Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 PM

712 posts, read 526,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
First, why do you think Bethel has subpar schools? They are as good as Monroe IMHO and I would not hesitate to send my kids to them. So you know though, trains from Bethel to Stamford are limited so check Metro North's schedule to be sure it would work for you.

I am also not sure what you mean by wanting a "big buffer" from crime. If you mean not bordering a city that has typical urban issues, you would then be eliminating some of the most beautiful and desirable communities in the country. Keep in mind that highly desirable and very safe towns like Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Westport, Wilton and Weston all border cities and I do not see people with a lot bigger budgets than yours shying away from them. My family has lived in Fairfield for 100 years and except for a bicycle being taken from the garage, they have NEVER had a problem with crime. Also, what town with high crime are you trying to avoid in Milford? IT does not border New Haven or Bridgeport so I am confused about your concerns.

I do agree with the others that with your budget, you are going to have to compromise. IT is your choice what is more important, commuting distance or the perception of issues (crime, schools) that are not exactly real. Jay
Agreed

OP sounds like they are looking for something that doesn't exist. For example even in the best school districts in the most expensive towns they have drug problems and crime can happen anywhere. What are European american values? Is that code for no minorities/big buffer zone from minorities?

Also, this obsession with the "best school districts" is ridiculous. It doesn't matter what others are scoring on standardized test. If anything you are better off with your child's peers being less obsessed with getting straight A's since it will make your own child stand out academically. It's like going to Berkeley when you want to apply to md school. Much better off at an average college so you can get better grades to apply to md school.

As long as the public school is SAFE then it's fine. You simply want to avoid inner city schools like Brideport/hartford ect.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:49 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,049,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Agreed

OP sounds like they are looking for something that doesn't exist. For example even in the best school districts in the most expensive towns they have drug problems and crime can happen anywhere. What are European american values? Is that code for no minorities/big buffer zone from minorities?

Also, this obsession with the "best school districts" is ridiculous. It doesn't matter what others are scoring on standardized test. If anything you are better off with your child's peers being less obsessed with getting straight A's since it will make your own child stand out academically. It's like going to Berkeley when you want to apply to md school. Much better off at an average college so you can get better grades to apply to md school.

As long as the public school is SAFE then it's fine. You simply want to avoid inner city schools like Brideport/hartford ect.
Yes, crime can happen anywhere. However, rates are much higher in certain towns than others. This is nothing new.

The OP said they are looking for a buffer from crime, which you can't fault them for. They said nothing about "minorities". Stop trying to create an issue where there isn't one.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM

712 posts, read 526,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yes, crime can happen anywhere. However, rates are much higher in certain towns than others. This is nothing new.

The OP said they are looking for a buffer from crime, which you can't fault them for. They said nothing about "minorities". Stop trying to create an issue where there isn't one.
The difference in crime rates between most small suburban towns is negligible. The difference between a lot of cities and towns is huge.

I apologize, but maybe you can elucidate what is meant by "American European values"?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM

14,015 posts, read 13,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
The difference in crime rates between most small suburban towns is negligible. The difference between a lot of cities and towns is huge.

I apologize, but maybe you can elucidate what is meant by "American European values"?
I want to know too American European values

Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,164,159 times
Quote:

The OP said they are looking for a buffer from crime, which you can't fault them for.
I know lots and lots of law abiding european americans and other cultures who live a prefectly free from crime life in SW CT without having to move to far out buffer zones. But if that's what floats their boat, go for it.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,164,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Keep in mind that highly desirable and very safe towns like Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Westport, Wilton and Weston all border cities and I do not see people with a lot bigger budgets than yours shying away from them. My family has lived in Fairfield for 100 years and except for a bicycle being taken from the garage, they have NEVER had a problem with crime.
yeah, but their not like real cities. Westport,Wilton, and New Canaan are not even remotely close to any high crime areas and Weston doesn't border any city not that it matters.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,882,385 times
Quote:
Wrong thread. This guy can't spend anymore than $325k.
Oops...I got confused with the family who is moving from India, I think...

Old 12-14-2016, 04:11 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,851,236 times
Can you even afford taxes on the 325k house?? Along with car taxes ect

Old 12-14-2016, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 43,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I want to know too American European values
Low crime, high trust societies, protestant work ethic, high value placed on education, low time preference economics, high value placed on the arts/classical music, wildlife and land preservation, small government politics. Every culture is different. To each their own but I prefer living among European Americans. I am surprised you aren't familiar with European American values since they are what made the US so great.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:25 PM

1,928 posts, read 2,026,996 times
A bunch of the lower cost houses in Monroe are adjacent to busy roads - is that going to be acceptable for a large family? 325K is more on point in Bethel and would yield a better lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut