Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times

Advertisements

This is our issue. Whenever a budget doesn't meet up, the option isn't to raise taxes like what Bob said the answer is to control the budget. The reason why the budget isn't in the black is because people and businesses have moved out mostly likely because of the tax climate. This was the same issue with Detroit. When people moved out, their government raised taxes since tax revenue was down, and they kept doing it until they completely lost their tax base. Has anyone learned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 04:52 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
CT raises taxes. Trade deals cause business to leave the US. Growth of new blue collar jobs. Issues occur in the market. Businesses leave CT and US for countries with lower taxes. Low income jobs rise in CT. Loss of revenue in the State/over spending/increase in government dependency due to low income jobs/high cost of living drains the State budget. Taxes increase again.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:46 PM

24 posts, read 35,956 times
Trumbull's mill rate went down and Tim Herbst didn't issue a press release and run a full page ad in the Trumbull Times? Go figure.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:49 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I find myself in not so happy position having moved here from North FL after 25 years,because of age and family.
I had $72,000 in exemptions and no taxes,only fire and rubbish.
There are no exemptions here,if you were to get any they would lein your property,exception,Windsor and Windsor Locks.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:47 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Places like Hartford and Waterbury aren't 'high tax' they're just low property value. Simple math means getting to the same baseline level of services means higher mill rates. Amount of commercial property does come into it but if you were to adjust for that I'm sure the towns in order of mill rate is almost identical to the towns in order of median home value.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Rocky Hill had a reval in 2014.

I have said this before, but mill rates don't mean much. It's just one side of an equation. The towns/cities know how much money they need to run the Govt. If the revals are lowered then the mill rates go up. If the revals are increased the mill rates go down.

Govts look at the "Grand list" town/city wide. If you read your town's budget they usually say things like "The towns grand list decreased or increased %" over last year. They adjust the equation accordingly to meet their budget number.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidatious View Post
Trumbull's mill rate went down and Tim Herbst didn't issue a press release and run a full page ad in the Trumbull Times? Go figure.
I am from Trumbull and Herbst did advertise the fact the mill rate was going down. He is responsible for turning things around. I almost fell on the floor when I got my mortgage payment and it went down $30 a month.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:44 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Wow Naugy and New Britain are high as well. A lot of this is due to the cap on car taxes. Less property owners more renters. Probably will balance out sort of higher rent low paying jobs. Will be interesting. State and cities need to figure a solution out quick.
NO ****!!!! I was not the only one to say that when people were hoping that cap would go through. That was such a bad idea. Taxes were going to go up for homeowners and businesses. The towns want their money and they don't care how they get it. Now it's not coming from cars. Expect rents to go up when the assessments shake out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This was the same issue with Detroit. When people moved out, their government raised taxes since tax revenue was down, and they kept doing it until they completely lost their tax base. Has anyone learned?
They will never learn

East Hartford is doing assessments now, not sure when they will go into affect. Maybe 2017.

On that note, how many of you let assessors into your house?

Old 10-23-2016, 10:32 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Wasn't to shocked with Waterbury. They've been saying since the cap went through there will be no way to get over how much in the red they'll be without paying taxes.

The issue with low property in high tax cities raises a lot of issues. Because most people can't afford to own the house and pay taxes in these cities. Can't afford housing in neighboring towns with high property cost. Then add in very little affordable housing options.

Last edited by RunD1987; 10-23-2016 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 05:19 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
Can't wait to see what is going to happen in Bethel. They kept putting a new Police Station to a vote till it passed, basically making the taxpayer cry "Uncle"....and already 1.5 million over budget, and I don't even think a shovel hit dirt yet. Also talking $80, 000,000 + in school projects, and a revaluation in 2017.....we're gonna get killed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut