Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

Currently in Albany and job relocation possible in Stamford, Ct, Providence, or Derry, NH.

Considering CT as I have a daughter who will be in college in New London. Looking for safe, lower tax towns on a budget. The coming train line from New Haven to Springfield looks interesting. I used to live in NYC and am a fan of public transportation. Would rather somewhere not too isolated. Close to coast and/or bicycling and rail trails would be nice. Thanks for any suggestions of towns to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:31 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
I'll let the FFC experts weigh in, but I don't think you'll find anything under $250K near Stamford. Of the 3 options, you're best off looking near Providence. Shortest drive to New London by far, and Providence is a great city.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castielah View Post
Currently in Albany and job relocation possible in Stamford, Ct, Providence, or Derry, NH.

Considering CT as I have a daughter who will be in college in New London. Looking for safe, lower tax towns on a budget. The coming train line from New Haven to Springfield looks interesting. I used to live in NYC and am a fan of public transportation. Would rather somewhere not too isolated. Close to coast and/or bicycling and rail trails would be nice. Thanks for any suggestions of towns to consider.
Stamford is one of the most expensive parts of the country. $250,000 will not go far anywhere near there. A lot will depend what you expect for your money and what you consider to be low taxes. Fairfield is the first town that is somewhat affordable. Though in your price range you wiould likely only get a very modest home in need of work or a modest condo. You might want to look in a town like Stratford or Milford where you can get more for your money. But then you are further from Stamford.

I am not sure why you are interested in the towns along the New Haven Hartford Springfield line. They are pretty far from Stamford so I would not consider them. Overall you would be better off with the jobs in Providence or NH. Homes there are more affordable. Unless of course the job in Stamford pays more or offers a better career move. Jay

Old 01-08-2017, 02:47 PM

Thank you for the replies. The job pays the same in either location and no difference career-wise. I work in healthcare, so more healthcare facilities in the vicinity is always good. There's also a Boston position.

The other consideration is that my daughter will drive to visit her father and rest of her family near Woodstock, NY. I don't want be a long trip in the opposite direction for her, which makes NH a question. Otherwise, I would definitely look there. The Providence metro seems to make some sense. Will also post this on the RI forum. Planning a road trip through New England in the next couple months, so any suggestions on towns and commutes are welcome!

Last edited by Castielah; 01-08-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 05:54 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
If the job is near the train station in Stamford, you could easily find a home in your budget in either Stratford or Milford and have a relatively short train commute. Both are great communities with a lot of amenities, with Milford getting the edge on parks, things to do, shopping, and schools. Stratford is a bit more affordable, but taxes are higher.

As others said, Albany and Providence are markedly cheaper areas, but there's lots more to consider in a place to live than affordability. That's the truth, despite the fact that so many here will quickly push to the cheapest area without any consideration of other factors.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If the job is near the train station in Stamford, you could easily find a home in your budget in either Stratford or Milford and have a relatively short train commute. Both are great communities with a lot of amenities, with Milford getting the edge on parks, things to do, shopping, and schools. Stratford is a bit more affordable, but taxes are higher.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times
Why the hell would a single empty nester want to put up with a miserable commute to Stamford everyday from the far east.

There are a decent amount of 2 br condos available in that price range in Stamford, and some even in Norwalk and Fairfield, though I think even Fairfield gets to be too far out. All three have lower mill rates (25ish) than most of the rest of the state except far a couple of nearby niche market wealthy towns. Fairfield will however approach 30 mills in the coming years.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM

Good posts, Stylo, and Raider111. I'm not at all ready to rule out CT, so getting some different ideas on how to make it work are really helpful.

Looking at real estate online, most homes in the $250K range look the same (older, need some TLC), in all these states, in which case I want to go with the location, location rule. Up-and-coming areas would be okay, too. Which, if not working in Stamford, was the thinking about the New Haven to Springfield rail development.

There's also a lot of other shoppers looking for bargains. The town will probably be where I can find something! Looking forward to spring inventory.

Last edited by Castielah; 01-10-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 04:21 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castielah View Post
Good posts, Stylo, and Raider111. I'm not at all ready to rule out CT, so getting some different ideas on how to make it work are really helpful.

Looking at real estate online, most homes in the $250K range look the same (older, need some TLC), in all these states, in which case I want to go with the location, location rule. Up-and-coming areas would be okay, too. Which, if not working in Stamford, was the thinking about the New Haven to Springfield rail development.

There's also a lot of other shoppers looking for bargains. The town will probably be where I can find something! Looking forward to spring inventory.

The houses in new haven for that price is a no go. They look nice but in areas you dont want to be in especially been new to the city if you do luck up and find one in a good area its gonna need alot kf tlc. Tlc that you might not want to put iin. You can get a nice condo for around 250k in new haven but resales on those are low if you needed to move in couple of years but other than that if you dont mind a loss then thats an option

Old 01-10-2017, 04:53 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I wouldn't look in the city of Providence for $250k- maybe one or two houses in Elmhurst neighborhood might work but the decent and desirable part of Providence is the East Side and you'll need $500K + to buy a house on a good street there.

Look in Westerly RI on the CT border. Closer to New London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut