Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 PM

302 posts, read 220,288 times

Advertisements

The wave of the future for schooling, I think, will be school choice.

Danbury has this in spades. I have already posted about the myriad of schooling options in Danbury.

Danbury made the niche list of top high schools in the state of CT and has six schools of distinction.

Folks love Park Avenue School, Hayestown School, Shelter Rock School, the Western Academy of International Studies, Great Plain School, Saint Joseph School (blue ribbon), Saint Gregory School (blue ribbon), Wooster School, Western Middle School, Immaculate High School (ranked 8th top Catholic high school in CT); Abbot Tech is very popular and I have met dozens of Danbury residents that are thrilled with their education; Danbury kids, like other kids in this area, can also attend Interdistrict Tech schools.

I am leaving out a new Charter School coming to Danbury and other private academies.

The key is: you have to go to these schools, meet the staff and kids and families and find the right school for your child.

Since there are SO many eclectic and positive choices in Danbury (versus other towns that do not have this huge range of choices) families hit upon the perfect fit.

And, since housing prices are so incredibly low here, well, they utilize the power of school choice.

I totally left out the Montessori school and Waldorf school choices here along with other faith based schools and Workspace Academy, yet another cutting edge education choice here in Danbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM

Danbury has one the most innovative school choice options in CT.

Check out Workspace Academy. This place is for adventurous kids who are ready to excel.

Danbury has a school that is right for everyone. That is what makes it so great.

https://patch.com/connecticut/bethel...tting-ceremony

Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstermomdanbury View Post
And, since housing prices are so incredibly low here, well, they utilize the power of school choice.
Or just live in a nearby town like Bethel and, maybe, pay a little extra (but not much) for good public schools.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Workspace Academy Opens to an Eager School Choice Population

Danbury actually has MORE cool schooling options that most towns.

Danbury is on the cutting edge.

The facility has been designed to revolutionize the way we look at and approach educating our youth. The facility is over 30,000 square feet and houses over 25 learning areas, including a maker space, a publishing house, a Woodworking/Protype Lab, a Research Lab, a Global Humanities room that uses GIS technology, a Entrepreneurial Wing modeled after GOOGLE, a A/V theatre classroom, and so much more! There is literally nothing like this facility in the United States, a real groundbreaking concept.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:03 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Or just live in a nearby town like Bethel and, maybe, pay a little extra (but not much) for good public schools.
I agree. The problem with those specialty schools is there is no gaurenttee that your child will be accepted into them. There is a lot of competition for the better schools. Give me a community with good schools and not one based on siphoning off the top students to make them look successful. Jay

Old 08-14-2017, 06:17 PM

Default Towns

Well, Jay, there are plenty of towns like that in Fairfield County and beyond.

Then, there are hipsterparents who want something different than a homogeneous school district, house with high taxes to pay for such and the lifestyle that goes with that.

This thread is for hipsterparents not folks looking for Darien or New Canaan.

Same was said about Stamford by the way, that it has lousy schools.

Hipsterparents don't let that misinformation stop them.

Most of it is simply that, bias and misinformation.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM

This thread is for hipsterparents.

All are welcome to read and, naturally, comment. But, my efforts here are not to prove that Danbury is Westport, CT.

Instead, it's a GREAT town for hipsterparents!

Last edited by hipstermomdanbury; 08-14-2017 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-14-2017, 08:32 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
I feel like Trumbull needs a thread like this.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 AM

Default Trumbull is Great

Trumbull is great!

I hope somebody from Trumbull steps in and sets up a thread.

It's a very cool town.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:48 AM

I forgot to mention that Danbury has a preschool option called New England County Day School. Danbury is also home of the Hudson County Montessori School.

There are also two very popular preschool programs at:

Saint Joseph School (this is a very artsy school with an AMAZING MUSIC program).
This preschool has two options: Tuesday Thursday 8:35 to 11:20 AM part-time ($2,825) I know, what a great price!
and fulltime 8:35 AM to 1 PM (3 year olds).

Four year olds can go 8:35 AM to 3 PM (full time) or part-time

Saint Gregory has

Pre-K 3 and Pre-K 4
Both have part-time and full-time options...which is amazing.

They really provide tons of choices.

Saint Joseph has before and after care at an amazing price too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut