U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 AM

9 posts, read 7,407 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is looking to move to the general area around East Hampton, Hebron and Lebanon. I don't know anything about these towns. I cam going to link her to this thread. If anybody knows anything about this area I would greatly appreciate a few answers to the below questions as well any other relevant info:

As for background knowledge the friend has 3 elementary aged children. She wants to live in a town that would be good to raise a family and also would prefer diversity if at all possible.

Here are a few questions:
1. How affordable are these towns? Which town in the area represents the best value?
2. How safe are these towns? Any towns or neighborhoods in this region that should be avoided?
3. What is the reputation of the schools in this area?
4. What towns are more convenient as far as highway access?
5. Parks, libraries, town sports leagues. Which of these towns shine in this area?
6. Any other nearby towns that you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,795,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVargas View Post
I have a friend who is looking to move to the general area around East Hampton, Hebron and Lebanon. I don't know anything about these towns. I cam going to link her to this thread. If anybody knows anything about this area I would greatly appreciate a few answers to the below questions as well any other relevant info:

As for background knowledge the friend has 3 elementary aged children. She wants to live in a town that would be good to raise a family and also would prefer diversity if at all possible.

1. How affordable are these towns? Which town in the area represents the best value?
2. How safe are these towns? Any towns or neighborhoods in this region that should be avoided?
5. Parks, libraries, town sports leagues. Which of these towns shine in this area?

All three of these towns are rural by CT standards, although East Hampton has a small commercial stretch on RT 66 which continues to get build up. East Hampton is also home to "Lake Pocotopaug" which provides lots of recreation opportunities on the water during the summer months (it even has a beach).

Ranked by population from highest to lowest 1. East Hampton 2. Hebron 3. Lebanon

I don't know any thing about the schools in these towns, but most likely Hebron and Lebanon have "regional schools" because their populations are small. East Hampton probably has its own school systems.

Not sure about highway access, but I think RT 2 has an exit for Rt 66 which would provide access to East Hampton and Hebron. Lebanon I think is further out via RT 2.

Lebanon is also the most rural of the 3 towns.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:38 AM

995 posts, read 260,337 times
To answer questions in order

1) All 3 towns are reasonably affordable in price from highest (most expensice) to lowest in my experience would be Hebron - East Hampton - Lebanon.
2) All are safe towns again more rural not many issues.
3)The schools are average to above average for CT which would be in general above average for the rest of the country. Hebron uses Rham schools the other 2 I believe have their own. All are fairly good I think Hebron might have a slight edge followed be East Hampton.
4) None of these towns are very convenient to the highway (well parts if Hebron and EastHampton are close to rt2) It's about 10 minutes off the highway to the center of each town. Lebanon is a bit further. Not bad but not as easy as most places in CT.
5)All 3 towns (as most do in CT) have libraries and parks and open space to explore. (I don't know much about sports other then Rham high school in Hebron is very competitive) I like East Hampton for this as well nice park on the lake only open to residents.

6) To move up the ranks for highway access and schools (into the truly exceptional) you can look at Glastonbury but the housing and property tax will be much higher. Bolton just past Manchester is a very similar town. If they want a little more ameneties while being in the same part of the state Colchester. Another town is Marlborough which is right in the middle of the same area.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:46 AM

995 posts, read 260,337 times
One more thing there tends to be little diversity in CT outside of Urban areas. Most of the towns in Eastern CT are around 90% white with the exception of the small cities larger towns. This is slowly changing but is the current situation.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM

21,363 posts, read 35,109,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVargas View Post

Affordability is really a relative term meaning what one person may think is affordable and a good value, another may think differently. Of the three, I believe Lebanon is the least expensive and Hebron likely the most. OF the three, Hebron has the best performing schools with RHAM high and middle schools being fairly well respected.

I know people that live in Hebron and East Hampton. All of the people I know in Hebron love it. The ones in East Hampton like it but have given me some questionable opinions on the quality of schools there. Not bad but not great either.

All of these towns are pretty small so the parks, libraries and sports programs are limited. I believe East Hampton would offer the most since it is the largest of the three towns.

IF your friend is considering other towns, they might want to look at Marlborough which is more affluent and right off Route 2; Colchester which has more of a small town feel but is also off Route 2: Andover a small town that shares schools with Hebron and Marlborough; and Bolton which is a small town with good schools a bit further north but has great access to I-384. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 03-09-2017, 11:06 AM

3,089 posts, read 7,274,235 times
I live in Marlborough, right between East Hampton and Hebron. The other posts covered basic facts. Some areas of these three towns are easily accessible by Route 2, some aren't. Lebanon is definitely more off the beaten path and rural than the other 2 towns. All of the towns are safe and have good schools. Hebron will be more expensive, East Hampton will have more diverse housing stock (condos, single family, etc.). East Hampton is known for their constant political drama. For a small town, there is always something going on in their town hall, PD, or both and not for the better. You'll find just about every town in CT has youth sports, library, and parks.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:59 PM

213 posts, read 270,934 times
We live in Hebron. Our friends in both Hebron and Marlborough speak highly of the schools, particularly the elementary schools (Gilead, Hebron, and Mary-Theines?) in those towns. Our experience was not as pleasant, but it really depends on your kids and their specific needs. Depending on where you live in Hebron, access to Rt. 2 is a few minutes to 10-15 minutes down 66. Major shopping (grocery) tends to be in either E. Hampton or up the road in Glastonbury. Where we live it's actually faster to head there instead of down 66 to E. Hampton. I believe Big Y may be (eventually) built in Marlborough.

I can't say much about E. Hampton or Lebanon beyond what's already been covered. It's a very pretty area of CT to live in, and access to the Airline Trail in Hebron (Amston) is a big perk for us.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 PM

19 posts, read 9,478 times
I have lived in Hebron for 10 years and love it. Schools are great. Prior to that I lived in Colchester for 13 years. I still do my shopping in Colchester because it is cheaper. The taxes in Hebron are much hugher than some other towns around here. Marlborough has fewer amenities than Hebron, and East Hampton has more than Hebron. Lebanon is lovely if you want land and a rural feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut