U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
16,426 posts, read 22,854,564 times
Reputation: 5702

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Its only a known road to the people who live and drive thru this area frequently. No reason to think that a driver from Florida would automatically know the Merritt is cars only.


Standard GPS systems like the Garmin Nuvi 50 with life time updates can be found on ebay for 50$ or less. Truck specific GPS systems are more expensive and probably have a monthly fee. Most phones come with GPS now too. No reason to think that a poor truck driver is going to spring for the more expensive GPS option.
Are we living in the same world? There are signs everywhere and any truck driver knows traveling through the congested northeast states that there are many restrictions. Itís carelessness at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2019, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
68,362 posts, read 50,462,101 times
Reputation: 11180
Apparently it happened 3 days before as well. Ugh.

https://www.thehour.com/news/article...s-13520853.php

"In the last two months, there have been two trucks that struck either the East Rocks or West Rocks bridges over the Merritt"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,853 posts, read 1,922,045 times
Reputation: 6287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Its only a known road to the people who live and drive thru this area frequently. No reason to think that a driver from Florida would automatically know the Merritt is cars only.


Standard GPS systems like the Garmin Nuvi 50 with life time updates can be found on ebay for 50$ or less. Truck specific GPS systems are more expensive and probably have a monthly fee. Most phones come with GPS now too. No reason to think that a poor truck driver is going to spring for the more expensive GPS option.
The average truck driver makes about $60,000 a year, and they can lose their jobs over accidents. No truck driver is going to stake his job on a $50 consumer GPS. Any truck driver that would be dumb enough to do that is not going to last long as a truck driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 06:06 AM
 
4,039 posts, read 2,181,512 times
Reputation: 4351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Its only a known road to the people who live and drive thru this area frequently. No reason to think that a driver from Florida would automatically know the Merritt is cars only.


Standard GPS systems like the Garmin Nuvi 50 with life time updates can be found on ebay for 50$ or less. Truck specific GPS systems are more expensive and probably have a monthly fee. Most phones come with GPS now too. No reason to think that a poor truck driver is going to spring for the more expensive GPS option.
As a known road I was referring to the map makers that support the GPS. If a professional driver is using a consumer GPS, they are risking their job or equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
68,362 posts, read 50,462,101 times
Reputation: 11180
I-95 is closed in Stamford this morning. Stand still all the way back to Port Chester on north side. Sick area. Sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,460 posts, read 4,405,686 times
Reputation: 2425
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

Whenever I get on 95 I see a truck literally within 5 seconds of me getting onto the highway even in the middle of the night. So at 2 PM in a not a cloud in the sky clear day, this idiot should've known he was on the wrong road within 5 seconds of getting on. Granted, they'd be screwed, and everyone behind him would be screwed because there would be nowhere to pull over and call for help, but at least they would be semi close to the entrance ramp, so they could just back them up down the ramp and send him in on the way. Total incompetence! I saw one the other night coming from Milford too just beyond exit 52 going north so he obviously got on from 25 and than missed TWO chances to exit the road .

Know what a good way to get some funds back for the state?? Fine the $#!t out of these companies who's tractor-trailer trucks end up on the parkway and I'm not talking about a $100,000 slap on the wrist fine I'm talking millions. $1 million first offense, $5 million second offense, $10 million third and $5 million for each additional violation after that. Companies will probably damn well sure their drivers are extremely educated on routes they are traveling and what roads they can or can't take because they aren't going to throw away a million because of an idiot driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
68,362 posts, read 50,462,101 times
Reputation: 11180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
.. at 2 PM in a not a cloud in the sky clear day, this idiot should've known he was on the wrong road within 5 seconds of getting on. Granted, they'd be screwed, and everyone behind him would be screwed because there would be nowhere to pull over and call for help,

One positive is that it looks like he did slow down to a crawl to try? Otherwise the truck would of been a convertible. Or the bridge would of collapsed.


On that note, do they inspect the integrity of the bridge after these hits? Even just the vibration might weaken the structure. Can you imagine the congestion if it collapsed or had to be replaced?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Know what a good way to get some funds back for the state?? Fine the $#!t out of these companies who's tractor-trailer trucks end up on the parkway and I'm not talking about a $100,000 slap on the wrist fine I'm talking millions. $1 million first offense, $5 million second offense, $10 million third and $5 million for each additional violation after that. Companies will probably damn well sure their drivers are extremely educated on routes they are traveling and what roads they can or can't take because they aren't going to throw away a million because of an idiot driver.

Agree on the fines and agree it all starts in the truck yard where they pick up the truck. Just like its routine to have a destination address, it should be routine to say STAY OFF THE PARKWAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 05:35 AM
 
4,039 posts, read 2,181,512 times
Reputation: 4351
If the bridge is hit, then it gets inspected.

IMHO, over height laser systems should be installed at every on ramp to the Merritt. If the truck gets on the road despite the warning and realizes that it is over height, it should be forced to sit on the side of road until late in the evening when it would be less disruptive to get it off the road.

Truckers may not like waiting around but as a wise sage once said: "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
68,362 posts, read 50,462,101 times
Reputation: 11180
4:10pm today. Big accident Merritt north in New canaan. Front end of a van completely smashed. No pics, I was heading south.

Probably an out of stater who doesnt realize we make sudden stops because of traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
68,362 posts, read 50,462,101 times
Reputation: 11180
On the way back north today at 5:30pm. (Yes, I made the mistake getting on after seeing that earlier accident ) But there was pockets of movement so wasn't too crazy.


4 cars
. Stamford



Looks like that's an officer actually. Civic got banged up in the rear


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top