Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:53 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times

Advertisements

Sound view as I recall is the only public beach in CT with a permitted bar, hence the crowds. Honestly it's really limited to the sound view neighborhood which is a tiny slice of town. It's pretty easy to avoid if you want to. Soundview was built before there were many zoning regulations, and as such it's full of small affordable rentals.

I like it personally I think having a little of the proletariat in the town is good for balance. I think with out Soundview Lyme would easily be the most stuck up town in the state and lose a bit of it's character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Yeah, I'm just referring to first hand accounts that I've been reading. Like a guy bringing his grandkids to the local ice cream parlor and having to explain the people in the car out front having sex. There are other accounts of people having sex all over the place as well. According to the people who are in charge of keeping the beach clean, these people just throw their trash all over the place. The lack of respect for the town, and the local population is staggering, and I'm so surprised the residents allow this to happen. It seems like a pretty easy fix..........get rid of the alcohol, and have rigorous policing of public intoxication. Make it known that Old Lyme is not a spring break party scene. Advertise it as a family friendly beach destination, and do everything you can to make sure that's what it is. Until that happens, the trash will continue to pour in, destroy the reputation of the town, and deter people from moving there.
I think many in the soundview area would like it a little cleaner but in general prefer it stay a little rowdy. The area depends on a volume of people renting houses spending money on parking and at the bar. The more people they jam in the better. Plus I think a number of the residents of soundview always remember it being a bit crazy and that's the way they like it. I have a few friends that own rentals in soundview, I never here them complain that it's to crazy they get more upset when someone says they are going to add rules about parking etc.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
What can the town do? That bar and the cheap beach rentals are why you see a party crowd.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What can the town do? That bar and the cheap beach rentals are why you see a party crowd.
Report the debauchery to the state liquor commission, because many of their customers are truly a hazard to public safety.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:07 PM

53 posts, read 123,812 times
Can any residents comment on how much this "summer scene" affects their daily life in the summer season?.......like running errands, going to the grocery store, going out to dinner with with your kids, etc... Old Lyme isn't a very large town, and I don't see how this Soundview scene doesn't affect the residents' daily life in a negative way. Do you feel its presence on a daily basis?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:17 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Sounds like fun, do they have boat docks you can pull up in?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Sounds like fun, do they have boat docks you can pull up in?
There's a mooring and they have a little shuttle boat that'll bring you to shore. I've done it many times but the scene is just too rowdy for me lately.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:43 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There's a mooring and they have a little shuttle boat that'll bring you to shore. I've done it many times but the scene is just too rowdy for me lately.
sounds like a bunch of drunk bros and 20 somethings, forget that then

Old 02-16-2017, 04:53 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,540 times
Default Sounds like Short Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I think many in the soundview area would like it a little cleaner but in general prefer it stay a little rowdy. The area depends on a volume of people renting houses spending money on parking and at the bar. The more people they jam in the better. Plus I think a number of the residents of soundview always remember it being a bit crazy and that's the way they like it. I have a few friends that own rentals in soundview, I never here them complain that it's to crazy they get more upset when someone says they are going to add rules about parking etc.
Minus the bars. Think they got shutdown over the years.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:46 AM

223 posts, read 172,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
My family has been considering moving to Old Lyme for a few years, but the things I've been reading about the summer crowd it attracts is really frightening and disgusting. I'm sure this is a major concern for anyone considering moving there. Is the town doing anything to address this problem? Are there any attempts at trying to create a more respectful, family oriented environment? It's so sad to see that Old Lyme allows itself to be so used and abused in the summer season.
There's always some seaside area in the northeast that's sometimes dodgy. I don't think Old Lyme is that bad compared to like Seabrook NH or parts of the Jersey shore. If you want a bourgeois place just head a couple miles down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut