U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 AM

399 posts, read 1,195,302 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are on our way to Stamford to check out the city. We will be there the last week of March for a few days. It sounds like just what we're looking for on paper, but want to check out Milford as well while we are there if there is a big difference in the cost of living. We want to mix business with pleasure while we are there and I am sure the downtown and beach will take care of the pleasure end of things, but we also want to look into jobs, look at some small house rentals or apartment rentals, figure out the commute between Milford and Stamford (if we decide to live in Milford) and visit UConn. We also booked both the CourtYard by Marriot and the Holiday Inn since we didn't know which area was better to stay in.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Recomendations? All help is welcomed and appreciated. Feel free to PM me with any recommendations or links if they are not allowed on the forum. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 17,436 times
Commute from Milford to Stamford? Can be quite rough if you do it during the traditional "rush" hour. Stamford is certainly more expensive but many of us opt to pay more to not have to commute. PLus it's that much closer to NYC and all that that offers. I've been here 11 years...would be happy to answer any questions.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Thanks I appreciate that. It;s just the two of us and we would like to rent a small 1 or 2 bedroom...preferably a house because we want two dogs and we want to live in a nicer neighborhood that is safe. If you could reccommend (or PM) me and rentals for apts or houses that would be very helpful.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,158,029 times
Stay at the Courtyard! It is a newer hotel and right in the middle of all of the developing downtown excitement. You could stay there and walk to the nightlife and downtown stores, but at the Holiday Inn you would have to drive since it's in a part of town that has a lot of office buildings and parking garages--but no street life. Good luck on your visit!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM

I am very excited. Thanks. I will take your advice and stay at the marriot.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM

8,156 posts, read 13,088,674 times
The beach in March? I don't know...it may just be you and the seaweed. lol

Don't expect much for "beach life" in March here. Just a heads up.

We are in our "ugly" season right now, just so you know. They call it "Spring cleaning" for a reason. By April everything is cleaned up from the Winter and blooming.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Ha! Guess, I deserved that one, J. Duly noted

Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,988 times
If you are looking for a small house, and have 2 dogs, an idea might be in North Stamford. There are many large estates or properties that also have a guest cottage / carriage house on them. Most are 800-1500 sqft, 1 or 2 br, 1 bath, and are quite charming. They are much quieter than living downtown, as you are usually tucked away on a large piece of private property. We've been in one for 4+ years now, and absolutely love it.

You can usually see these on the MLS, but Craigslist and some local agents will have private listings as well.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 6,101,346 times
I'd definitely recommend the Courtyard by Marriott!! Like someone said, it's right in the smack dab middle of downtown Stamford. The Trump Tower is going up a block away, Target is next door, UConn campus is across the street, and there is a lot of bars, restaurants within feet of the hotel. It's a wonderful area!! As for living here, you may want to look at Springdale or Glenbrook--these neighborhoods are quaint and charming with somewhat less expensive rentals/sales. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 AM

This has been a lot of help. Thanks so much. If anyone has any other thoughts please share them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut