Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 AM

121 posts, read 125,969 times

Advertisements

I got a postcard in the mail that said it was time to clean our septic tank. We are on city septic (Newtown) and had the tank inspected before purchase (no issues.) The post card said last cleaning was in 2014. Do I need to have it cleaned again per the post card? I have no idea as I am not from here, did not grow up with septic and am generally clueless about septic systems.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
When we had our septic inspected, he also pumped it out. I would contact the company who did the inspection and ask if it also included a pump out. If not, just to be safe, I'd get it pumped so you'll have a pump date in mind. Id ask them at that point how often they recommend a pump out.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:13 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
I get mine pumped every year, which may be excessive, but gives me peace of mind. In most cases its 2 to 3 years. Your local health department should be able to tell you what is required.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
I live in a 2 adult household with a septic designed for 4-5 people. I get a pump out/inspection every 4 years and it is only 1/2 full at that point. My town health dept. requires at least one pump out every 5 years. It all depends on how many people are taxing the system and how gently you treat it (e.g. I don't use my garbage disposal, use only septic-safe cleaners and detergents, etc.).

Old 10-05-2016, 10:00 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Like Mels, we are a two adult household and pump out every three years. We have City Sewer to hook up to if needed. On the other hand, my buddy has two daughters and hasn't pumped his in over 15 years, and States as long as the system properly works as it should, pumping is not needed

Old 10-05-2016, 11:06 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender_blue View Post
I got a postcard in the mail that said it was time to clean our septic tank. We are on city septic (Newtown) and had the tank inspected before purchase (no issues.) The post card said last cleaning was in 2014. Do I need to have it cleaned again per the post card? I have no idea as I am not from here, did not grow up with septic and am generally clueless about septic systems.

Thank you!
I think it is pretty standard when you buy a home that the sellers should pay for the septic system to be pumped, unless it was pumped within the last 30 days or so before the home went under contract?

I think every three years is fine for a family of 2, 3 or 4. If you have a larger family, you might want to do it every other year.

If you have well water, that should be checked annually.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:59 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Like Mels, we are a two adult household and pump out every three years. We have City Sewer to hook up to if needed. On the other hand, my buddy has two daughters and hasn't pumped his in over 15 years, and States as long as the system properly works as it should, pumping is not needed
Tell your buddy he is an idiot. Once it starts giving you trouble it is too late and very expensive repairs will be needed. So you understand, a septic tank is where solids are settled out from the wastewater that you flush down the drain or toilet. The solids stay in the tank and the water flows into the leaching field which is just a series of underground pipes in your yard that distributes the water across the yard into the soil. IF you do not pump your tank regularly, the solids will pass through the tank and go out into the leaching field and clog the pipes in your yard and the soil around it. This is when the system fails and wastewater starts coming to the surface instead of draining down into the soil. When that happens the only fix is to dig up the field, replace all the pipes and all of the soil around those pipes. This will cost tens of thousands of dollars depending on the system, all because he was too cheap or lazy to spend a few hundred to have his tank pumped every couple of years. Definitely NOT worth it. Jay

Old 10-05-2016, 12:06 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

Thank you!
I am not sure what you mean by "city septic". Most septic tanks are owned by the homeowner, not the city. As others suggested you can call the town's Health Department and ask if they have a record of when the last time the tank was pumped. Or check with the company that did the inspection when you bought the home. I know you just moved in so if the tank was pumped recently there is no need to have it pumped again. Depending on your usage, every other year should be fine. Jay

Old 10-06-2016, 04:36 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
I am on town sewer and have never had a septic tank but do some town's do the pump out? I know in Branford the town does it for $25. I have been in town hall a lot lately as I am building a deck and there are always people in line in front of me scheduling a pump out by the town. They charge a $25 fee for the pump out.

Branford also doesn't charge any sewer usage rates based on water consumption. Its part of your property taxes.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:46 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:

Thank you!
With a Septic System, you need to be careful of what goes down the drain and into the system, such as Grease, Paint, and any sort of tissue / toilet paper that does not have "Septic Safe" labeled on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut