Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:46 AM

62 posts, read 69,702 times

Advertisements

We're spending Saturday & Sunday in the Hartford region looking at the communities for a possible move. Monday we're going down to Mystic for the day. Just wanted to see if people had any recommendations, places to eat, things to do, sites to see while we're down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 08:56 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Saturday is the Hartford Marathon so be aware that many streets downtown and in nearby communities (including East Hartford) will be closed . Check out the link below for street closures.

Road Closures / CT Transit

Where in the Hartford area are you going to be looking? I believe you were talking about working in East Hartford but am not sure what are you are looking at. Jay

Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,256 times
While in Mystic make sure to take a walk around the Stonington town.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:13 AM

62 posts, read 69,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Saturday is the Hartford Marathon so be aware that many streets downtown and in nearby communities (including East Hartford) will be closed . Check out the link below for street closures.

Road Closures / CT Transit

Where in the Hartford area are you going to be looking? I believe you were talking about working in East Hartford but am not sure what are you are looking at. Jay

Good to know. We're driving around with a real estate agent on Saturday afternoon. Shes taking us to W Hartford, Farmington, Avon . Other areas like Rocky Hill, Glastonbury, S Windsor we can look at ourselves Saturday morning or Sunday.

For the other portion we'll be around the city.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:16 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Since you'll be in Mystic, I would definitely check out Olde Mistick Village

Olde Mistick Village, Mystic, CT

If you're into sushi, try out The Pink Basil.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:10 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
If you have kids with you, consider checking out the CT Science Center on Sunday. The Children's Museum in W Hartford is also good, but a bit small/dark at first glance - don't let that scare you off.

Food really depends on where you will be. In Avon/Simsbury I like Plan B for pub food, Elephant Trail for Thai, Amici or Max a Mia for Italian. I've been to Maggie McFly's and Max Amore in G-bury and they're both fine but not particularly special IMO.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:49 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
If you are going to be in Glastonbury on Sunday, you might want to check out Roses Berry Farm. They serve breakfast on Sunday mornings that feature locally grown produce. You can also pick your own pumpkins or buy local produce. For great ice cream check out Robb's Farm. It is the absolute best. There is also the Old Cider Mill as well. They have local products and farm animals. Check out their websites below for information on things they have and their hours.

Breakfast

About Us - Riverview Farms - Glastonbury, CT

ROBBS Farm LLC - Home

Glastonbury has a lot of good restaurants as well. Depends what you like. For Asian food, try Charkoon in South Glastonbury. For Italian, try Bricco or Piatti. Plan B has great burgers. We also like Max Fish for seafood. J. Gilbert's has great steaks but the decor is nothing special. Another good place nearby is Shad Row on the Rocky Hill side of the historic Glastonbury/Rocky Hill Ferry. It is just a little shack with outdoor seating but the food is great. The only thing is they are seasonal and I am not sure they are still open. Jay

Old 10-09-2016, 06:05 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
I do not recommend Shad Row. I know people rave about it but service is spotty, and it's expensive for what you get. Food was average when we tried it, not on par with the cost at all. Prepare to wait 45 mins to an hour for take out food. I've read reviews where people have found them randomly closed on nice days so I doubt they're open this weekend anyway.

Compared to The Dock near Niantic, Shad Row should be burnt to the ground. The Dock is a shack with fantastic food, quick service and great prices.

Robbs DOES have the best ice cream.

Roses and Dondero - stupid expensive. I prefere Belltown, Draghi or Gotta's. Cider Mill is nice too. For a sit down breakfast, Ken's is still my favorite.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:10 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
If you have any interest in aviation or have children you might want to check out the New England Air Museum (which is near Bradley Airport).
https://www.neam.org/

Also there is the Mark Twain House in Hartford itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain_House

Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
If it wasn't raining today, I'd say go for a hike up to Heublein Tower on Avon Mountain or kayaking on the Farmington River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut