Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 AM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

First step is get the job. That might make the goal-get to 2nd interview, if they do them. My last 3 corps did for anything beyond staff level jobs. In all likelihood, they would be interviewing at least 6 candidates this round, so right now, if you are all planning on where to commute from, 5 of you, at minimum, would be considering logistics unnecessarily.

With nothing else possible at the moment, and past halfway point on UI, doing extremely well Monday is imperative.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 06-18-2017 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Fairfield is where the traffic begins... I drove down last week around 730 to get a 1030 flight at HPN. I didn't get to HPN until 915..

Traffic was HORRENDOUS.
I live in Fairfield, and if I had the good fortune to work in downtown Stamford (I work in New York), I would most definitely take the train. The psychic cost of sitting in all that traffic day after day would have to be very high.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sounds awful. I'd rather pay the $100 a month for the parking garage near the company's building.
What sounds awful? That you have to pay for parking?

You're an odd one...

Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Fairfield is where the traffic begins... I drove down last week around 730 to get a 1030 flight at HPN. I didn't get to HPN until 915..

Traffic was HORRENDOUS.
Agree. Don't even think about driving from Ridgefield, Fairfield, Westport. A train commute from Milford is quicker than driving from those places.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:21 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What sounds awful? That you have to pay for parking?

You're an odd one...
My parking costs $420 per year. I would take that any day over $100 per month in a company garage, on top of wear and tear on my car and the misery of sitting in traffic for hours. I like to drive, but only when I am relatively unimpeded and can indulge my need for speed. A commute to Stamford doesn't satisfy that.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I am now thinking of cancelling tomorrow afternoon's interview in Stamford. The reason? It wasn't obtained via networking, but online application instead. I've been thinking a lot about what everyone on here has said regarding networking in order to find a job. The fact that I landed this interview from online application could be indicative of two things: (1) the company is desperate for candidates, or (2) my failure to have networked more extensively all these years. Therefore, I am starting to form the opinion that this job is not really a "legit" job. I just feel like I'm "doing it wrong" when it comes to job hunting and I don't want the habit to continue.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:07 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Quote:
I am now thinking of cancelling tomorrow afternoon's interview in Stamford. The reason? It wasn't obtained via networking, but online application instead. I've been thinking a lot about what everyone on here has said regarding networking in order to find a job. The fact that I landed this interview from online application could be indicative of two things: (1) the company is desperate for candidates, or (2) my failure to have networked more extensively all these years. Therefore, I am starting to form the opinion that this job is not really a "legit" job. I just feel like I'm "doing it wrong" when it comes to job hunting and I don't want the habit to continue.
Statements like this indicate a real derangement. Why would you cancel any in personal interviews. You'll gain experience at the very least and a FT position in the best case. Stop over analyzing and performing your voodoo 'rationalization'. Also drop the aversion to a 50 hour work week. I have three kids and log 70+ hours a week before commuting for an employer that would make Steve Jobs blush at his peak.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Statements like this indicate a real derangement. Why would you cancel any in personal interviews. You'll gain experience at the very least and a FT position in the best case. Stop over analyzing and performing your voodoo 'rationalization'. Also drop the aversion to a 50 hour work week. I have three kids and log 70+ hours a week before commuting for an employer that would make Steve Jobs blush at his peak.
My first job worked me 50-70 hours per week. After a year and a half, I was severely burnt out. Is it really smart to put myself through that again? Working that much does not appeal to me at all. Like I said, I am not interested in coming home at 8:00pm or later every night, only to have to go to bed two hours later. You do what works for you. I'll do what works for me. Some people enjoy working long hours on a constant basis. Most people, including myself, do not enjoy that at all.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:33 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Not legit? Just because an employer still uses Classifieds in one form or another to find a potential candidate for employment (regardless of the position or industry) I would not denigrate this method as being inferior to other methods. Finding a job through someone you know is not always going to lead to a guarantee of a good work environment.

I know people in White Collar positions as well as Blue Collar and I've yet to hear from anyone that found a job through a Classified that thought the method of recruitment was poor. I've found most of my work via Classifieds and rarely through someone I know. Wreaks of nepotism in my mind and that often times leads to a bad work environment. Having been a manager I know full well that just because people can get along on a social level does not mean they can work together. My best friend and I are proof of that. Finding people that possess the right skill set and personalities and character to function as a team is more important than anything at creating a positive work place which leads to superior service or product development.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 06-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Typos galore. LOL

Old 06-18-2017, 01:35 PM

712 posts, read 530,331 times
Quote:
My first job worked me 50-70 hours per week. After a year and a half, I was severely burnt out. Is it really smart to put myself through that again? Working that much does not appeal to me at all. Like I said, I am not interested in coming home at 8:00pm or later every night, only to have to go to bed two hours later. You do what works for you. I'll do what works for me. Some people enjoy working long hours on a constant basis. Most people, including myself, do not enjoy that at all.
Totally agree with you. People shouldn't be forced to work more than 40 regularly. That was the whole point of fdr's new deal. You only live once.

That being said, I have no idea why you'd cancel your interview because of what some random strangers on the internet say. Who cares. Go there and you might find it's a great fit for you. You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. It says you're coming back to FFC. Where are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut