U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,266 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am a single 25-year-old male moving to CT this summer to work in Hartford County. I am currently living in NYC and I like the urban lifestyle. I know CT is very different than NYC, so I have realistic expectations. I would like to know which area would be best for me to meet and socialize with more childless, single, young professionals in my age range. Old similar threads that I've read refer to mostly to either Downtown Hartford, West Hartford or New Haven as the best places. Yet those threads are about 4 years old on Avg. I would like to have more recent opinions. Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 09:01 PM

24,593 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Not much has changed. If you want a more urban lifestyle, your choices are limited. Downtown Hartford has a number of apartments but shopping is limited and it is no where near the scale of New York. West Hartford is really suburban but has some amenities of urban areas. New Haven is about 45 minutes from Hartford so I would not recommend living there.

You say your new job is in the Hartford County but do not say where. That could make a difference. Jay

Old 04-07-2017, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not much has changed. If you want a more urban lifestyle, your choices are limited. Downtown Hartford has a number of apartments but shopping is limited and it is no where near the scale of New York. West Hartford is really suburban but has some amenities of urban areas. New Haven is about 45 minutes from Hartford so I would not recommend living there.

You say your new job is in the Hartford County but do not say where. That could make a difference. Jay
Thanks for replying so fast Jay. I understand it is not comparable to NYC and it's ok. In the end, my goal is to easily meet similar folks like me since I like social activities and I don't have family or friends in CT. I will be working in Berlin, CT. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:24 AM

1,528 posts, read 726,575 times
As Jay says, West Hartford has many urban amenities. Its nightlife is laid back in keeping with the nature of the town. However, it is pretty lively and in some ways rivals Hartford for nightlife unless you are after clubs rather than more relaxed bars. Most bars and restaurants are also clustered rather close to each other making for a nice entertainment zone.

Housing in WH is surprisingly cheap considering the quality and desirability of the town. It's a very well established town with many beautiful older homes (20's - 30's) within close walking distance to downtown. It also has many apartment options near to downtown. Nice tree lined streets and handsome neighborhoods. Residents are generally better educated and traveled than many of the 'newer' towns like Berlin, Newington, Southington, etc.

Surrounding small cities like New Britain, Meriden, etc have seen better days and are best avoided.

Middletown is a mixed bag. It has a pretty good row of bars, coffee shops and restaurants (relatively speaking of course) and with Wesleyan University, it has an undercurrent of alternative vibe among a largely working class feel and some level of 'rough around the edges'.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:22 AM

24,593 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by --pacha-- View Post
Thanks for replying so fast Jay. I understand it is not comparable to NYC and it's ok. In the end, my goal is to easily meet similar folks like me since I like social activities and I don't have family or friends in CT. I will be working in Berlin, CT. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Berlin is very suburban and I don't think there is a lot of mass transit serving it, so that means you will likely need a car if you do not have one. Just because gives some good suggestions. Downtown Hartford, West Hartford or Middletown would be your best options if you want a more urban lifestyle. If you are willing to live in a more suburban area, consider Berlin, Newington, Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Wethersfield and the Westfield section of Middletown. Jay

Old 04-08-2017, 03:54 PM

319 posts, read 148,130 times
If you're living in Berlin, I'd suggest looking seriously like New Haven. For my money, it's the best urban-style living available in Connecticut. No other area has a density of restaurants, theater and shopping that New Haven does. It is the most diverse city in Connecticut, and, while a bit gritty, downtown, East Rock, and Westville are safe areas with a diversity of living options.

You're commute will be about 35 minutes-- Which I think is doable.

Downtown Hartford is another possibility, but, honestly, I think the still roll up the sidewalks at 5.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:45 AM

1,268 posts, read 947,897 times
I would definitely consider New Haven. I would also look at Middletown. You should know that West Hartford skews a bit older and more family oriented than either of those communities.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM

1,528 posts, read 726,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
I would definitely consider New Haven. I would also look at Middletown. You should know that West Hartford skews a bit older and more family oriented than either of those communities.
You are correct but the restaurants and bars of West Hartford are filled with young professionals so still much more diverse in age than the more suburban options. However, my guess is that among the young professionals in WH, many are couples and young families. But the fairly lively (relatively speaking) downtown does attract from all over the region so I'm sure meeting people is not so hard.

I also agree with New Haven. While it obviously has its problems, it does have a lot of advantages. Frustrating because it should be a lot better than it is. And, of course, train service to NY.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:10 PM

14,723 posts, read 17,950,545 times
Working in Berlin and looking for an urban lifestyle, New Haven hands down, full stop. While there are other great places to live, you'll be disappointed anywhere else.

When friends come up from NYC and we go out in New Haven, they are really impressed by how much it offers for a small city.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM

14,723 posts, read 17,950,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

I also agree with New Haven. While it obviously has its problems, it does have a lot of advantages. Frustrating because it should be a lot better than it is. And, of course, train service to NY.
It's been trending upwards for at least 5 years.

Lots of new apartments, businesses, opening of the best music venue in CT (College Street Music Hall), crime dwindling. It's really turning into a great, well rounded city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or