Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:13 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarysage View Post
That's great! How was your transition? We live in Westminster right now. I have been looking at smaller towns like simsbury and Avon as my husband will be working in Farmington.
I'm native from CT so not much of one.

West Hartford has the closest feel to a well rounded Colorado town. Farmington/Simsbury/Avon might feel rural in comparison, unless you want that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 03:25 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'm native from CT so not much of one.

West Hartford has the closest feel to a well rounded Colorado town. Farmington/Simsbury/Avon might feel rural in comparison, unless you want that.
West Hartford would compare to Boulder CO. About the same size, but slightly less people. Blue Back Square is similar to Pearl St Mall. No big school like CU, but 2 smaller uni's. UConn is moving its WH campus to downtown Hartford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_H...2C_Connecticut

Farmington Avon Simsbury more like Westminster, Arvada, Broomfield CO (with trees )

Old 04-07-2017, 03:29 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
As for shopping, you really don't need to leave the Farmington Valley for much except Target or Costco. There are plenty of mall stores at the shoppes at Farmington Valley and scattered along 44 in Avon.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:36 AM

4 posts, read 3,889 times
Thank you so much for all the great information! I definitely feel much better seeing this.
reed you mentioned no bugs?? My biggest concern is ticks. We go hiking a lot here and play in parks. I don't even think twice about bugs. I did notice that ticks are an issue out east. Is it a problem in residential and public places or just woods?

Old 04-08-2017, 04:55 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
Ticks can be found anywhere although they are more common in the woods. If you wear bug spray and check yourself afterwards you will be fine. I hike in the woods all the time and have never had a tick on me.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all the great information! I definitely feel much better seeing this.
reed you mentioned no bugs?? My biggest concern is ticks. We go hiking a lot here and play in parks. I don't even think twice about bugs. I did notice that ticks are an issue out east. Is it a problem in residential and public places or just woods?
FWIW, the only ticks I or my family ever picked up were in CO , the first year we were there (1973) when we did not know there was a "season" to ticks.

Here in CT, only the dogs have come home with ticks after being in the woods. Not aware of any problem in public places.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
What's your budget?

Old 04-08-2017, 03:50 PM

752 posts, read 552,628 times
Quote:
Better safe than sorry-- Ticks are not a big issue, but, if you're big hikers you may want to check the kids and the dog for ticks when coming home.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Hiking on clear trails will not get you ticks. Walking through brush and grass will.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,889 times
Thank you so so much! Such helpful information.

It looks like there will be plenty to do but that I'll have to adjust my body checks on the girls and spray every day for ticks.

We are looking at simsbury- its supposed to be a cute town with great schools and community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut