Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
LE hates calls that end up being law abiding citizens. We deal with that out here all the time. Some city dweller sees a gun or hears shots and calls the Sheriff. I'm surprised they even go out to the calls but they must have to. It's a ten second conversation but it takes time, fuel and tax dollars to get LE out to the sticks.
Without getting into the politics of it, LE does not "hate" those calls. I'm not sure what goes on in San Diego, but in CT, you'd be amazed at how often LE responds to those complaints, only to find citizens illegally shooting in their small backyard, in the direction of a dangerous landscape (usually rocks), and often while under the influence of alcohol. This happens in suburbs that are not considered "the sticks".

So to the OP, if you hear a gunshot, report it. You are not "harassing people". It has a significant chance of being the above scenario. LE would gladly investigate it - after all, that's what they're paid to do.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:05 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Reporting a possible gun shot is not "harassing people"....
It is when you don't even know what is or is not a hunting area or what is/is not hunting season. If I just shot a dear in sanctioned zone during legal season id be pretty irritated if someone called the cops on me and spooked the dying dear out of its bed. Now you have pissed off hunter(s) and a dear that will endure more pain for no reason and likely never be recovered. Wasted life. Ignorance is no reason to call the cops.

Now that he knows it's a no hunting area, he can make judgement call next time he goes for a run on whether that sound came from forest or nearby dude test driving his new Christmas toy in the backyard.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 12-29-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Without getting into the politics of it, LE does not "hate" those calls. I'm not sure what goes on in San Diego, but in CT, you'd be amazed at how often LE responds to those complaints, only to find citizens illegally shooting in their small backyard, in the direction of a dangerous landscape (usually rocks), and often while under the influence of alcohol. This happens in suburbs that are not considered "the sticks".

So to the OP, if you hear a gunshot, report it. You are not "harassing people". It has a significant chance of being the above scenario. LE would gladly investigate it - after all, that's what they're paid to do.
Completely baseless assertion predicated on what I'm not even sure. I know for fact you have no stats to back that statement. In my experience, the opposite has been the case-most shooting responsibly or hunting legally and getting cops called on them by people who don't even know hunting is legal on state land or that target shooting is completely legal on private land, etc. Also not facts, but that's how the "I know a guy" game works. If someone hears a gunshot outside of Hartford or Bridgeport and the first thing they think of is murder or redbecks shooting...rocks(?) then I'd say that person watches too many movies and/or Tosh.0

Old 12-29-2016, 03:38 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Running at Hop Brook in Naugatuck. The years I've run there never really notice any hunters and always thought it was off limit to hunters. I believe it is not 100% sure open to bow hunting for turkey's.

Anyways long story short running in the park around 1600 today heard a gunshot around 1620, with a 5 second echo. The 2nd gunshot was around 1630-1635, with a 2 second echo. Using calculations online the distance was close to .3 miles away. This was in a residential neighborhood.

Two questions...should I report it and to whom? By the time I do the people will probably be long gone.

Second question since it's off park property are people allowed to hunt on public land?

Appreciate the feedback.
One gunshot a half a mile away in the woods? whats the big deal.
I've heard plenty of gunfire in not such cozy settings (and not in Bport or New Haven either).
Finish the hike and move on with life.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Completely baseless assertion predicated on what I'm not even sure. I know for fact you have no stats to back that statement. In my experience, the opposite has been the case-most shooting responsibly or hunting legally and getting cops called on them by people who don't even know hunting is legal on state land or that target shooting is completely legal on private land, etc. Also not facts, but that's how the "I know a guy" game works. If someone hears a gunshot outside of Hartford or Bridgeport and the first thing they think of is murder or redbecks shooting...rocks(?) then I'd say that person watches too many movies and/or Tosh.0
It's actually not a baseless assertion and I can tell you this firsthand. Shooting is legal on private land with limitations (feet from occupied dwelling, etc). The amount of people who don't know this and recklessly "target practice" in neighborhoods is close to half of all gunshot calls (with the rest being fireworks and a small fraction being legal ranges and/or hunters). This is fact. Not opinion. FOI your local police department logs - you'll likely see a similar trend.

If you want to go on believing anyone with a gun in their hand has good intentions/is behaving responsibly, go ahead, but it's far from the truth. I say this as a responsible gun owner, and without any political bias.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It's actually not a baseless assertion and I can tell you this firsthand. Shooting is legal on private land with limitations (feet from occupied dwelling, etc). The amount of people who don't know this and recklessly "target practice" in neighborhoods is close to half of all gunshot calls (with the rest being fireworks and a small fraction being legal ranges and/or hunters). This is fact. Not opinion. FOI your local police department logs - you'll likely see a similar trend.

If you want to go on believing anyone with a gun in their hand has good intentions/is behaving responsibly, go ahead, but it's far from the truth. I say this as a responsible gun owner, and without any political bias.
Well, the thing is, I'm not about to submit FOIL requests to every town in the state of CT to spend weeks analyzing reams of paper and running Fisher exact tests to make a point on the interwebz. And you know as well as I do that you didn't either. All I'm doing is dismissing your claim that's either based on personal experience (of which mine has been the opposite) or completely made up. I have made no political statements, only questioned the evidence of your claim.

I don't "believe" anything other than the notion that your claim is based on a personal experience, 4th hand husbands tale, completely made up or "from my buddy's cousin whose a cop in town x said...".

And brush up on the firearm discharge laws because your inaccurate there as well. Barring a specifically outlined town ordinance, there is no "feet from occupation " limit . That language is specific to HUNTING and does NOT apply to target shooting, unless a coyote happens to jump in front of your target...that would be difficult to prove your innocence on.

I chose to educate OP so he can make a more informed decision should he find himself in similar situation. You chose to fear monger and promote unconditionally wasting police time. I say this as a "guy who can smell BS and would rather encourage people to learn", ...and without any political bias...

Last edited by Sigequinox; 12-29-2016 at 06:29 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Well, the thing is, I'm not about to submit FOIL requests to every town in the state of CT to spend weeks analyzing reams of paper and running Fisher exact tests to make a point on the interwebz. And you know as well as I do that you didn't either. All I'm doing is dismissing your claim that's either based on personal experience (of which mine has been the opposite) or completely made up. I have made no political statements, only questioned the evidence of your claim.

I don't "believe" anything other than the notion that your claim is based on a personal experience, 4th hand husbands tale, completely made up or "from my buddy's cousin whose a cop in town x said...".

And brush up on the firearm discharge laws because your inaccurate there as well. Barring a specifically outlined town ordinance, there is no "feet from occupation " limit . That language is specific to HUNTING and does NOT apply to target shooting, unless a coyote happens to jump in front of your target...that would be difficult to prove your innocence on.
First of all, as I said, it's firsthand experience. Unless you're a law enforcement officer, your experience is invalid, because when someone calls about gunshots, they're not calling Joe the plumber. I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest, but I'll say again if you think every person - permitted or not - with a gun in their hand is acting responsibly, you are jaded at best.

Re: laws, hunting laws prohibit carrying a loaded firearm within a certain distance of an occupied dwelling. The majority of Connecticut municipalities have ordinances in place, most of which mirror hunting guidelines. Additionally, if a gun is discharged in a manner to endanger a person, domestic animal or cause destruction of property, a person can absolutely be charged with unlawful discharge. Guess what the state police use as a guideline when determining "endangering"? Hunting laws.

You seem to be knowledgeable about a lot of things, but when it comes to this, you don't seem to grasp reality.

Knowing your posting history here, I don't agree you're posting without political bias. And I stand by my suggestion to contact the police if the OP hears what he believes to be gunshots. It's not "fear mongering". It's common sense.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
First of all, as I said, it's firsthand experience. Unless you're a law enforcement officer, your experience is invalid, because when someone calls about gunshots, they're not calling Joe the plumber. I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest, but I'll say again if you think every person - permitted or not - with a gun in their hand is acting responsibly, you are jaded at best.

Re: laws, hunting laws prohibit carrying a loaded firearm within a certain distance of an occupied dwelling. The majority of Connecticut municipalities have ordinances in place, most of which mirror hunting guidelines. Additionally, if a gun is discharged in a manner to endanger a person, domestic animal or cause destruction of property, a person can absolutely be charged with unlawful discharge. Guess what the state police use as a guideline when determining "endangering"? Hunting laws.

You seem to be knowledgeable about a lot of things, but when it comes to this, you don't seem to grasp reality.

Knowing your posting history here, I don't agree you're posting without political bias. And I stand by my suggestion to contact the police if the OP hears what he believes to be gunshots. It's not "fear mongering". It's common sense.
Yeah, I never said that. It was You who decided to quote "most" gun shots blah blah. All I did was dismiss it as pure rubbish, which it is. I don't know what social circles you're in, but my "first hand experience" is with people who generally understand solid metal traveling at 1500+ ft/sec is quite damaging to living creatures. The concept of of being removed from their families, ending their careers, and getting pounded in the butt for involuntary manslauggter typically scares them as well. But maybe "most people" like that stuff, I dunno. Not asking for a pissing contest, just for you to substantiate the cathartic rambling with something more...acceptable, than self proclamations of non-partisanship and "first hand experience", both of which are meaningless. That's not too much to ask given the boldness of your statement, unless of course your "first hand experience" is being a state attorney representing townships in local ordinance cases. And if that were the case, you should have just said so.

Majority of towns in CT impose hunting-esque ordinances that reflect state laws on discharging a firearm during the act of taken game animals. I didn't know that. Where do you find the time to read so many town ordinances? Oh, are you making stuff up again? More "first hand experience"? I'm trying to follow your argument here, but you go into destruction of people pets and property and so now I'm really lost. Are you now implying that armed malicious individuals committing felonies represents most "gun shots heard in the woods"? If not, I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.
Also not sure why police would be interpreting laws, since they have no legal authority to do so, much less to extrapolate the meaning of terms based on usage in unrelated code. So unless you can tell me what the state court judges use to benchmark "endanger", then just more dribble....

Interesting you say I don't know anything here. I am no lawyer, but I actually DID research state laws and spent months sifting through different town ordinances when home buying as shooting on my land was high on the list of desirables. So while I did not research "all" towns, I did research a dozen or so, which is a dozen more than you. I now live in a town where I can and do shoot and so am very careful to remain competent on the topic. I am certain that you have not actually read a word, state or town. Not sure if you are just making up or "heard from my LE neighbor", but from what you've said know for fact you never read the language from state or local documents.

Again, quote when I injected any politics into this thread...right. I replied to this thread to inform the OP, because it's a topic I ACTUALLY do know a bit about. So until you read the codes, start hunting, shooting on private land and know what gunshots sound like in a forest, please do OP a favor and stop misinforming him. And don't needlessly send our brave men and women in blue to the epicenter of gunfire for no good reason. Most people shooting cans on their multi acre lot are NOT expecting people to pop up out of nowhere. No stats to back up last statement, so Chalk it up to "first hand experience."

Last edited by Sigequinox; 12-29-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I never said that. It was You who decided to quote "most" gun shots blah blah. All I did was dismiss it as pure rubbish, which it is. I don't know what social circles you're in, but my "first hand experience" is with people who generally understand solid metal traveling at 1500+ ft/sec is quite damaging to living creatures. The concept of of being removed from their families, ending their careers, and getting pounded in the butt for involuntary manslauggter typically scares them as well. But maybe "most people" like that stuff, I dunno. Not asking for a pissing contest, just for you to substantiate the cathartic rambling with something more...acceptable, than self proclamations of non-partisanship and "first hand experience", both of which are meaningless. That's not too much to ask given the boldness of your statement, unless of course your "first hand experience" is being a state attorney representing townships in local ordinance cases. And if that were the case, you should have just said so.

Majority of towns in CT impose hunting-esque ordinances that reflect state laws on discharging a firearm during the act of taken game animals. I didn't know that. Where do you find the time to read so many town ordinances? Oh, are you making stuff up again? More "first hand experience"? I'm trying to follow your argument here, but you go into destruction of people pets and property and so now I'm really lost. Are you now implying that armed malicious individuals committing felonies represents most "gun shots heard in the woods"? If not, I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.
Also not sure why police would be interpreting laws, since they have no legal authority to do so, much less to extrapolate the meaning of terms based on usage in unrelated code. So unless you can tell me what the state court judges use to benchmark "endanger", then just more dribble....

Interesting you say I don't know anything here. I am no lawyer, but I actually DID research state laws and spent months sifting through different town ordinances when home buying as shooting on my land was high on the list of desirables. So while I did not research "all" towns, I did research a dozen or so, which is a dozen more than you. I now live in a town where I can and do shoot and so am very careful to remain competent on the topic. I am certain that you have not actually read a word, state or town. Not sure if you are just making up or "heard from my LE neighbor", but from what you've said know for fact you never read the language from state or local documents.

Again, quote when I injected any politics into this thread...right. I replied to this thread to inform the OP, because it's a topic I ACTUALLY do know a bit about. So until you read the codes, start hunting, shooting on private land and know what gunshots sound like in a forest, please do OP a favor and stop misinforming him. And don't needlessly send our brave men and women in blue to the epicenter of gunfire for no good reason. Most people shooting cans on their multi acre lot are NOT expecting people to pop up out of nowhere. No stats to back up last statement, so Chalk it up to "first hand experience."
This makes me laugh - really, it does. A few other forum members who know me personally are likely chuckling as well.

I'm familiar, and regularly work with ordinances in 30 communities - rural, suburban and urban - in western Connecticut. Most have ordinances covering the above. I can't help it if you're not feeling up to researching statistics by contacting your police department to review logs regarding complaints of gunshots. But I'll say this - if you're too lazy to do that, don't make claims to the contrary. Frankly, I wish you'd look them up because you'd certainly be inserting foot in mouth.

Anyway, I can see I've struck a nerve and I don't wish to have a discussion with someone who shows ignorance on an issue, that's otherwise resolved by using common sense, because of their own extreme [confirmation] biases.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:

Not to burst you're bubble , but the person you're debating with is actual "LE"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut