U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:46 PM

64,980 posts, read 47,284,481 times

Advertisements

5/31/17 4:30pm. Car in ditch near woods Merrit North in Greenwich. Multiple cars on shoulder. No picture, sorry. Heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 02:56 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
5/31/17 4:30pm. Car in ditch near woods Merrit North in Greenwich. Multiple cars on shoulder. No picture, sorry. Heads up.
Funny these accidents keep occurring with you there. Jay

Old 05-31-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Funny these accidents keep occurring with you there. Jay
lol. I'm blessed I'm not there minutes earlier.

They cleared it within 45 minutes. THATS what I'm talking about. Still residual traffic from it but no vehicles or tow trucks at the site.. The car was smoking too and all banged up at the edge of the woods..

Wish all accidents were cleared in this amount of time.

You can see the skid marks on the Merritt North between 32 and 33. and I see why it happened. A little hill was approaching and there was probably stopped traffic and the person didn't see stopped cars till last second. Locked up, Swerved hard to the right, Clipped some cars and went flying into the woods. My best guess.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 AM

October 27, 2017. Northbound looked blocked in Greenwich.

Fire and state troop were on scene. 2 ambulances and more troopers on the way

No idea what happened.

1:15pm

Old 10-28-2017, 11:56 AM

460 posts, read 213,869 times
On a typical day, how many accidents happen in the state? It just seems like there's a TON of accidents. Are people really such bad drivers? Are our roads so bad? Or is a transit system in which one person drives in their own car on a congested road with other single drivers in their cars just a concept with inherent flaws? The shift from people living in and around cities to suburban sprawl certainly seems to have its price tags.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:04 PM

3,161 posts, read 7,882,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
On a typical day, how many accidents happen in the state? It just seems like there's a TON of accidents. Are people really such bad drivers? Are our roads so bad? Or is a transit system in which one person drives in their own car on a congested road with other single drivers in their cars just a concept with inherent flaws? The shift from people living in and around cities to suburban sprawl certainly seems to have its price tags.
Having lived in other states with traffic laden rush hours, I can assure you it isnít a Connecticut problem. Too many cars on the road with drivers who donít follow the rules of the road (tailgating, speeding, incapable of merging, etc.).

Old 10-28-2017, 02:48 PM

15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Having lived in other states with traffic laden rush hours, I can assure you it isnít a Connecticut problem. Too many cars on the road with drivers who donít follow the rules of the road (tailgating, speeding, incapable of merging, etc.).
Truth. Too many impatient and rude drivers out there.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:12 PM

Million dollar question is... why are there more accidents on the Merrit & 95 in Fairfield than in Westchester??

Anyone have stats on that? Thats pretty much from my own eyes. I see wayy too many in CT vs NY

Old 10-29-2017, 01:01 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,388,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Million dollar question is... why are there more accidents on the Merrit & 95 in Fairfield than in Westchester??
Simple...sort of...Having lived in Westchester before moving here and growing up driving there, I can sum it up to there are more cross parkways and thruways to go in any direction in Westchester as opposed to us really just having Merritt and 95. They run parallel and there are no cross parkways to go across the state as easily as in Westchester. There are crazy and impatient drivers in NY too......just is not felt as much as here.....Take the Merritt......2 lanes.......Its 2017......does not work......2 lanes causes more people to drive nuts constantly trying to pass each other and tail gating. The exits here on the Merritt are odd.....they come up to fast to exit causing quick braking and rear end hits(tailgating) and here more then in NY people just don't get what merging on actually is.......or they just forgot.
Most parkways in NY are 3 lanes except for parts of the taconic and saw mill pkwy.....but again they are not crowded because there just many other outlets to go somewhere. That's my 2 cents from living in both places and driving in both.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:03 PM

4,772 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Many of the Merrit’s on and off ramps haven’t been improved since they were built back in the 1930’s. That’s why they tend to be so short, forcing drivers to go from 70 mph to 25 mph (I’m being realistic with the high speed well beyond the speed limit) at the split of a hair and having to stop and look towards on coming traffic before merging. Also, many on ramps are right after a tight turn on the parkway, effectively giving merging drivers a feeling of playing Russian roulette when attempting to merge into the traffic flow. This is simply a consequence of the Merritt being one of the first controlled access highways built in the USA. In the 1930’s most cars weren’t capable of driving beyond 40 mph or 50 mph. Today we see Ferraris speeding as if the Merritt is their private race track and everyone else is in their way.

Add to that the lack of real shoulders and the annoying deers...

I typed this on my iPhone, so I’m sure I misspelled a word or two. Its too tedious to go back and fix them on this phone. Excuse me. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or