U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM

9 posts, read 51,239 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to visit Stamford in 2 weeks and would like to know which airport should I fly to. I'm flying Southwest and they only fly into Hartford or Long Island. It's my understanding that they are both approximately 70-90 miles away from Stamford. Is there a train I could take from either airport?

Also, I will be staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Is this a decent hotel? I read that it was built in 2005, so I figured it should be relatively nice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM

2,339 posts, read 6,099,686 times
I'd fly into Hartford--but the only thing is if you take this route, there are no trains from Hartford to Stamford (maybe Amtrak??). Hartford would be about an hour and a half-hour and 45 mins from Stamford.
The Long Island route would be much more of a pain in the neck, due to you having to commute through and around NYC. Traffic could be a pain. You could take the train directly from your airport (or near the airport) on LI up to Stamford, but that would take quite a while in and of itself. Probably nearing 2 hours. Do the Hartford route and rent a car if you can.
As for the Courtyard by Marriott downtown--it's an incredible location and has been doing outstanding business since opening 3 years ago. There is my favorite restaurant in Stamford at the base of the Marriott--Napa. It's incredible! Expensive, but well worth it. The restaurant has been given several "one of the best in the state of CT" awards. Super, outstanding food. The Marriott is not even a block from Target, across the street from the small UConn Stamford campus, 2 blocks from the Stamford Mall, and right on Summer St with a lot of trendy and upscale restaurants and bars. Plus both movie theaters in Stamford are within walking distance of 2-3 blocks. Excellent choice.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,194,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex30 View Post
I'm planning to visit Stamford in 2 weeks and would like to know which airport should I fly to. I'm flying Southwest and they only fly into Hartford or Long Island. It's my understanding that they are both approximately 70-90 miles away from Stamford. Is there a train I could take from either airport?

Also, I will be staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Is this a decent hotel? I read that it was built in 2005, so I figured it should be relatively nice.

Thanks.
Weschester County in White Plains (HPN) is the closest airport to Stamford at 16 miles followed by La Guardia in Queens (LGA) at 34. Bradley (BDL) is 92. I am assuming that you mean New York City instead of Long Island. The boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, although on Long Island, are not considered part of Long Island.

MTA/Metro North commuter rail service would be available to Stamford from HPN or LGA.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 PM

92 posts, read 282,075 times
JFK and LGA are about 35 miles to Stamford. Hartford is approx 80 miles to Stamford. Get car service to Stamford.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 AM

4,784 posts, read 8,023,493 times
Yes, there is a "limo" service that runs from the NYC airports into Stamford periodically throughout the day, but at the moment I can't remember the name of it.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 AM

30 posts, read 163,225 times
Long Island has a growing Airport, MacArthur Airport in Islip. It is services by Southwest and some other airlines and is similar is size and flights to Westchester!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 51,239 times
Thank you to everyone! This forum has been so incredibly helpful to me. I really appreciate everyone who has either shared their experience or lended a suggestion. All the best.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 AM

49 posts, read 162,779 times
Connecticut Limo shuttles constantly from the airports into CT throughout the day. Although their prices have gone up dramatically, they are still your best bet and stress free way of getting out of the city. If I'm not mistaken, CT Limo may also have service from Hartford airport. They didn't for a long time, but last I heard they were reconsidering it.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 AM

718 posts, read 1,583,553 times
HARTFORD. Do not drive to MacArthur, it will most likely take forever. By the time you get to Queens you could have already been in Hartford.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

639 posts, read 1,893,055 times
Fly into Bradley. The drive is not bad and Bradley is easy in and out.

Long Island airport is doable by train, however the times are not great and you would have to make a change of trains at least 2-3 times. You would get into Penn Station and would have to take the subway or taxi to Grand Central and then wait for Metro North to Stamford, another 35-40 minute train ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut