Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times

Advertisements

In doing some research on this topic, I found these boards and thought I might be able to get some helpful advice. My husband has a new job in Darien, CT and we are now trying to find a home that will be within a reasonable commute. We had been looking into Wilton and Weston, and to a lesser extent, Fairfield, but I've realized that we can get a lot more for our money if we extend our search to cities a bit further out. We're interested in Newtown, but concerned that the commute would be too much with rush hour traffic. Does anyone have any experience with this commute that could give us an estimate as to what a normal day/normal rush hour traffic would look like? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 03:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Depending on what route you take it can be just over an hour drive from Newtown to Darien. Most of it is back roads until you get to Trumbell and from there you take the Merritt Parkway to Darien. The fastest route means you'll have to take the Merritt Parkway which is very unpredictable when it comes to traffic. Accidents are very common on that stretch of roadway. While you did give out some good information, we would need your budget so we can help narrow down your choices.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:25 PM

25 posts, read 33,069 times
I commute from Shelton to Norwalk and it is pretty rough, at least 30 minutes but usually 45 or more with traffic. There will ALWAYS be traffic. Consider Redding or Ridgefield, or even Norwalk if you don't have kids.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:34 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoct17 View Post
In doing some research on this topic, I found these boards and thought I might be able to get some helpful advice. My husband has a new job in Darien, CT and we are now trying to find a home that will be within a reasonable commute. We had been looking into Wilton and Weston, and to a lesser extent, Fairfield, but I've realized that we can get a lot more for our money if we extend our search to cities a bit further out. We're interested in Newtown, but concerned that the commute would be too much with rush hour traffic. Does anyone have any experience with this commute that could give us an estimate as to what a normal day/normal rush hour traffic would look like? Thanks!
I am originally from Stamford but my husband and I bought a house in Trumbull. We commuted to Stamford for about 10 years on the Merritt, and back roads when there was an accident on the Merritt. It is a rough commute.

My brother lives in Newtown and he would never entertain the thought of working in Stamford/Darien. I bet there are some who do it though. Wilton and Fairfield might not be too bad. I still go down to Norwalk 1 day a week not during the worst peak hours. On a bad day it could take a solid hour if not more.

If you buy in Fairfield or Wilton and take the drive during peak (7 am to 10 am and 4 pm to 7:00) I would plan on about 45 minutes to 1 hour. To me it seems like every year it is getting a little worse and worse. I am assuming the job in Darien is near the Thruway.

Another brother still lives in Stamford. When I go and visit him I have to leave by 3:00 to beat the traffic home. There is this little window of time during the day when the traffic is good going and coming to Stamford now.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:33 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times
Fairfield might not be too bad if your husband can take the Metro North railroad into Darien.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Can he take the train?

In that case, Fairfield would be fine, or Trumbull, Shelton, Milford, Orange if you want even more for your money. Easy train commute.

By car, 95 is a mess.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:54 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Can he take the train?

In that case, Fairfield would be fine, or Trumbull, Shelton, Milford, Orange if you want even more for your money. Easy train commute.

By car, 95 is a mess.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:15 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
The more you can avoid 95 the better. Like others have said, Newtown will be mostly a backroad commute to Darien (its possible to make it a fully backroad commute if you want) but it will be at least a hour. I would suggest you look at Ridgefield and Redding in addition to Wilton and Weston. All offer a backroad commute to Darien when 95 is a mess and commute times should be well less than an hour.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:48 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The more you can avoid 95 the better. Like others have said, Newtown will be mostly a backroad commute to Darien (its possible to make it a fully backroad commute if you want) but it will be at least a hour. I would suggest you look at Ridgefield and Redding in addition to Wilton and Weston. All offer a backroad commute to Darien when 95 is a mess and commute times should be well less than an hour.
If you live in the SW corner of Newtown, you are right next to Redding, so there would be a comparable commute from there.

But if you live in that part of Newtown (or most/all of Redding), getting daily shopping and other chores done will take a lot of driving.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoct17 View Post
From Poverty Hallow section of Newtown, would be an hour to Darien Post Rd near downtown. All backroads (Rt 58 to 136 or Rt 53) through Redding, Weston, Cranbury, West Norwalk. No 95 or Merritt needed. Going through Trumbull then Merritt would be backtracking and hell. From Sandy Hook part of Newtown, add 15 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut