Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 02:16 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Places more stuff on social media. Has a 5 step plan and advisors planned out.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Last night there was a debate between the Republican candidates for Governor. Anyone watch it on TV? Looks like it got interesting. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2018/06/11/cord...6a13a-68207705

Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Last night there was a debate between the Republican candidates for Governor. Anyone watch it on TV? Looks like it got interesting. Jay

I didn't watch the debate, but I read that article and that is a group of 4 very sad uninformed individuals.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:

From what I read in this article, I am really questioning whether I will vote for any of these candidates. They sound like they are pandering to the conservative masses rather than offering any real solutions to the problems the state faces.

They are attacking how our cities are run and preaching the typical far right BS on immigration. They do not recognize the great strides that Hartford has made in controlling its spending or recognize that some cities like New Haven are fairly well run. Herbst seems to think that as Governor he can dictate the way cities handle sanctuary cities. Kind of narrow minded IMHO.

They also preach that they are opposed to tolls which is fine but none of them seem to offer any real plan to fund our transportation system. Boughton was particularly "colorful" in his opposition and kind of blind to the fact that transportation funding has not been significantly increased in almost two decades, so I am really questioning whether I will vote for him.

Sorry but these guys really need to up their game if they will have any chance at beating the Democrats in the Fall. Whether they like it or not, our cities have a lot of voters and the majority are Democrats and will vote Democrat. Turning on them will do nothing to sway them or their supporters. Their comments may be political suicide. Jay

Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
From what I read in this article, I am really questioning whether I will vote for any of these candidates. They sound like they are pandering to the conservative masses rather than offering any real solutions to the problems the state faces.

They are attacking how our cities are run and preaching the typical far right BS on immigration. They do not recognize the great strides that Hartford has made in controlling its spending or recognize that some cities like New Haven are fairly well run. Herbst seems to think that as Governor he can dictate the way cities handle sanctuary cities. Kind of narrow minded IMHO.

They also preach that they are opposed to tolls which is fine but none of them seem to offer any real plan to fund our transportation system. Boughton was particularly "colorful" in his opposition and kind of blind to the fact that transportation funding has not been significantly increased in almost two decades, so I am really questioning whether I will vote for him.

Sorry but these guys really need to up their game if they will have any chance at beating the Democrats in the Fall. Whether they like it or not, our cities have a lot of voters and the majority are Democrats and will vote Democrat. Turning on them will do nothing to sway them or their supporters. Their comments may be political suicide. Jay
None of the strong Dem candidates (e.g. Lembo) are running. Lamont has zero experience and his only claim to fame is beating Lieberman in the primary to only get trounced by him in the general election. I've yet to hear any specifics out of Lamont either. His pick of Bysewicz as LG is terrible. He's the Dem version of Foley.

But I agree that Boughton is talking nonsense about eliminating the income tax and not implementing tolls. While the income tax could be lowered, I don't know how you eliminate it. And I think tolls are inevitable.

I think bashing the cities (esp Hartford) plays well in the suburbs. The Hartford bailout was unpopular. And that's where the election will be won - the independents in the suburbs will decide this race. The GOP has ceded the large cities to the Dems long ago.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 AM

It doesn't make any sense to stand up there and say how much you hate Hartford or other cities when the majority of CT's voters live in cities. Yes it plays well in the suburbs, but the suburbs don't have enough votes.

Might as well stand up there and say how much you hate women and they should be home cooking and cleaning. That would alienate at least 50% of voters too.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Still voting for Obstenik strongest in the debate. Not sure how he plans to bring jobs or set up regions of infrastructure but give it a whirl.

I don't know I mean Cities need to be more self-reliant in the State, draw less State money, lower taxes, work on reducing crime, and the State needs to help Cities out by encouraging developers to develop in these Cities.

Have lots of beautiful Cities in the State. Any that could really stand alone right now are Norwalk and Stamford.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
It doesn't make any sense to stand up there and say how much you hate Hartford or other cities when the majority of CT's voters live in cities. Yes it plays well in the suburbs, but the suburbs don't have enough votes.

Might as well stand up there and say how much you hate women and they should be home cooking and cleaning. That would alienate at least 50% of voters too.
There are about 2.3 million registered voters in CT. About 360,000 are in the five largest cities (Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Stamford and Waterbury).
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/sots/E...RPES.pdf?la=en

Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
None of the strong Dem candidates (e.g. Lembo) are running. Lamont has zero experience and his only claim to fame is beating Lieberman in the primary to only get trounced by him in the general election. I've yet to hear any specifics out of Lamont either. His pick of Bysewicz as LG is terrible. He's the Dem version of Foley.

But I agree that Boughton is talking nonsense about eliminating the income tax and not implementing tolls. While the income tax could be lowered, I don't know how you eliminate it. And I think tolls are inevitable.

I think bashing the cities (esp Hartford) plays well in the suburbs. The Hartford bailout was unpopular. And that's where the election will be won - the independents in the suburbs will decide this race. The GOP has ceded the large cities to the Dems long ago.
I could see income tax eliminated in 8 to 10 yrs. Then create a flat tax rate lowest in the region to boost growth at 5%.

Really hoping for all property taxes be capped at a 50 Mill. A flat business tax of 8%. Look at the possibility of tolls.

Do away with Estate Tax.

Look at legalizing marijuana and sell of fireworks in the State.

Create more parks and walkways in the State.

Privatize some State agencies. Create partnership with private and State run agencies. Increase amount put in to pensions. Increase funding to depleted run State services like DMHAS and DDS.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
There are about 2.3 million registered voters in CT. About 360,000 are in the five largest cities (Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Stamford and Waterbury).
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/sots/E...RPES.pdf?la=en

Cool but you're forgetting all the smaller cities like New Britain 80k, Meriden 60k, Middletown 50k, Bristol 55k, etc. In CT I would consider a city to have at least 50k population. With that considered city voters will hit 1 million. The only exception I can think of is West Hartford at 55k and they probably lean Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut