out even more crowds than normal. Jay

Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM

249 posts, read 354,385 times
I much prefer the Hebron Fair over the Durham Fair and not just for parking reasons.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:20 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Saturday evening, I went to the Durham fair for the first time ever. I naturally expected there to be plenty of traffic and long lines of people, but what I found was far worse than I'd anticipated.

First I got directed to one of the off-site parking lots and sat in barely moving traffic for 15-20 minutes just to enter the lot. Then I stood in line for 15-20 minutes just to get on the bus. Another 15-20 minutes on the bus going through more barely moving traffic until I was finally at the fair.

When it came time to leave, I found the line to get on the bus extended into the next time zone. I stood in just for 60-70 minutes just to get on the bus. Then another 10-15 minutes to leave the parking lot once I got back.

Seriously, has it always been like this? I saw plenty of people who were just as stunned as I was by the length of the exit line. You'd think there would be a better way. I was at the Big E two years ago, a fair that's probably 10x bigger, and had zero trouble leaving at the end of the day.
We went yesterday and we go almost every year. Honestly never had a problem parking or any traffic issues. We drive down Rte 68 and park in the Greenback Farm parking lot and a shuttle bus takes you on literally a 3 minute ride to the gates. We got there yesterday around 12:30 and while it was crowded, it was 10 minutes to the front gate (from pulling into and parking and taking the shuttle bus). Yesterday was PERFECT weather for going. We don't go at night so maybe it was the time you and I went that makes a difference. I think if I had to complain about anything, it would be the families with strollers. My God....they are too many in tight spaces and stroller people either run your feet over or wont get out of your way.....ever......That's my issue anyway.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
The Big E was always a mob scene this year and we went on a Monday. Usually we always go Mondays to avoid the crowds but there was traffic and a good amount of people strolling around. Not quite a weekend group but still busy.

We did the Durham Fair once and never again. It was OK but I wouldn't go again. For the price, parking issues (the dusty fields and school buses) and the fact that it is on the side of a big hill meaning strollers and children are not the easiest to maneuver, we pass it up.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:54 PM

249 posts, read 354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
For the price, parking issues (the dusty fields and school buses) and the fact that it is on the side of a big hill meaning strollers and children are not the easiest to maneuver, we pass it up.
That hill is a killer and I don't like the way it's laid out. Hard pass.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:12 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Heard free parking less crowded on Thursday night
Might go Thursday might next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: