Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tolls in CT? (Voting for CT residents only, please!)
Yes 23 46.00%
No 23 46.00%
Unsure (explain) 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,151,069 times

Advertisements

Yes, no brainer, along with the idea of eliminating the car tax.
Tolls can be strategically placed to minimize drive arounds. For example - 95 Bridgeport, no man's land on the Merritt, try taking backroads from Exit 42 to 44 in Fairfield, good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,780,306 times
I voted no, but would consider voting yes if the gas tax was lowered at the same time.

If we want to avoid people driving around tolls, the tolls should be placed on every bridge that crosses the CT river. One can not drive around a bridge. If the tolls were low enough, like .50 - $1 people wouldn't even notice, but I'm sure any tolls the CT Govt comes up with would start at $3 at the minimum.

I do think its too easy in CT to drive around any border tolls they may propose, so I don't think border tolls would be very effective. Especially when it comes to trucks. They know where the tolls are and how to drive around them.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:45 PM

9,786 posts, read 14,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Yes, no brainer, along with the idea of eliminating the car tax.
Tolls can be strategically placed to minimize drive arounds. For example - 95 Bridgeport, no man's land on the Merritt, try taking backroads from Exit 42 to 44 in Fairfield, good luck with that.
I like that about eliminating the car tax.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I like that about eliminating the car tax.
It's nice when considering personal finances but in reality, we're talking municipal vs state dollars. Property taxes would undoubtedly rise to make up for the loss.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:11 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,582,672 times
If there is going to be tolls in CT they have to do away with either income or sales tax. Say 5 year's of tolls with income, sales, marijuana, alcohol, cigarette, and gas tax. After 5 year's budget should be stable enough to do away with income, sales tax, or both.

With car tax should do away with it for home owners in cities if 50,000 or more.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,151,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's nice when considering personal finances but in reality, we're talking municipal vs state dollars. Property taxes would undoubtedly rise to make up for the loss.
I was being silly. They will never eliminate the car tax, they will add tolls, and prop taxes will go up. We'll hit the trifecta.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 PM

3,341 posts, read 4,126,193 times
All future municipal and state employees are moved to a DC plan and active employees must contribute any compulsory pay raises to their pension or face lower payouts. 35 year employment required for full pension. Our budget would be balanced. No one denied a pension. Is that medicine too difficult to swallow? The other option is 100% income tax and still running deficits.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,168,786 times
How is the state going to solve the underlining fiscal problems? If anything CT is digging itself a deeper hole. Enjoy it.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I was being silly. They will never eliminate the car tax, they will add tolls, and prop taxes will go up. We'll hit the trifecta.
Agreed, but actually I think you can add tolls and other taxes will still go up, unless there is significant budge reforms. It is spending that is out of control.

I was looking at the tolls on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey as a possible suggestion for tolls on Connecticut parkways. Instead I found the shocking entry below. I highlighted some sections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden...oll_collection

On January 8, 2008, New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine proposed increases of fifty percent in tolls on the parkway and turnpike effective in 2010, to be followed by similar 50 percent increases every four years through 2022. Each time tolls increased, there would be an additional increase for inflation since the last toll increase (for the first, since 2006). This increase in tolls, which would take place on all three of New Jersey's toll roads, would, according to Corzine, help pay the state's debt. The roads would be maintained by a nonprofit "public benefit corporation" which would pay back bonds to the state. Without considering inflation, the proposal would have increased the standard 35-cent toll on the Garden State Parkway to approximately $1.80 by 2022, with tolls for the entire length of the northbound Garden State Parkway rising from $4.55 to $30.10 in 2022.

A massive toll increase did not happen that time in New Jersey but be careful for what you wish for in Connecticut. Once you let the Genie out of the bottle, it won't be so easy to control.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:39 AM

712 posts, read 522,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Agreed, but actually I think you can add tolls and other taxes will still go up, unless there is significant budge reforms. It is spending that is out of control.

I was looking at the tolls on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey as a possible suggestion for tolls on Connecticut parkways. Instead I found the shocking entry below. I highlighted some sections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden...oll_collection

On January 8, 2008, New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine proposed increases of fifty percent in tolls on the parkway and turnpike effective in 2010, to be followed by similar 50 percent increases every four years through 2022. Each time tolls increased, there would be an additional increase for inflation since the last toll increase (for the first, since 2006). This increase in tolls, which would take place on all three of New Jersey's toll roads, would, according to Corzine, help pay the state's debt. The roads would be maintained by a nonprofit "public benefit corporation" which would pay back bonds to the state. Without considering inflation, the proposal would have increased the standard 35-cent toll on the Garden State Parkway to approximately $1.80 by 2022, with tolls for the entire length of the northbound Garden State Parkway rising from $4.55 to $30.10 in 2022.

A massive toll increase did not happen that time in New Jersey but be careful for what you wish for in Connecticut. Once you let the Genie out of the bottle, it won't be so easy to control.
Be careful of what you wish for is right.

Speaking of letting the genie out of the bottle, NJ used to have very little gas tax. Now they have the 6th highest gas tax in the nation after it was recently voted to raise the gas tax.

N.J. gas tax set to rise from 49th to 6th-highest in U.S. - NY Daily News

"A major increase in the gas tax in the Garden State will go into effect Tuesday, raising the tax from 14.5 cents per gallon to 37.5 cents"

It's incredibly expensive to drive in NY/NJ metro area. As if cost of living isn't high enough for housing
The tolls in that state and nyc metro are like a never ending money pit for drivers. Just to get from woodbridge NJ(state island border) to queens/jfk and back costs around 30 dollars in tolls. 30 bucks For around a 30 mile trip. As if the traffic isn't bad enough, they smash you with tolls. I remember "green" people saying making tolls higher reduces traffic. It clearly hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut