Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually the majority of Fairfield County is significantly more expensive than anywhere in the Hartford metro. Even the more affordable, outer ring burbs like Ridgefield, Redding, Trumbull, Easton, etc require a much higher entry fee than Hartford's most desirable burbs.

Interesting that you claim to know so little about the area of CT you grew up in - so little that you have to rent before you buy, yet you're now an expert on Fairfield County demographics.

I've been suspicious of your posts ever since the "300-450" request - because those numbers just don't make sense. Now, I'm fairly certain you're not coming here for Hartford area assistance.
Who knows what anyone's motivations are here. You just have to take things at face value unless it's obvious we're being mislead or trolled.

I did wonder about the lack of knowledge of the area but why are your alarm bells going off on the poster's 300k-450k range? As already agreed, the low end of this is at the median home price for WH and she's looking for a modest 3-4 bedroom home. She's also coming from a 1500 sq ft outdated home in a less desireable area. In WH, around 300k should easily get you 1600-1800 sq ft close to the center and either totally renovated or significantly renovated depending on how close to or larger than 2000 sf you get. And 450k will open up just about all options except for the very large (5000-6000 sf + newer homes in certain developments or old mansions). So her numbers make perfect sense to me.

This article illustrates a lot of these points using a rather sad example of what looks like a beautiful (some may even say 'special') home in the wonderful old center area of WH.

The Long Road Back For Connecticut's Housing Market - Hartford Courant

In most metro areas of the US that aren't in depression, people would be lining up out the door to outbid each other for homes in established old neighborhoods like this and will happily buy them as-is and do all the updating themselves (or knock it down and rebuild). Not so in WH where buyers can expect homes on the market that have been well prepped for sale with renovation and updating, very light competition even for the best homes, and a very strong buyer bargaining position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 07:04 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Who knows what anyone's motivations are here. You just have to take things at face value unless it's obvious we're being mislead or trolled.

I did wonder about the lack of knowledge of the area but why are your alarm bells going off on the poster's 300k-450k range? As already agreed, the low end of this is at the median home price for WH and she's looking for a modest 3-4 bedroom home. She's also coming from a 1500 sq ft outdated home in a less desireable area. In WH, around 300k should easily get you 1600-1800 sq ft close to the center and either totally renovated or significantly renovated depending on how close to or larger than 2000 sf you get. And 450k will open up just about all options except for the very large (5000-6000 sf + newer homes in certain developments or old mansions). So her numbers make perfect sense to me.

This article illustrates a lot of these points using a rather sad example of what looks like a beautiful (some may even say 'special') home in the wonderful old center area of WH.

In most metro areas of the US that aren't in depression, people would be lining up out the door to outbid each other for homes in established old neighborhoods like this and will happily buy them as-is and do all the updating themselves (or knock it down and rebuild). Not so in WH where buyers can expect homes on the market that have been well prepped for sale with renovation and updating, very light competition even for the best homes, and a very strong buyer bargaining position.
Your vehement defense of this poster is equally suspicious.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:07 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberberry View Post
I haven't made my way to Middletown to check it out but it's on my list, thanks! What I love about Northampton, MA is you can wear whatever you want, dye your hair whatever color, drive a lemon, and other people will give zero ****s. I'm hearing the closest to Northampton is West Hartford but the impression from what I've seen is people will judge and pass you by in their BMW's, Mercedes, and Louis Vuitton bags. I REALLY want to find a place in CT where people are so chill like Northampton but it's a lot harder than I thought I'd be.
Check out Branford. I go to Branford quite often in the nicer weather. It has a laid back beach vibe. There is an art center in Guilford and a smaller new one in Branford. When I go to the art/music festivals in Branford and Guilford a lot of the artists tell me they live on the shoreline east of New Haven and there are a good amount that tell me they live in Branford. It looks like it would take an hour to your job though.

I live in Fairfield County so I have never been to West Hartford. I am woefully ignorant about most of my state outside of Fairfield County and our CT coastal towns. I looked up West Hartford's HH income and it is $80,000 and the average house is $290,000 so I am surprised that you would feel pretension there. I always got the impression that West Hartford might be a place that I would enjoy by the other posters comments about it.

Maybe some other posters that have been to both West Hartford and Branford can tell you about the differences and if I am right about my thinking you might like it there.

BTW, I am looking for the same town as you in CT so if you ever find it please let me know.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 7,790 times
lol - WHOA! Why on earth would I even bother posting here if not for assistance? Literally what purpose would that have? Are there really people out there who get their rocks off trolling members of a Connecticut discussion board?

I think there's a huge difference between growing up somewhere and moving as an adult. As a teenager in Glastonbury and college student at UConn, I was never thinking about what I would look for as someone moving back in my early 30's, with a professional career, money in the bank, and a young child. I don't think that's so strange? When I left CT, construction on Blue Back Square was only just beginning, so as you can imagine the area has changed quite a lot in the past 10 years. Jumping into a home purchase seems exceedingly silly - it's a large purchase to make a mistake on, and I'm hoping the next home we buy will be somewhere we can enjoy for a very long time.

As I've explained and as other people seem to understand, the 300-450 range seems like a realistic range for somewhere like West Hartford or Glastonbury. It's really just a matter of personally deciding whether we want something on the lower end of that range with more compromises (smaller, renovations needed, less desirable location), or more expensive with all the bells and whistles. I am a huge fan of historic older homes with charm, and want something on the smaller end, so this seems like a realistic budget.

Anyway, not quite sure why I'm defending myself, and I'm honestly very grateful for all the wonderful advice I've received so far and the friendly members of this board! If anyone has any doubts about my identity or motivations, I'm more than happy to share more personal details in a private message. I'm excited to move back to Connecticut and explore.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:

That's funny - I zillow stalked the home mentioned in the article, and I guess I had added it as a favorite some time ago when I was browsing CT homes (590 Park Road, if anyone wants to peek). It is a lovely home, with what look like some compromises, so a really perfect example of what I had in mind for a $300k-ish home in WH. Also a great example of why I don't want to rush into a purchase - it seems like houses in central CT aren't always easy to unload. I know some people don't want to hear comparisons to other markets, but in LA the housing market rebounded dramatically between 2011 and 2015. This article seems to indicate the same is not true of Central CT (at least not as of a year ago).

Old 12-23-2016, 11:38 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElALady View Post
That's funny - I zillow stalked the home mentioned in the article, and I guess I had added it as a favorite some time ago when I was browsing CT homes (590 Park Road, if anyone wants to peek). It is a lovely home, with what look like some compromises, so a really perfect example of what I had in mind for a $300k-ish home in WH. Also a great example of why I don't want to rush into a purchase - it seems like houses in central CT aren't always easy to unload. I know some people don't want to hear comparisons to other markets, but in LA the housing market rebounded dramatically between 2011 and 2015. This article seems to indicate the same is not true of Central CT (at least not as of a year ago).
As one who is a Seller in the current market (per the not-so-subtle hint I gave in an earlier post!), I would agree with this statement. We too are listing well below our purchase price (which was in 2007). It's definitely a Buyers' market right now.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
As one who is a Seller in the current market (per the not-so-subtle hint I gave in an earlier post!), I would agree with this statement. We too are listing well below our purchase price (which was in 2007). It's definitely a Buyers' market right now.
Best of luck! Where are you moving to, if you don't mind sharing?

Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElALady View Post
Best of luck! Where are you moving to, if you don't mind sharing?
Boston area. Where, believe me, it's a Sellers' market big time--multiple bids over asking price, cash offers, you name it. Thanks for the wishes!

Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:

Dumb move. What was the point, weren't even moving out of state.
Hope they go under in the next one too. Watching too much House Hunters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut