U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:06 AM

14,714 posts, read 17,933,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
What irks me is when they get pinched or are at least smart enough to not thread the needle. They still cause a huge backup and then have to be guided off the road safely. If they were stopped right at the entrance with a cheap barrier that could be made to look complimentary to the surrounding area it would go a long way to prevent this. Maybe you don't have them at every entrance but the ones that are near major roads or high usage ramps. For instance you could skip putting one at say exit 63 but definitely would want something down by 59 or in FFC.
Even if it's a yellow barrier similar to the ones at Drive-Thrus and parking garages, a little "out of place" style would be worth a few lives and a lot of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM

3,557 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Even if it's a yellow barrier similar to the ones at Drive-Thrus and parking garages, a little "out of place" style would be worth a few lives and a lot of traffic.
Here in Boston, Storrow and Memorial Drives have the same issue with low bridges and a truck prohibition. They have rubber flap signs, chains hanging down, flashing yellow lights, signs up and down the road, low bridge signs on the bridges. Guess what? The drivers still ignore them.

What they need are laser sensors that scan the on ramps that will deploy a set of retractable spike strips to deflate the tires of those trucks.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:56 AM

64,980 posts, read 47,284,481 times
I just hope those Merritt Bridges NEVER get touched! Can you imagine how many trucks would get away with being on the Merritt if they were able to squeeze through??

I have seen signs in CT But Like you guys are mentioning, the simplest and probably most effect way is to hang a sign down that says No Trucks with a 2 ton spike ball on the end of it the height of the truck windshield.

Also to note... How fast was the Lexus going behind that truck? because that truck surely wasn't going more than 20 mph under that bridge, right? I'm sure the truck was going slow to see if he can make it? Maybe not. Wonder if the Lexus was tailgaiting as people love to do and once it hit the overpass he collided.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:46 PM

14,714 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I just hope those Merritt Bridges NEVER get touched! Can you imagine how many trucks would get away with being on the Merritt if they were able to squeeze through??

I have seen signs in CT But Like you guys are mentioning, the simplest and probably most effect way is to hang a sign down that says No Trucks with a 2 ton spike ball on the end of it the height of the truck windshield.

Also to note... How fast was the Lexus going behind that truck? because that truck surely wasn't going more than 20 mph under that bridge, right? I'm sure the truck was going slow to see if he can make it? Maybe not. Wonder if the Lexus was tailgaiting as people love to do and once it hit the overpass he collided.
Not to be gruesome, but with a lot of truck bumpers being high, you don't have to be going fast for essentially decapitation.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:58 PM

8,830 posts, read 14,231,780 times
Not to defend the trucks, but these kinds of roads aren't in too many parts of the country and while they should still pay attention to signs, etc. they may not be used to thinking about this if they are not in this neck of the woods too often.

Again, not a defense, more of an explanation of why I think this happens sometimes....

Old 11-02-2017, 01:18 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Not to defend the trucks, but these kinds of roads aren't in too many parts of the country and while they should still pay attention to signs, etc. they may not be used to thinking about this if they are not in this neck of the woods too often.

Again, not a defense, more of an explanation of why I think this happens sometimes....
I believe we have had this discussion before. A lot of truckers use a commercial GPS that would tell them not to use the parkway. However some use a cheap regular GPS which will not tell you the difference.

The state has looked at installing height barriers and electronic warning systems on the parkway ramps but they are very costly, are kind of ugly for a designated "Scenic Highway" and are only moderately effective in stopping trucks. It is hard to justify spending multiple millions to prevent something that occurs only a couple of times a year. Jay

Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,388,941 times
I passed this moments after it happened.......I didn't think it looked very good.......That's sad

Old 11-02-2017, 03:16 PM

3,557 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Quote:
I don't need to wonder if the Lexus was tailgating. When I travel on the Merritt it's usually during times of heavy traffic with everyone going will over the speed limit about 5' apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not to be gruesome, but with a lot of truck bumpers being high, you don't have to be going fast for essentially decapitation.
Truck bumpers in the rear are designed specifically to prevent under running and have been around since the early 50's:

Unfortunately, they only work properly if the hit is straight on. At an offset of less than 50%, they bend and tend to cause tremendous damage.

This new style tends to work better on offset crashes:

Old 11-02-2017, 03:17 PM

4,772 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Come on Wishes,

We've all seen the signs that not only prohibits trucks from entering the Merritt, but also explain that bridges are too low.

Some of these truckers think they are so smart and smooth that no one will notice them breaking the law.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:21 PM

4,772 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Quote:
Definitely the state will not touch the bridges, except to restore them and give them maintenance. Many of those bridges are protected as historical structures, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium
I don't think the truck driver was even thinking about the height of the bridge until after the fact. If he was testing the waters, so to speak, I think he would had gone on the left lane since it's quite obvious to anyone paying attention to the bridges that the center stretch is the highest point. That he kept going on the right lane, even though the bridge is visibly lower on that side, says to me that he was not putting attention. Perhaps the adrenaline of 'breaking the law and getting away with it' cloud his judgement and his visual focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or