Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
CT lacks well-known (outside of CT) destinations. That's why I imagine it ranked so low. I did not even check out the click-bait article, but I would bet money that NJ and NH ranked pretty low among the Northeast states as well. Not that I have anything against any of them, but if you try to rattle off something appealing that each Northeast state might have to offer that someone from the outside would think is unique and might actually want to see, it's all easy until you get to NJ, CT, and NH. There's no quintessential "Americana" road trip appeal to any of these states. None that I can think of at least... PA, Philadelphia and the Liberty Bell, of course, and maybe Amish folks if you're into that; NY, NYC of course and perhaps the Adirondacks if you're an outdoorsy type; MA = Boston/Lexington-Concord/Cape Cod; Rhode Island, Newport mansions and the ocean/water almost everywhere;Maine, lobsters and lighthouses, and moose if you like them; Vermont, skiing; CT, ???; NJ, the shore and boardwalk perhaps? Other than that???? NH, ???
New Hampshire is easy. The White Mountains. Portsmouth also gets a decent amount of tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:24 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Hampshire is easy. The White Mountains. Portsmouth also gets a decent amount of tourists.
Franconia Notch and Lake Winnipesaukee. New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I'm going on vaca next week......Maine....

But honestly, there are a lot of day trip activities around in CT.... Mystic Seaport, Fort Trumbull, Beardsley Zoo, wineries, etc...just have to dig for them on the CT.gov website. But if you are an out of stater, yeah....keep driving and go to Maine or the Cape.

Jim
Lake Compounce seems like a very well-love place to visit. I think it's all about how you raise your family and how badly you need someone else to entertain you. I love camping and woods, outdoors. That's what I consider a relaxing vacation. I guess others would consider that boring.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yeah, I have to vehemently disagree with this. The whole Mystic / Stonington area alone...lots of states would kill for. Come on, you telling me Alabama is a better summer destination? Indiana (my home state by the way)?
Better? Perhaps not, but don't poo poo it completely.

Examples...

Desoto Caverns in Childersburg
Noccalula Falls in Gadsden
Moundville Archaeological Park in Moundville
Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville
Sloss Furnace in Birmingham

And those are just off the top of my head.

Then there's the obvious draw of the Gulf coast. Because nobody wants to go to the beach in the summer.

There's not much I like about this state, but it's certainly got plenty to do for a tourist.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:46 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Better? Perhaps not, but don't poo poo it completely.

Examples...

Desoto Caverns in Childersburg
Noccalula Falls in Gadsden
Moundville Archaeological Park in Moundville
Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville
Sloss Furnace in Birmingham

And those are just off the top of my head.

Then there's the obvious draw of the Gulf coast. Because nobody wants to go to the beach in the summer.

There's not much I like about this state, but it's certainly got plenty to do for a tourist.
No disparagement intended against Alabama! It was just the first state that popped into my head as an example...along with my home state of Indiana. I've spent time in Montgomery many years ago, and hats off to the friendliness of the folks down there!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If you weren't impressed by the Yale Art Gallery, I'd suggest you hate art. It's absolutely world class.
It's great for something to do on a Feb weekend. As a summer tourist destination I'll look for the exit sign.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:39 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
CT lacks well-known (outside of CT) destinations. That's why I imagine it ranked so low. I did not even check out the click-bait article, but I would bet money that NJ and NH ranked pretty low among the Northeast states as well. Not that I have anything against any of them, but if you try to rattle off something appealing that each Northeast state might have to offer that someone from the outside would think is unique and might actually want to see, it's all easy until you get to NJ, CT, and NH. There's no quintessential "Americana" road trip appeal to any of these states. None that I can think of at least... PA, Philadelphia and the Liberty Bell, of course, and maybe Amish folks if you're into that; NY, NYC of course and perhaps the Adirondacks if you're an outdoorsy type; MA = Boston/Lexington-Concord/Cape Cod; Rhode Island, Newport mansions and the ocean/water almost everywhere;Maine, lobsters and lighthouses, and moose if you like them; Vermont, skiing; CT, ???; NJ, the shore and boardwalk perhaps? Other than that???? NH, ???
Since we are talking day-trips, you really are talking only places known regionally. Mystic is very well known throughout the northeast. I have friends from New Jersey that brought their family there for a few days. Mystic Aquarium drew nearly 719,000 visitors last year according to a survey of the Hartford Business Journal. I would think the Seaport drew quite a few as well.

Also do not forget Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun which still draw thousands each day from all over the region. Foxwoods drew 12.7 million visitors while Mohegan drew 9 million. I highly doubt all of these are from Connecticut itself. Jay

Old 06-23-2017, 09:07 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Since we are talking day-trips, you really are talking only places known regionally. Mystic is very well known throughout the northeast. I have friends from New Jersey that brought their family there for a few days. Mystic Aquarium drew nearly 719,000 visitors last year according to a survey of the Hartford Business Journal. I would think the Seaport drew quite a few as well.

Also do not forget Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun which still draw thousands each day from all over the region. Foxwoods drew 12.7 million visitors while Mohegan drew 9 million. I highly doubt all of these are from Connecticut itself. Jay

I didn't know we were talking day trips - I thought the gist of the article was that we ranked at the bottom nationally for road trip destinations.

I realize that there are a lot of day trip destinations for locals in CT and those in the immediate region. I'm just saying that CT does not have a single stand-out attraction which would draw people from across the country and which would make us a true road-trip destination location. We do not have that, like NY does, like MA does, etc.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Quote:
NH Really?? As covered by other posters the big items: The white mountains, Lake Winnipesaukee, Hampton beach, Portsmouth, NHMS, The Appalachian Trail,

There are also many other reasons people from out of state travel to NH: The numerous Ski-resorts in the winter time, the interconnected snowmobile trail system, Ride the Wilds the largest ATV trail system in the North-east, other smaller yet beautiful desination lakes (Sunapee, Squam, Umbagog, Winnisquam, newfound, etc etc) The saco river, North Conway, The kancamagus.

Even NJ (a place im not a fan of ) has some spots i can think of that people drive out of state for: Atlantic City, wildwood cape may, etc

Old 06-23-2017, 09:20 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
NH Really?? As covered by other posters the big items: The white mountains, Lake Winnipesaukee, Hampton beach, Portsmouth, NHMS, The Appalachian Trail,

There are also many other reasons people from out of state travel to NH: The numerous Ski-resorts in the winter time, the interconnected snowmobile trail system, Ride the Wilds the largest ATV trail system in the North-east, other smaller yet beautiful desination lakes (Sunapee, Squam, Umbagog, Winnisquam, newfound, etc etc) The saco river, North Conway, The kancamagus.

Even NJ (a place im not a fan of ) has some spots i can think of that people drive out of state for: Atlantic City, wildwood cape may, etc

I realize those things -- my husband's family has a summer house in NH -- it's a beautiful state and I love it. All I am saying is that NH does not have the same allure for road trippers, on a national level (which is what the article is about, i.e. CT is dead last in the Country), as do other states. And in the northeast alone, I'm pretty sure there are other states that would think attract more vacationers from across the country than NH does (i.e. NY, MA, VT, ME).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut