Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:50 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,006,226 times

Advertisements

I finally have made a decision to get a home defense weapon. Im going with a shotgun first. Anyone here go through all the procedures to do this since the new law took effect? How tedious was it? Im still reading up trying to figure out what exactly I have to do to be able to purchase a shotgun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,401,475 times
Ive had handgun license which supersedes w/e nonsense permits CT implemented since the new legislation. So not familiar at all. Sorry dude.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:25 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,006,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Ive had handgun license which supersedes w/e nonsense permits CT implemented since the new legislation. So not familiar at all. Sorry dude.
Maybe I should just go that route since it appears, unless im wrong, that if I get that it will cover everything. But I have to imagine its a tedious process.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:08 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,493,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I finally have made a decision to get a home defense weapon. Im going with a shotgun first. Anyone here go through all the procedures to do this since the new law took effect? How tedious was it? Im still reading up trying to figure out what exactly I have to do to be able to purchase a shotgun.
Get a pistol permit and it covers everything. The long gun certificate is basically the same requirements so you might as well get your pistol permit.

With a pistol permit you can: Purchase and carry a handgun, purchase a long gun, and purchase ammunition. No waiting period on the spot.

You need to do an 8 hour safety course and then apply with your local police department which requires background checks, fingerprinting, etc. By law they have 60 days to approve or deny it. It really depends on the town/city. I have heard that that the cities drag their feet on approving them. My town was quick.

Last edited by Brian26; 12-31-2016 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Forgot to add and I don't suggest this but you can buy a rifle/shotgun in Vermont or New Hampshire with no waiting period even as an out of state resident on the spot. The issue is transporting it through Massachusetts where it's a serious felony if caught.

The permits in CT for guns are more for transporting them or carrying them outside your home. You can legally posses any gun in your house with no permits.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,202,041 times
Quote:
Maybe I should just go that route since it appears, unless im wrong, that if I get that it will cover everything. But I have to imagine its a tedious process.
It's tedious but not horrible. I took the NRA class in New Milford (it's both in class instruction and then a field trip over to Shooters pistol range (also in New Milford -- just down the road from the classroom instruction) followed by an open book test). Then a visit to your local police department for the application. Completed application , NRA certificate and 2 character reference letters (*note I had to submit 2 character references in New Fairfield, but my friend who lives in Sherman and who took the class with me, did not. We both live in Resident State Trooper towns, so I never understood why the discrepancy, but the requirements were slightly different.)

Old 12-31-2016, 09:14 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,455,808 times
I actually have my Long Permit (prob one of the few based on the comments I get when I buy ammo/rifles/shotguns). I'm not a handgun fan so I opt'd for my long gun permit only. I've had my permit since 2014. The good thing about the long gun permit class is that it was free through CT DEEP.

What I did was sign up for a long gun class through DEEP website. (http://www.ct.gov/deep). Prob is that they are not available during the winter so you'll have to wait until the spring time. They update the site quite often and are very helpful if you email/call. I did the self study portion because it was the only one available at the time.

For the self study is you take the 8-hour course at home with test at the end of each section. Once completed you print out the results and bring them to the Range Day that is scheduled. The Range Day is 8 hour class (also free) where you shoot rifles and shotguns and they go over a couple more items related to safety. Once that is complete, I went to the State Police in Middletown where they did my fingerprints, background checks and photo. After that is complete, it took about 3 weeks to get my license in the mail.

My brother did the pistol course and it costs money, requires 3 recommendation letters (I live in Southington) and a class. I would say if you someday want to buy a pistol go for the class so it includes everything. If you want to just own a shotgun and a couple rifles the long gun permit is all you need.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,191,634 times
Interesting. In Arizona:

Walk into gun store
Pick out pistol/rifle/shotgun
Show ID/clerk does background check
Background check OK? Pay for gun
Walk out of store with gun

Presumably Connecticut was once this way?

Old 12-31-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Interesting. In Arizona:

Walk into gun store
Pick out pistol/rifle/shotgun
Show ID/clerk does background check
Background check OK? Pay for gun
Walk out of store with gun

Presumably Connecticut was once this way?
Vermont still is. Literally zero gun laws. With all the the permits/restrictions in CT. One can still just drive up to Vermont and purchase just about any rifle/shotgun on the spot.

The state neither issues nor requires a permit to carry a weapon on one's person, openly or concealed. This permissive stance on gun control is known in the U.S. as Constitutional carry, since one's "permit" is said to be the constitution. Vermont is the only state where this has always been the case (hence the alternative term Vermont carry[2]). Vermont law does not distinguish between residents and non-residents of the state; both have the same right to carry permit-free while in Vermont.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Vermont

Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
It's tedious but not horrible. I took the NRA class in New Milford (it's both in class instruction and then a field trip over to Shooters pistol range (also in New Milford -- just down the road from the classroom instruction) followed by an open book test). Then a visit to your local police department for the application. Completed application , NRA certificate and 2 character reference letters (*note I had to submit 2 character references in New Fairfield, but my friend who lives in Sherman and who took the class with me, did not. We both live in Resident State Trooper towns, so I never understood why the discrepancy, but the requirements were slightly different.)

I got my permit over 10 years ago when I lived in Wallingford. Are they now requiring character references? Back then that was not a requirement but maybe things have changed now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut