Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tolls in CT? (Voting for CT residents only, please!)
Yes 23 46.00%
No 23 46.00%
Unsure (explain) 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:52 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Vote Count so far:

19 Yes
19 No
2 Unsure.

I could of been the tie breaker. lol

I was traveling on 287 the other day and when I passed the Tappan Zee Bridge both ways I realized THERE WAS NO MORE TOLL PLAZA. Didn't even see any overhead scanners (I might have missed)

Just checked my account and sure enough, $5 was deducted. Guess plazas will be a thing of the past soon.

BTW - The new bridge is looking amazing!! Higher and wider.

Tappan Zee Bridge: Cashless tolls start April 23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 04:12 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,859 times
See? No Stratford 1983 mess! That's a lot like what's in place on I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike already!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:00 AM

504 posts, read 384,917 times
I voted unsure. I would like to see State residents get significant discounts on tolls, and also a lock box put on revenue generated. My problem with the lockbox is, I doubt the State will honor it and will take the money and use it for non-transportation spending. Also I would like to see the gas tax reduced, along with the sales tax. Again the only way I can support this is if the lockbox can be guaranteed!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
To me it's a no-brainer. People who use the road should be the ones who pay for it. Tolls, please.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
I still can't believe that some people still trust the same thieves, even after getting robbed several times. And no, there will be no lockbox, Hartford made it very clear, and there are no sacred cows.

So yes, toll revenue will find its way into the general fund, and pay for other "freebies" to some, while robbing the middle class.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
To me it's a no-brainer. People who use the road should be the ones who pay for it. Tolls, please.
So paying the gas tax is not considered paying for the roads? Well damn! The State better pay me back all that money I paid in gas taxes when I filled up at the pumps all these years.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:45 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
So paying the gas tax is not considered paying for the roads? Well damn! The State better pay me back all that money I paid in gas taxes when I filled up at the pumps all these years.
As was explained, the gas tax is not generating enough money. Between a fixed tax that has not been in decades and ever increasing fuel efficiency, it will not be long before we can not maintain our roads let alone improve them. It is a problem all states are facing. Many are raising taxes. Connecticut lawmakers are resisting that but it will not be long before they have no choice but to do something. Jay

Old 04-03-2017, 08:37 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Vote Count so far:

19 Yes
19 No
2 Unsure.

I could of been the tie breaker. lol

I was traveling on 287 the other day and when I passed the Tappan Zee Bridge both ways I realized THERE WAS NO MORE TOLL PLAZA. Didn't even see any overhead scanners (I might have missed)

Just checked my account and sure enough, $5 was deducted. Guess plazas will be a thing of the past soon.

BTW - The new bridge is looking amazing!! Higher and wider.

Tappan Zee Bridge: Cashless tolls start April 23
I understand that the toll on the new bridge will be something like 3X the current toll.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As was explained, the gas tax is not generating enough money. Between a fixed tax that has not been in decades and ever increasing fuel efficiency, it will not be long before we can not maintain our roads let alone improve them. It is a problem all states are facing. Many are raising taxes. Connecticut lawmakers are resisting that but it will not be long before they have no choice but to do something. Jay
Who are you kidding? You and I both know that the State doesn't solely use gas tax revenue on roads only. Had there been a lock box on the proceeds all these years, we probably could of made some major repairs to our roads without significant tax increases. It's incredibly naive to think the State will do the right thing when the tolls come online, considering how bad their track record. I just can't understand your trust in politicians.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Who are you kidding? You and I both know that the State doesn't solely use gas tax revenue on roads only. Had there been a lock box on the proceeds all these years, we probably could of made some major repairs to our roads without significant tax increases. It's incredibly naive to think the State will do the right thing when the tolls come online, considering how bad their track record. I just can't understand your trust in politicians.
What choice do we have? Ignoring the problem solves nothing and only adds to the problem. The Governor and many of our Legislators are trying to get a lockbox put on this but is meeting resistance from those who want some flexibility.

Even if there is a lockbox placed on the toll funds, what things do you include as acceptable to use the funds for? Do you include things like State Police patrols that ensures enforcement of laws and answers emergency calls or CTDOT engineering, maintenance and administration staff that keep the highway in good working order and handle funding of it? It is not a simple answer and must be addressed. I never said this was a simple solution or that we can trust our government to do what is best, but doing nothing is worse than making a bad decision IMHO. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut